antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[TV] Connecting to more TVs with TWC's TV cable service...

Hi!

Currently, my parents have TWC's (Internet+TV+phone) service and its cable modem and Motorola DCX3400 DVR. The DVR is currently connected to a HDTV in a room. We also have more older TVs (analog CRT and HDTV) in the other rooms with the shared splitted coax cable. They cannot not get all channels (e.g., HBO) like the DVR. Is it because the other TVs need their own cable boxes and require another tuner/DVR?

Thank you in advance.

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC
Yes, you need a converter box (Non-DVR or DVR) to get the additional signal coming down the line.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by JimMcCoy:

Yes, you need a converter box (Non-DVR or DVR) to get the additional signal coming down the line.

I assume you mean a tuner box (same thing?).

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

1 recommendation

said by antdude:

said by JimMcCoy:

You need to lease a cable box for each TV you want to get the full line up on -- things like HBO are not accessible without a cable box hooked up directly to the TV in question.

Converter = Cable TV Box provided by Time Warner.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Matt7:

said by antdude:

said by JimMcCoy:

You need to lease a cable box for each TV you want to get the full line up on -- things like HBO are not accessible without a cable box hooked up directly to the TV in question.

Converter = Cable TV Box provided by Time Warner.

Thanks.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
said by antdude:

They cannot not get all channels (e.g., HBO) like the DVR. Is it because the other TVs need their own cable boxes and require another tuner/DVR?

Thank you in advance.

I currently have time Warner Cable with two TVs. The one in the living room has the set top box(STB). The other one in the library only has cable to the back to the set and a Roku 3 box. I can get the same channels (except for "on Demand") on the library TV as on the STB.

Here's how I have it set up:

TWC has a "TWV TV" Roku channel that's free to TWC subscribers.

It provides the same channels, including those in HD that I get through the STB except for local and "on demand" channels. To get the local channels, I use the TV's QAM tuner, so you need to switch from the Roku's input to the TV cable input.

Another difference between the Roku channel and the STB is that I don't get the programming guide. All there is on the Roku is the name of the show (e.g. "Wild Alaska", "Masterpiece Theater", etc and the network logos. You can set up favorites on the Roku channel if you wish.

The picture quality is excellent as long as you have a 5 Mbps wireless or wired connection available from the internet to the Roku.

720p is rock solid. I haven't really looked for 1080i or 1080p since my Sony TV is 720p. Sound quality is excellent, but levels are different, so I have to adjust volume control when switching from the Roku HDMI input to the cable input.

Roku also has a Redbox channel that allows streaming of movies to the set. I haven't tried it yet, but when I find a movie I want to watch, I'll set up an account and try it. Like Xbox etc, they also have Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime and other pay channels. I suppose that could offset not getting TWC's "On Demand" movie channels.

For me, the Roku 3 was a no-brainer. at 99 bucks, it pays for itself in less than a year's rental of a STB and gives me access to all the channels plus other media and apps. I don't use th TWC on demand channels, so that's no loss to me. The Roku's Bluetooth remote has an earphone jack that silences the TV audio when you plug in the earphones. It also has an earphone volume control on the remote. I don't use it much, but it's a handy feature nonetheless, and doesn't seem to be a battery hog.

Edit - Samsung's "Smart TV" now has a TWC app, but it only has limited "on demand" streams of some of the channels and no live programming streams.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.