Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

They're stuck in Massachusetts

A pro consumer state like Massachusetts would never allow them to kill pots and DSL. They didn't even try to sell Western Mass to FairPoint because they knew it would not get regulatory approval in Mass.

Plus, Verizon makes millions off of state contracts in Mass (hint: state lottery terminal connections). While residential landlines are declining, they still have a lot of business on the business/government side. The traffic signals around here use leased lines to interconnect.

And I recommend keeping a home phone for emergency communications. I personally think cell providers should have to disclose the limitations of cell phones for emergency communications such as limited ability to transmit location info and reception/power failure issues like VoIP providers do.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
If the phone companies would allow you to just keep a wireline phone as a backup for cheap (ie $10 a month for 10 minutes of talktime), they would probably pick up some business there. However, I live in AT&T territory and I couldn't get a wireline for less than $60 a month so I dumped them for a $10 month Verizon fixed wireless line (only $10 per month to add a line to your wireless phone plan which then uses the same bucket of minutes).