how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thomprod

join:2013-08-16
Waterford, MI

Adding a wireless receiver to existing U-Verse home

I currently subscribe to U-Verse service and have only my original wired DVR/receiver. The Home Gateway, DVR/receiver and TV are located at one end of a ranch and I want to add a wireless receiver for a second TV on the other side of the home. I understand the new wireless receiver would be free with my current U-300 package, but there would be a $49 upgrade fee, right? The WiFi signal from the Gateway does not work all the way to the other side of the house, so I doubt I could just add a wireless receiver without additional wiring of some kind. What are my options? What would AT&T charge me for installation?

Open basement?
The wireless tv gets its signal from a WAP (wireless access point)
This is normally connected to the RG with the supplied 4 ft Ethernet cable,
If issue is signal will not reach then need to move WAP closer to wireless set top box
Radio shack seels a premade 50 feet Ethernet cable for about $20.
If you could purchase and run yourself save some money.

Att request for new wire run , trip/labor $99, wire $55 total $154 plus $49 for wifi stb.
If going to pay may as well run new cable entire distance and install hardwire box save $49

thomprod

Waterford, MI

Thanks for the reply. We have no basement, but we do have an attic. The distance from the Gateway to the new TV is about 150 feet. Could I run Ethernet that far? Could I use existing voice phone wiring already in the bedroom? Maybe a WiFi range extender?

To my knowledge, adding any set top box to an existing account is $7 / month.
Adding a wireless receiver is a one time charge of $49 plus $7 per month.

Phone wiring is not cat5e, would likely be quad or cat3, neither should be used.
Wifi range extenders to my knowledge do not work with WAP.
Is 150 feet including up and down walls, that is approximately half of max distance for cat5e.
Ideally 100 feet cat5 to WAP, wireless rest of distance if going for wifi stb.
Or just hardwire entire distance for non wireless receiver.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

said by my thoughts :

Phone wiring is not cat5e, would likely be quad or cat3, neither should be used.

This is done everyday in Uverse. Works fine 99.999% of the time for 2 pair ethernet.

thomprod

Waterford, MI

said by DataRiker:

This is done everyday in Uverse. Works fine 99.999% of the time for 2 pair ethernet.

Before U-Verse, I had a splitter on that phone line in order to use a voice phone and a laptop with DSL service and it worked well. Seems like a similar splitter would allow the voice phone and a wired STB to work in that bedroom. Make sense?

thomprod

Waterford, MI
reply to my thoughts

said by my thoughts :

To my knowledge, adding any set top box to an existing account is $7 / month...

I think I am allowed two wired receivers with the U-300 package, but I only needed one with my original installation. Will they give me the second one now for the new TV without charge?

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3

Before you decide... you could 1st try a temporary test, to change connection of existing (wired) receiver to be thru a transparent wireless bridge (also called client bridge).

If that works, can choose 2nd "wired" receiver for remote location, but wired to (your own) wireless bridge (if that saves monthly fee).

Various common wifi routers can be made into "wireless bridge" (NOT a wifi repeater, and NOT in a router mode, no DHCP, no separate subnet), so you can wire devices to their LAN ports. It looks to your main wifi, like just another wifi-client.

If you don't have extra wifi router capable and can't borrow one, you'd risk buying one and finding it doesn't work well enough for uverse TV. Also uverse TV seems particular enough, you most likely must take MAC of TV receiver and clone it onto the bridge (for truer transparency).

»www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68

Used DD-WRT firmware on a Linksys as wireless bridge, but never tried it with uverse TV. Someone needs to try it 1st and pave the way for others