Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

[crt/lcd] Displayport connected monitor fails to wake from sleep

I have an HPZR2740, and occasionally the monitor fails to wake up, I have it connected to an Nvidia GTX670, and the only way I can get it to display, is by turning the front switch on and off, and occasionally it goes so far as to me having to hit the dipswitch in the back of the monitor.

I have tried different Display Port cables, so that rules out the cable, is this normal behavior for Display Port, or should I my other card to troubleshoot the port?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

asdfdfdfdf

@opera-mini.net

Re: [crt/lcd] Displayport connected monitor fails to wake from s

Are you running multiple monitors or just the one?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to El Quintron
Try a different set of Nvidia drivers.

I couldn't even install the the 326.19 drivers. They wouldn't even recognize my monitor and would black screen on install. I'd have to reboot into safe mode and uninstall.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to asdfdfdfdf
said by asdfdfdfdf :

Are you running multiple monitors or just the one?

A single 2560x1440p monitor, I have two GTX670s in SLI
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

I couldn't even install the the 326.19 drivers. They wouldn't even recognize my monitor and would black screen on install. I'd have to reboot into safe mode and uninstall.

Good point, I think it's been present in all my driver installations but I can't tell for sure.

EQ
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to El Quintron
I have a similar issue with my current HP LP2475w, also using DisplayPort. Sometimes the monitor comes up fine the first time, other times I have to turn it off and on again. I haven't had to flip the main power switch in the back though.

The one I'm using now is an RMA replacement for my first one. This one has a different firmware revision than my first one. I didn't notice the problem with the first one, but I did the RMA a couple of weeks after getting my current video card so I didn't have much time to really check it.

I'm currently using a GTX 680 with the 314.22 drivers.

Edit: I also have a ZR2240w on my workbench and have used DisplayPort on it once or twice. The last time was with a Radeon HD 7850. Zero issues with that.
--
KI6RIT

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by n_w95482:

Edit: I also have a ZR2240w on my workbench and have used DisplayPort on it once or twice. The last time was with a Radeon HD 7850. Zero issues with that.

Thanks for posting this edit, I have a machine with a 7970, I should test it then, because it may just be an Nvidia issue.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

Good point, I think it's been present in all my driver installations but I can't tell for sure.

EQ

I was reading around on some EVGA and Nvidia forums, and a lot of people out there with 1440p have been having issues with drivers not recognizing certain monitors with this resolution.

Like I said, I can't even install the 326.19 drivers. They just do not recognize this certain 1440p Asus monitor.

Could it have something to do with the monitor waking up from sleep? Possibly. Drivers were the first thing I thought of. Hopefully you get it worked out, because that would be very annoying after awhile.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Ghastlyone:

I was reading around on some EVGA and Nvidia forums, and a lot of people out there with 1440p have been having issues with drivers not recognizing certain monitors with this resolution.

(...)

Could it have something to do with the monitor waking up from sleep? Possibly.

Both of those issues are present in my setup and I have EVGA cards.

When I set up the monitor I had to setup up the resolution manually, and part about not coming back on usually happens when it's been asleep for an hour or more.

My wife has practically the same setup, except she uses a DVI-DL cable and this isn't occurring for her.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
I'm running Display Port on my 780, and so far (crosses fingers) I haven't had any issues with my Asus monitor on the 326.41 drivers.

I really hope Nvidia gets their shit together with their drivers soon.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to El Quintron
I ran a 7970 on my LP2475w for a few months, no problems with it either. That was before I RMA'ed the monitor though. I might try swapping the two monitors to see what happens.
--
KI6RIT

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to El Quintron
One thing I have noticed with the HP monitors (I have a ZR24w), is that they don't like certain Displayport cables due to the fact that they have Pin 26 (ground connector of some sort) connected. I know on mine, one way that I fixed it is to get a Displayport-certified cable, or have a computer connected to the DVI port.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by sk1939:

One thing I have noticed with the HP monitors (I have a ZR24w), is that they don't like certain Displayport cables due to the fact that they have Pin 26 (ground connector of some sort) connected. I know on mine, one way that I fixed it is to get a Displayport-certified cable, or have a computer connected to the DVI port.

Duly noted, I'd never heard of this before now.

EQ
--

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

2 edits
reply to sk1939
Thanks for bringing that up, that's definitely a possibility. That reminds me of some DP-related compatibility issues where I work (different division had the issue), although I think their problem was with a DP to DVI or VGA adapter. In their case, I assumed it was early teething issues as the HP PCs in question have an onboard DP port and are about 5 years old. HP monitors were being used as well. HP blamed it on non-certified/non-HP hardware, lol.

I can't remember if the DP cable I'm using with my LP2475w came with it or not, but my ZR2240w did come with one. I'll try swapping the cables.

Edit: It looks like the LP2475w did come with one, but what the heck, I'll swap them anyway .
--
KI6RIT

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA
reply to El Quintron
Its a dp issue i havehad the same thing with a u3011 and zr30w tried 3 dp cables switched back to dual dvi and no more problems
--
hmmmmmm....

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to El Quintron
Turn off the powersaving on the monitor

On some HP 2570p (and 2560p) laptops with dual monitors (one via VGA and one via DP, if the monitors goes into standby then it has to be powered off/on to get it up again)

its due to how DP works, when many DP monitors go into standby the computer thinks it's disconnected.

Turning off power save fixes it (just have a no signal message when the computer isn't sending one.)
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
Both of my HP monitors have two power saving settings that look interesting. One is just labeled "Power Saver" (under the Management menu), and HP doesn't seem to document what it does exactly. Both of them are set to on.

The other one is "Source Detection" under "Video Input Control" on the LP2475w, and "Source Control" on the ZR2240w. Both monitors are set to "Low Power" ("Always Active" being the other option).

I'll play with those to see if it fixes the issue on my monitor. I have a feeling if either of those fixes it, it'll be the source detection one.
--
KI6RIT

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to El Quintron
Just an update on my previous post - I changed the Source Detection setting to "Always Active" and it has completely fixed my issue. It also kicks in much faster now, under a second from pressing the power button to seeing my lock screen. It was 3-4 seconds before.

Hopefully this fixes the issue El Quintron See Profile is having .
--
KI6RIT

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by n_w95482:

Hopefully this fixes the issue El Quintron See Profile is having .

My monitor has no OSD, so from the sounds of it it may not be fixable
--

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
Oh derp, didn't realize that. Other than trying a different video card, it may be time to pester HP.
--
KI6RIT

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by n_w95482:

Oh derp, didn't realize that. Other than trying a different video card, it may be time to pester HP.

I have two other options, my wife has the same monitor, and I have a PC with a 7970 (the one attached to the monitor via DP is has a GTX670) so I can try her monitor and see if the issue gets reproduced, and I can try with the 7970.

I'm assuming the issue lies somewhere between Nvidia and the Monitor...
--

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
Yeah, it could be how it's handling powering down the DP connection. I'm not sure what my pre-RMA monitor was set to with the power setting, but the 7970 I had last year was happy with it. Good luck with narrowing it down .
--
KI6RIT