how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Elginite

join:2013-08-16
Elgin, IL

Recorded shows "freeze" during playback

I have Ultra TV. When I play back a recorded show, it occasionally "freezes" and then goes to a black screen with "Cannot communicate with the media gateway. Please check the cable connection." It will sit like this forever if I leave it there. The only way out of it is to press the "replay" button a few times, wait for it to recover and skip back earlier in the show and then press the "skip" button to go past the point that it freezes (it will get stuck at the exact same point every time). This happened once every 10 recordings or so in the beginning (10 months ago) and has been gradually getting worse. It is now happening on almost every recording, sometimes multiple times in the same 1/2 hour recording. I do not experience any issues watching live TV. I have had technicians to the house and they say that all of the signals are fine. Does any one have any idea what could possibly be wrong?? I'm dying here!

ClockerXP

join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:1

Do you happen to have an external hard drive attached to your gateway or is it just the gateway with nothing added on to it for more storage?

Bismark

join:2010-02-21
Columbus, OH
reply to Elginite

This has been more of a problem since the last software release. It appears the error message could be improved as the usual fix is to reboot the box attached to the tv. It happens to my wife and I now.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:32
reply to Elginite

said by Elginite:

I have Ultra TV. When I play back a recorded show, it occasionally "freezes" and then goes to a black screen with "Cannot communicate with the media gateway. Please check the cable connection." It will sit like this forever if I leave it there. The only way out of it is to press the "replay" button a few times, wait for it to recover and skip back earlier in the show and then press the "skip" button to go past the point that it freezes (it will get stuck at the exact same point every time). This happened once every 10 recordings or so in the beginning (10 months ago) and has been gradually getting worse. It is now happening on almost every recording, sometimes multiple times in the same 1/2 hour recording. I do not experience any issues watching live TV. I have had technicians to the house and they say that all of the signals are fine. Does any one have any idea what could possibly be wrong?? I'm dying here!

Does this happen on all media players or only one (if you have more than one)?

That error means the MoCA connection between the gateway and the media player was lost. This is typically a signal problem with the wiring due to a bad cable/splitter, but it can also be caused by a faulty gateway/media player. If this only happens on a single media player, try swapping it with another one in your house. If the problems follows the media player, then the player is likely faulty. If the problem stays in the same location with the other media player, it's likely the wiring or gateway that's the problem.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

Elginite

Elgin, IL
reply to Elginite

I have two TV's and it happens on both of them. Resetting the gateway doesn't seem to have any effect. I just don't get why I wouldn't have problems with live TV also. I guess I shouldn't complain! However, 99% of everything we watch is recorded. So, I'm guessing cable/connector/splitter issues then. Our coax runs outside of our house because we do not have ceiling access in our attic. I've asked each and every technician that has come to our house in 5 years to replace the lines but apparently that is more work than any of them are willing to do. I always get the response "that probably isn't the problem."

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:32

said by Elginite:

I have two TV's and it happens on both of them. Resetting the gateway doesn't seem to have any effect. I just don't get why I wouldn't have problems with live TV also. I guess I shouldn't complain! However, 99% of everything we watch is recorded. So, I'm guessing cable/connector/splitter issues then. Our coax runs outside of our house because we do not have ceiling access in our attic. I've asked each and every technician that has come to our house in 5 years to replace the lines but apparently that is more work than any of them are willing to do. I always get the response "that probably isn't the problem."

Unfortunately this does then appear to be something that will require a technician visit to fully diagnose. I've not heard of this issue before where it only affects recordings, but that sounds to me like a gateway hardware issue. Maybe something is wrong with the hard disc or another component that's used for playback of recorded shows.

If it's not too much of a hassle, you could look into getting the gateway swapped as well as getting some of the wiring replaced. If you specifically ask to have the lines replaced when you talk to customer service, they can add that to the job notes so the technician can plan to do it before he even gets there and have the time available for the task.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

Elginite

Elgin, IL
reply to Elginite

Thanks, Dan!

Bismark

join:2010-02-21
Columbus, OH
reply to WOW_Dan

Dan,

I get this on all three of our media players and it certainly looks like a software problem. It seems to happen after a sequence of events using the remote to navigate to programs or look for something to watch. Other times it happens to my wife who really only uses channel up/down to navigate. I have spoken with several CSR's and they tell me many people report the problem. When UltraTV was installed, WOW pulled all new wiring and the wire and signal levels have been checked at least twice. Sometimes it goes away if I try other channels and other times a reboot of the media player fixes it. Many times it just happens on single channels and others work, but when I go back to the channel, the message comes back.

As another observation, I've asked the CSR's if they have a way to directly report problems their customers are having with UltraTV and they say they do not. They have to tell their supervisors who do something with the information. Is this really true? Does WOW do any processing on the call history collected by the CSR's to understand issues the customers are having?