Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

1 recommendation

[TV] the "HD Box" for full home PVR

Has anyone purchased this service? It sounds like you have one HD PVR in your system (with all the regular features), and you have another box in a separate room that can tune live channels and view anything you've recorded on the PVR, and possibly request recordings/instant playback/pause.

would anyone like to comment on the capability, ideosyncracies, or does anyone have an opinion on the service?

my initial take is that it appears to be cheaper than even one HDPVR and a completely separate non-PVR box, which is good, but maybe there'd be some contention with the tuners for instant playback/pause? on the other hand, DISH and DTV have had something similar working well for years, so it's probably smooth functioning, yes?

thanks for any help. i searched in the forum and didn't see anything on point.
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
said by jig:

Has anyone purchased this service? It sounds like you have one HD PVR in your system (with all the regular features), and you have another box in a separate room that can tune live channels and view anything you've recorded on the PVR, and possibly request recordings/instant playback/pause.

would anyone like to comment on the capability, ideosyncracies, or does anyone have an opinion on the service?

my initial take is that it appears to be cheaper than even one HDPVR and a completely separate non-PVR box, which is good, but maybe there'd be some contention with the tuners for instant playback/pause? on the other hand, DISH and DTV have had something similar working well for years, so it's probably smooth functioning, yes?

thanks for any help. i searched in the forum and didn't see anything on point.

Normally 3510m's or 3400m's running Navigator. It's okay, but like iGuide is running about 8-10 years behind DirectTV, FIOS, or Dish's GUI's.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Isn't iGuide more stable than Navigator? Motorola DCX3400 DVR is buggy enough.

jig

Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to chamberc
thanks!

is the system slow, or substantially not as functional as an HD PVR and a separate HD box (neglecting the fact that you can't watch PVR stuff on the other HD box)?

any quality issues watching PVR stuff? is it compressed differently when it's transmitted box->box? does the PVR get slow when the remote box is watching a recorded program? does it limit the ability to record two shows at once (i'm guessing that since now I can watch a recorded and record two things simultaneously, one of those slots would be lost if the remote box was watching a recorded show)?
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

Isn't iGuide more stable than Navigator? Motorola DCX3400 DVR is buggy enough.

Not in my experience, but I've only used iGuide since 2005 and I guess Navigator for a couple of years.

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to jig
said by jig:

thanks!

is the system slow, or substantially not as functional as an HD PVR and a separate HD box (neglecting the fact that you can't watch PVR stuff on the other HD box)?

any quality issues watching PVR stuff? is it compressed differently when it's transmitted box->box? does the PVR get slow when the remote box is watching a recorded program? does it limit the ability to record two shows at once (i'm guessing that since now I can watch a recorded and record two things simultaneously, one of those slots would be lost if the remote box was watching a recorded show)?

You can watch programs recorded on the DVR on the other HD sub boxes. The quality is the same whether playback is on the DVR or the playback box.

The remote box is a standalone tuner, so you could be recording two shows on the DVR, and watching either a playback on the remote box, or another channel live.

jig

Hacienda Heights, CA
sorry for the barrage of Q's. one more:

could I record two shows and watch a recorded show on the PVR, and at the same time watch the same or a different recorded show on the remote box?

if so, then this set up appears to be much cheaper than my current service (HD-PVR + separate HD Box), and with added functionality - though I don't know why.
--

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

said by jig:

sorry for the barrage of Q's. one more:

could I record two shows and watch a recorded show on the PVR, and at the same time watch the same or a different recorded show on the remote box?

if so, then this set up appears to be much cheaper than my current service (HD-PVR + separate HD Box), and with added functionality - though I don't know why.

Yes.

Yep, that's right.

In my case, I have 2 whole house DVR's (so I can record 4 streams at the same time), and 1 playback box.

jig

Hacienda Heights, CA
I appreciate your time.

I've stuck with one of the elder non-PVR HD boxes up till now because it's in our bedroom and it doesn't whine or make other electronic sounds (typically hard drive related, but sometimes not). My hope is that the playback box will be similarly substantially silent, but the savings alone is worth the test.

thanks so much!
--

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jig
said by jig:

thanks!

well on the DCX3510M the boxes seem to be pretty fast in changing channels but are a little bit slower than iGuide but it is functional and way better than several years ago when Navigator was first released

Vertigo

@myvzw.com
reply to jig

Re: [TV] the "HD Box" for full home PVR

Jig, I happen to be on the San Gabriel Valley system as well. I can confirm that Time Warner is handing out DCX3510m's mostly for whole house DVR. We don't have the service but got a DCX3510m for the added storage capacity. We also have a DCX3400. While I can't comment directly on the Whole House setup, I will say the DCX3510m is a mixed bag.

PROS:
+lightweight and less power consumption
+more modern guide
+no ad banner on the bottom
+makes almost no noise

CONS
-Channel changes and guide scrolling, while generally quick, stutter at random.
-Every update pushed causes weird anomalies requiring reboots.
-Confusing settings menu and vod setup.

Honestly I wouldn't pay $40 per month for a WH DVR and a host box, but if you're getting a deal it could be worth it. I'm considering getting a Ceton system and just running it from my PC.

jig

Hacienda Heights, CA
i've been thinking about an HDHomeRun system for a while, but then there's this:

»Cable Industry Tries to Kill the CableCARD for Good

so, i'm not sure if i should invest in a cablecard based system...
--