how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RedDevil

join:2013-08-16

[Internet] Bell Internet keeps disconnecting

Hi,

My internet consistently disconnects during downloading/uploading basically during heavy usage. But during light usage it disconnects atleast once a day. I have the sagemcom modem with 25mbps download and 7mbps upload speed. To fix the problem I have to reboot the modem until it happens again.

My problem is basically this - »[Internet] Sagemcom f@st 2864 disconnection problems except the lights still remain blue on the modem while I can't browse, stream or do anything on the internet.

Please advice me on what I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

benoitgphoto

join:2013-08-13
Saint-Jerome, QC
I have the same issue. Quick questions :

1.Do you have the Fibe TV too and are you loosing the TV signal at the same time?
2. Do you use the Sagemcom modem to connect your devices to the internet or use your own router ?

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
reply to RedDevil
You need to request that your profile be changed to the interleaved profile. That will eliminate the problem.

RedDevil

reply to benoitgphoto
I don't have Fibe TV. I use Sagemcom router to connect my devices. I can ping fine when the internet isn't working.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to RedDevil
try what ajhaji sugested

RedDevil

I was chatting with Bell support to change my profile they said that that's not the problem so they shipped a new modem for me which will come in 24 hours. But I've already tried two different Sagemcom modems and it's the same problem.

lowping

join:2013-08-04
said by RedDevil:

I was chatting with Bell support to change my profile they said that that's not the problem so they shipped a new modem for me which will come in 24 hours. But I've already tried two different Sagemcom modems and it's the same problem.

You need to post in the direct forum.
»Bell Canada Direct

RedDevil

I did today at 4am but still no reply from them.

impalass1369

join:2007-09-11
Mercier, QC
I had that same problem with a 6520 modem and bell sent a tech to fix the line and no more problems.

lowping

said by impalass1369:

I had that same problem with a 6520 modem and bell sent a tech to fix the line and no more problems.

Not same problem. He is experiencing a connect can't browse issue (he can still ping), while you had a intermittent connection.

btech805

join:2013-08-01
Greely, ON
kudos:11
If the new modem doesn't fix it pm me the phone# ill make sure the cross connects are built in

planiwa

join:2009-02-19
Toronto M5S
kudos:1
I'm interested in this sort of problem because of what we can learn from it about problem solving. When I get a chance I will post a summary of what is known about this condition.

I understand that Bell is aware of the problem and is waiting for Ikanos (aka "Stinger"?) to correct it. (deja-vu again? )

(While I acknowledge that most people touched by this are users who just want the problem to go away, I am someone else who wants to study, diagnose, and understand the problem, because my bias prefers solutions that are based on understanding.

So, for now I have a way of detecting the problem and "fixing" it within 15 minutes (if it persists that long). That way the "damage" is limited, while we can continue to study the condition.)

WilsonW

join:2013-08-17
reply to RedDevil
I have the same problem for about two/three months. Same modem, can ping when there is no internet connection. Reboot modem to restart internet connection.
On my fifth escalation with Bell. Tried new modem, Service Tech has been here and is coming again tomorrow morning. Talk to a tech on the phone regarding profile, he tried to switch me to IPTV profile but he said it does not work with my setup.

Last try and I will look for another option.

lowping

reply to btech805
said by btech805:

If the new modem doesn't fix it pm me the phone# ill make sure the cross connects are built in

That doesn't even make sense, he wouldn't be able to go on internet without cross connects.

lowping

3 edits
reply to planiwa
said by planiwa:

I'm interested in this sort of problem because of what we can learn from it about problem solving. When I get a chance I will post a summary of what is known about this condition.

I understand that Bell is aware of the problem and is waiting for Ikanos (aka "Stinger"?) to correct it. (deja-vu again? )

(While I acknowledge that most people touched by this are users who just want the problem to go away, I am someone else who wants to study, diagnose, and understand the problem, because my bias prefers solutions that are based on understanding.

So, for now I have a way of detecting the problem and "fixing" it within 15 minutes (if it persists that long). That way the "damage" is limited, while we can continue to study the condition.)

It's a MTU issue.

»[DSL] Sagemcom sync-no-surf fix/workaround

At one point, the sagemcom and the stinger aren't able to fragment pass a certain packet size. If you change the MTU settings in the sagemcom to the limit (do a few ping test to see what it is), everything should be working.

People with IPTV don't suffer from this because they're on a different profile and this doesn't happen for some reason.

lowping

reply to WilsonW
said by WilsonW:

I have the same problem for about two/three months. Same modem, can ping when there is no internet connection. Reboot modem to restart internet connection.
On my fifth escalation with Bell. Tried new modem, Service Tech has been here and is coming again tomorrow morning. Talk to a tech on the phone regarding profile, he tried to switch me to IPTV profile but he said it does not work with my setup.

Last try and I will look for another option.

I'm 99% sure it would work with your setup if you're having the same issue.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
reply to lowping
Thanks for that link. This is consistent with my findings, but it seems more complex than that. For example, I found that Bell's name-servers, as well as google.ca, google.com, www.google.com all respond erratically to ping, wget, and curl. Even teksavvy, cisco, and akamai have their own erraticisms.

I monitored packet length limits for about a week and found periods of max ping length of 84, for typically 3 minutes, many times a day, but without any other apparent failure.

This is definitely a work in progress.

WilsonW

join:2013-08-17
reply to lowping
Tech told me he is going to change my connection to another port and see if that will help. Not sure what that means, he had to go to the street to do this.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to WilsonW
said by WilsonW:

Talk to a tech on the phone regarding profile, he tried to switch me to IPTV profile but he said it does not work with my setup.

That tech doesn't know what he's talking about... a FibeTV profile will work. And it will fix your sync-no-surf issues.

Putting you on a different port isn't going to solve anything either, you'll still have the same problem.

lowping

reply to WilsonW
said by WilsonW:

Tech told me he is going to change my connection to another port and see if that will help. Not sure what that means, he had to go to the street to do this.

If he puts you on a 7330, it may solve your issue. But If you stay on a stinger, the only way to "fix" it seems to be a IPTV profile.

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

2 edits
said by lowping:

If he puts you on a 7330, it may solve your issue. But If you stay on a stinger, the only way to "fix" it seems to be a IPTV profile.

It won't, same thing happens on 7330s unfortunately.

Changing the MTU might be a temp fix, but there's still an underlying issue with either the firmware, or the chipset itself.

lowping

said by xsbell:

said by lowping:

Changing the MTU might be a temp fix, but there's still an underlying issue with either the firmware, or the chipset itself.

You've heard of people on 7330 having this issue ? As far as I remember, I didn't had any issue when switched to a 7330.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
FWIW, I monitored two sites for several days, one 7330 and one IKNS, for ICMP packet-length sensitivity. The results were similar.

It would be helpful to get more clarity on questions such as:

1. Which hardware is affected? -- 7330 and/or IKNS
2. What symptoms can we measure when the problem state is acute? -- can ping (reference host), but cannot do (what exactly).
3. What symptoms can we measure when the problem state is not yet acute? -- can ping short packets (eg 84) but not longer packets (eg 85) to reference hosts.
4. What interventions end the problem state? -- resync, but not re-PPP.
5. What fixes are known? -- IPTV or Interleaved.
6. What is known about the failure mechanism? -- MTU? Timing? Software "side-effect" errors?
7. How can the problem state be produced, easily, quickly, reliably?
8. Rigorously confirmed, reproducible, documented data on the above.

All of the above are perfectly amenable to collaborative efforts.

xsbell1

@184.151.63.x
reply to lowping
said by lowping:

said by xsbell:

said by lowping:

You've heard of people on 7330 having this issue ? As far as I remember, I didn't had any issue when switched to a 7330.

Yup. My friend (also a Bell tech) just did his own 50/10 install and was having the same sync-no-surf issues. He gave himself a FibeTV profile and it hasn't happened since.

btech805

Greely, ON
reply to lowping
If the wrong cross connect sessions are in then it will cause a no surf issue. Modem will be synced and show there's surf but you cant do anything. Some connection hubs came from the factory and automatically pull a standard 35 session from the port whereas we now use a stacked 35 session to pair it with the 36 session if and when iptv is ordered, rendering the standard session unusable.

btech805

Greely, ON
reply to xsbell1
There is a regular vdsl interleaved profile without having to use a fibetv interleaved profile. Interleaved profiles will reroute packets the are dropping and solve the sync no surf issue but interleaved isn't a fix all solution when there is a physical problem causing the packets to be dropped or lost. But it would probably fix your problem for now.

xsbell

Canada
reply to RedDevil
There are many interleaved profiles with different INP (impluse noise protection) and delay settings.. I haven't tried all of them but none have worked so far, only FibeTV profiles seem to work, which has a higher INP and interleaver delay.

lowping

reply to btech805
said by btech805:

If the wrong cross connect sessions are in then it will cause a no surf issue. Modem will be synced and show there's surf but you cant do anything. Some connection hubs came from the factory and automatically pull a standard 35 session from the port whereas we now use a stacked 35 session to pair it with the 36 session if and when iptv is ordered, rendering the standard session unusable.

Yes, I know that. But this is not a cross connect problem since his problem is intermittent and ping are passing.