how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sean67854

join:2009-09-07
Urbandale, IA

usage meter regulation

Since cable is a regulated utility, does the usage meter have to be checked and validated by each state, and the tests posted publicly?

Every other instance by which you are charged by some measure (gas pumps, grocery store scales, etc) is checked by the state.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
The information about your usage amounts is available for you to check at any time. If there is ever a possible discrepancy that can be looked in to.

hdtv00

join:2003-06-13
Silvis, IL
reply to sean67854
Oh nothing will ever go wrong with the meter , come on mediacom is awesome and never wrong. I mean hey mine says I've used 1.5M of 999 gigs so hey I'm safe right......right..

implode

join:2009-09-06
Columbia, MO
reply to MediacomChad
I have a reason to think my meter is no longer working properly...my 3 month data went from between 80-120 each month, to nothing this last week. I can no longer see any of my past 3 months data usage. A serious flaw in mediacoms system. Surprise, it mysteriously tops working to provide data right when they institute a cap.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

The information about your usage amounts is available for you to check at any time. If there is ever a possible discrepancy that can be looked in to.

that's really reassuring, but why do gas stations, and anything else (except cable usage meters) that is sold by measure need to be checked and certified by a state for accuracy? can't they just "look into it" by themselves? I'm sure they are trustworthy..

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Implode,

Due to the changes made where all customers will now be under a data allowance the 3 month will not be available just yet.

sean67854

Urbandale, IA
reply to sean67854
Chad, is there an audit remediation to provide proof of usage in the event that a customer is charged for overage? If no one is "watching the watchers", how are we to know anything is accurate?

Additionally, how is traffic requested by a media come customer differentiated from random internet traffic hitting our IPs?

iknow_t

1 edit
said by sean67854:

Chad, is there an audit remediation to provide proof of usage in the event that a customer is charged for overage? If no one is "watching the watchers", how are we to know anything is accurate?

Additionally, how is traffic requested by a media come customer differentiated from random internet traffic hitting our IPs?

I would think if you don't have the absolute trust that your state weights and measures has in the ISP, then the only legal recourse would be a civil complaint. this is the problem with metered usage, no certification by a third party with legal standing. like a state weights and measures authority.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
reply to sean67854
State weights and measures is needed with gas pumps because state and Federal taxes are being collected on a per-gallon pump sale. That is not an issue with an ISP, as they are not collecting such usage tax for another entity.

iknow_t

1 recommendation

said by k9iua6:

State weights and measures is needed with gas pumps because state and Federal taxes are being collected on a per-gallon pump sale. That is not an issue with an ISP, as they are not collecting such usage tax for another entity.

if they start charging for metered overages, then the state sales tax would increase, as the customer would have to pay for those overages based on the meter. so the usage would be based on a per byte sale.

sean67854

Urbandale, IA
reply to sean67854
Well I now have proof that the usage meter is crap. We just returned home from vacation, this evening August 17th. I started up my home computer and opened the usage meter and it says I've already used 693.4MB of data. Someone please tell me how that can be possible WHEN NO ONE IS HOME AND THE PCs ARE OFF?

I think we all need to contact are respective state Representatives and have them take a look at this or before long every one of us will be paying overages.

iknow_t

said by sean67854:

Well I now have proof that the usage meter is crap. We just returned home from vacation, this evening August 17th. I started up my home computer and opened the usage meter and it says I've already used 693.4MB of data. Someone please tell me how that can be possible WHEN NO ONE IS HOME AND THE PCs ARE OFF?

I think we all need to contact are respective state Representatives and have them take a look at this or before long every one of us will be paying overages.

I hear it goes like this.

User: Why was I charged $100 in overages for my DSL service?
CSR: You went over your cap by 500 GB... at $10 per 50 GB, that's $100 in overages.
User: Wait... what? I didn't use that much internet and there's no way to check my usage.
CSR: I'm sorry sir but our system says you went over. Do you have any proof you didn't go over the cap?
User: No because you're not providing me with a means of monitoring my usage.
CSR: I'm sorry sir but that's not our responsibility.
User: So it's basically my word against yours and I know AT&T is *never* wrong (sarcasm).
CSR: Unless you can prove you didn't go 500 GB over your cap, there's nothing I can do.
User: Well F*&! this... I want to cancel my account!

seriously, it was probably an honest error, but they are selling metered internet, and the state collects taxes based on your bill, so if that usage meter is off, the state is not getting the taxes owed them. they may get too much, or too little, based on the usage meter, with which overages are charged to you.. the same reason they regulate gasoline meters and others..

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
INTERNET ACCESS IS NOT TAXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cable tv and Phone are. same for any dsl provider if you have a dry loop its not taxed add phone line and that line is taxed. sheesh

sean67854

Urbandale, IA
Settle down man. I just had a chance to check my bill and you are correct, internet only services are not taxed.

Does anyone know if you have TV and internet service if it is listed out separately on your bill and then just the taxes and fees shown at the bottom? Or if there are two separate sections and it is clear that the tax only applies to the TV portion?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to sean67854
If you feel there is ever a discrepancy, let me know and I will compare the usage I am able see here to the meter you have access to.

A Nonymous

@mchsi.com
reply to sean67854
said by sean67854:

Does anyone know if you have TV and internet service if it is listed out separately on your bill and then just the taxes and fees shown at the bottom? Or if there are two separate sections and it is clear that the tax only applies to the TV portion?

I have Mediacom TV & internet, but not phone. Taxes are listed separately in their own section at the bottom of the bill labelled "Taxes, Fees & Surcharges." Since the line-items in that section ("Franchise Fee" and "FCC Regulatory Fee") are the same things that were there back when I used to have TV-only service, I always assumed they were related to the TV service and not internet, but that may not be clear to everyone.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to sean67854
said by sean67854:

That's a really good question, and I would love to see an answer to that.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to sean67854
This is probably posted somewhere, but I'm not seeing it.. What are the caps for the various plans?? I know I have a 999GB cap, but curious about other plans.

A Nonymous

@mchsi.com
said by UHF:

This is probably posted somewhere, but I'm not seeing it.. What are the caps for the various plans?? I know I have a 999GB cap, but curious about other plans.

150GB: Launch (3/0.5)
250GB: Prime (15/1)
350GB: Prime Plus (30/2)
999GB: Ultra (50/5)
999GB: Ultra Plus (105/10)
Source: »mediacomcable.com/site/internet.html

I'm currently on a grandfathered Prime account and am doing lots of HD streaming from Netflix before grandfathering ends and the caps go into effect. 15Mbps is a perfectly adequate speed for my needs, but I suspect I'll be upgrading in a few months just for the higher cap--which is clearly Mediacom's intent in imposing caps.