how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Got a call from AT&T

I've been getting hangup calls from "Columbia House", so yesterday I answered the phone, just to find out what they wanted. It turned out to be AT&T, although I forgot to ask why the caller ID showed Columbia House.

Anyway, it was a salesman from AT&T trying to sell me phone/internet/TV service. When I asked about speeds, he told me about their 45 Mbps service. I told him that I currently have 100 Mbps with Cablevision. He went into the standard sales pitch about how since Cablevision uses a shared line I wasn't really getting all that speed and how with AT&T's fiber to the home I'd get much better speeds. When I told him that my speedtests registered around 104 Mbps he was surprised. I told him that I'd always had good luck with Internet speeds and that I must live in a good location. He then said that if that was the case, if I signed up for U-Verse fiber, I'd probably get even higher speeds because some AT&T fiber customers had gotten speeds as high as 200 Mbps. He also claimed that AT&T no longer has any official limit on internet usage.

He was pushing for me to sign up for a free trial, but I told him that I'd rather stick to Cablevision. BTW, I'm in CT.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
The sales guy is lying and deceptive. Would be quite fun for then to try and install the equipment and then tell them to take it all out and leave after they can't deliver.

For fiber to show it's real bandwidth it must be fed by Ethernet on short runs or Moca (capable of slightly longer runs). Not even Verizon is competing with 100 megabit service at $45 yet. Wait and see what 2014 brings.. maybe there will be something better that they can actually deliver on.

It's a foregone conclusion if you cancel the OOL at $45 and try to get it back, you probably can't since they haven't decided to lower the price for new and/or returning customers. This is primarily why Verizon's not obligated to respond or compete, because it's (an alleged) temporary retention gimmick. This remains to be seen what happens next in 2014 as promotions expire.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to Rekrul
Texans

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
reply to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

The sales guy is lying and deceptive. Would be quite fun for then to try and install the equipment and then tell them to take it all out and leave after they can't deliver.

He made it sound like the highest speed tier was uncapped and you just get whatever speed you're capable of receiving. I should have asked him that, but I never think of these things at the proper time.

TheToro
Premium
join:2003-06-05
Oak Park, MI
reply to Rekrul
he lied to you, first of all, the 45Mb profile is only available in CA, this is only if you have FTTN-BP .

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Rekrul
Full disclosure of the number of line feet the DSL would run can give you a decent estimate of what speeds you could see from such a so-called uncapped service and the quality of that copper is almost as important. Assume any copper older than 10 years might have excessive noise on it.

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus
reply to tmc8080
I would love to get one of those sales people on my phone.. My ISP is using fiber Ethernet and they even claim "dedicated bandwidth". Not just a dedicated fiber back to the CO, but your bandwidth is also dedicated within their network.

Anyway, DSL is shared at the DSLAM.

jtorre69

join:2005-12-26
Hollywood, FL
reply to tmc8080
I don't know where you get your facts, but my home and the copper feeding my Uverse is over 30 years old. I get 30/5 profile on my service, and have yet to have any problems with my Uverse. I think your 10 year theory is nothing more than a random opinion. Let's stick to the facts.