spc
Search similar:

uniqs

brownstone
@shawcable.net

brownstone

Anon

[AB] ping spikes while gaming

So recently we've switched from telus back to shaw and this time we got the High Speed 20 (speed tests have shown to be 20Mbps down and 0.5Mbs up so I'm just assuming, might have to check with my folks). This was a downgrade in terms of up speed by at least half (i.e, had 1Mbs Up before) and ever since then I've been having terrible ping spikes (from 80-90 to 600+ and then back down again in a endless loop) whenever my entire family decides to use the internet all at once. At first I thought it was just because they were all buffering videos all at once. However these 600+ ping spikes are hard to recreate as to isolate what websites are to blame for sucking up all the bandwidth. I do know that the initial buffer of youtube videos will cause a sudden spike from 80-90 to 100-200 but that settles back down to 80-90 when it has began loading. As I am typing this right now my sister is using the internet and I'm getting no pingspikes what so ever (I'm playing Team Fortress 2 and tracking my ping in there if that is anything to be considered; CSGO was the same as well). Earlier on however, when no one was using the internet my ping was spiking to 150 in about 2-3 sec intervals non stop. Obviously I've checked if I was downloading anything but of course there was nothing, just random ping spikes.

Also my sister and I use the internet wired (but with the capability of connecting to wifi), where as our family laptop uses wifi only. Another strange thing that has happened since the ISP change was that I couldn't connect to the wifi on my computer any more. Before the change I could connect to the wifi network (I only had 1/5 bars, 2/5 at best) and be connected directly to the modem as well. Maybe it has something to do with the Shaw Go Wifi I'm not sure...

I can provide more detailed information if necessary but I think the walls of text above is enough for now. Thanks in advance for the help
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

i recommend upgrading to atleast the high speed 25, much better value for money ,and better upload speeds , i could be crazy but it kinda sounds like bufferbloat, i might just think that cause i have been learning about bufferbloat alot lately tho
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to brownstone

to brownstone
What router are you using? You may wish to spend some money and get a good router with QoS capabilities which will limit the spiking.

However, if you're stuck with the Shaw modem/router, there's not much you can do since those things can't be put in bridge mode unless you're on the BB50+ plans.

But a router with QoS will give your gaming packets higher priority and limit how fast you upload so avoid bufferbloat caused by the modem, which should help smooth out the spikes.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Shaw fixed that, the modems can be bridged, except on the old High-Speed (7.5) plan, and Extreme (25)

Extreme 25 gets changed to BB25 or High Speed 25, and can be bridged

Andrew C
@shawcable.net

Andrew C to brownstone

Anon

to brownstone
I have latency issues with most seattle base servers in CSgo competitive. I'm on the bb50, live by myself and I still have a 50ms-300ms every 5 seconds or so... I'm out in Jasper. The annoying thing is the routing. I go Jasper - Edmonton -Chicago - Denver - Seattle (around 12 hops I think). and something lags hard in that conection

brownstone
@shawcable.net

brownstone to brownstone

Anon

to brownstone
UPDATE: I called shaw tech support on Friday and it seems like there was a problem on their end. I'm now waiting on a call back that will determine whether they need to replace my router or not.
brownstone

brownstone to tlhIngan

Anon

to tlhIngan
said by tlhIngan:

What router are you using? You may wish to spend some money and get a good router with QoS capabilities which will limit the spiking.

However, if you're stuck with the Shaw modem/router, there's not much you can do since those things can't be put in bridge mode unless you're on the BB50+ plans.

But a router with QoS will give your gaming packets higher priority and limit how fast you upload so avoid bufferbloat caused by the modem, which should help smooth out the spikes.

I am using a Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway which is a rental from Shaw. A lot of my friends suggest that the problem might be due to this modem being faulty, which is quite plausible.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Also try using your own router, instead of the built in one...

Have to call Shaw to get the modem bridged, turning it into just a modem
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to brownstone

to brownstone
If you're having CSGO issues, try hopping on this thread:
»community.shaw.ca/messag ··· 23#41523