Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
reply to Sandford
Only a tiny, tiny portion of the US has this.

It's not gonna be in Canada.

------

Man calls a company: "I'd like to speak to Mr. Sexauer."

Receptionist: "Pardon, who?"

Man: "Don't you have a Sexauer there?!"

Receptionist: "Sir, we don't even have a coffee break!"

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Sandford
Beyond wishful thinking.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Sandford
It wouldn't be Google. Maybe someone else as there's a few doing fibre for MDUs.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

1 recommendation

reply to Sandford
For a company whose business is collecting data no thanks especially when they allowed the NSA to intercept data from them.

SquareRoom

@teksavvy.com
This.
Expand your moderator at work

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
reply to analog andy

Re: Google fibre in Canada?

said by analog andy:

For a company whose business is collecting data no thanks especially when they allowed the NSA to intercept data from them.

Well, it cuts out the middleman.

So many people already use Google Search, Google News, Gmail, Gmail phone or GoogleVoice phone, Google maps, Google's YouTube, and so much more....

May as well let Google be the fiber guys too.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to mlerner
Then the answer is no.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to analog andy
Better cut all communication lines into your home then if you're that worried about your privacy.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
said by TypeS:

Better cut all communication lines into your home then if you're that worried about your privacy.

If I found out Shaw/Telus/my isp etc.. gave the Canadian gov fee access to all communication going through it I'd drop the like a sack of door knobs. I have nothing to hide therefor the gov has no reason to snoop on me or my communication.

If you think you have nothing to worry about »www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a···heathrow you're just repeating history. But they good luck with that citizen, oh and papers please comrade we need to check your credentials before you make a reply.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
I don't believe I have nothing to worry about but I also know you have to be wearing a tin hat to expect real privacy on the internet. It's a network, something many people forget. And it doesn't have to be just your ISP collecting your data, once your data leaves the ISPs network, there are hundreds of locations (depending where your data is going) that it can be intercepted.

Google Fibre won't collect any more or any less than any other ISP already does. So yeah, if you're THAT concerned about your privacy as you implied in the earlier post, cut your telephone and coax lines and live without internet.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to analog andy
said by analog andy:

said by TypeS:

If I found out Shaw/Telus/my isp etc.. gave the Canadian gov fee access to all communication going through it I'd drop the like a sack of door knobs. I have nothing to hide therefor the gov has no reason to snoop on me or my communication.

If you think you have nothing to worry about »www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a···heathrow you're just repeating history. But they good luck with that citizen, oh and papers please comrade we need to check your credentials before you make a reply.

You can be sure that all governments do this and all ISP's provide it. As TypeS said, it's a network. Want privacy? Don't go online and don't use your telephone......

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Google Fibre won't collect any more or any less than any other ISP already does. So yeah, if you're THAT concerned about your privacy as you implied in the earlier post, cut your telephone and coax lines and live without internet.

Agreed. And don't shop, because of the CCTV's, don't use your credit/debit card, don't have a publicly published phone number and stick your head in the sand.

Google has well over 2 billion "customers". If you think they're interested in YOU personally...

Machines read the data, not humans. As well, Google is not the only one. Practically every site you visit has *some* trace of you.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
reply to TypeS
In that case you wouldn't mind if I came to your house opened up your mail box and inspected your mail now would you?

DanteX

reply to rednekcowboy
So why the need to constantly snoop on people if there is no wrong doing happening? why cant we all live in pace and each have privacy? What is this bogyman Governments are constantly fearing? I always hear we need snooping on the internet to weed out child abuse and terrorists. Oh Knows terrorist from the middle east want our freedoms right?

There is no justification for wide spread surveillance in a world that is supposed to be free.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
said by DanteX:

There is no justification for wide spread surveillance in a world that is supposed to be free.

Its simple. The governments of the world are schizophrenic paranoids who want to control everything on a granular level plus it creates more jobs for the economic stability which in turns channels even more cash into overflowing coffers of treasury departments so they can buy even more control.

In the end its all about the all important corporate stranglehold on greed.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to DanteX
said by DanteX:

So why the need to constantly snoop on people if there is no wrong doing happening? why cant we all live in pace and each have privacy? What is this bogyman Governments are constantly fearing? I always hear we need snooping on the internet to weed out child abuse and terrorists. Oh Knows terrorist from the middle east want our freedoms right?

I do admit, your idea of a utopian society sounds pretty freaking sweet, unfortunately that is not the reality we live in....

In all honesty, it's not like they are going through everyone's private correspondence, word for word. Usually it's key word searches that are completely handled by computers.

I'm not completely 100% on what sets off red flags but it's not what you and others are making it out to be either....

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DanteX
said by DanteX:

In that case you wouldn't mind if I came to your house opened up your mail box and inspected your mail now would you?

If you want to go ahead and break the law by busting my locked slot open in the community mail box, feel fee. As for the on my porch, feel free to take all the advertising mails, those always go right to the recycling.

Your point was...? User a better comparison. If you intercepted a letter to me or from me en route, yeah I'd be upset about it. But that is also an inherent risk with traditional mail. If something needs to be communicated that is of the utmost privacy, do it in person. Any person with an ounce of common sense should know any means of communications that has to through a medium you don't control from end to end isn't secure.

While you're right that what governments around the world are doing in the name of "public safety" is wrong, its the reality we live in. You're welcome to try and change instead of trying to preach to people here.

r5a

join:2006-02-05
Toronto, ON
reply to Sandford
Would be nice but I highly doubt it. I've heard the reasons they're picking the areas where they are is because of the build costs. Kansas is completely flat basically = super easy to run/build out fiber = lots $$ saved.

One can dream though.

doonsy

join:2002-03-15
reply to Sandford
There are a couple job positions open at Google in Kitchener/Waterloo, related to google fiber....

»www.google.com/about/jobs/search···d=45083&
»www.google.com/about/jobs/search···=552001&

--
Just Giver

martyb

join:2013-05-18
Wemindji, QC
said by doonsy:

There are a couple job positions open at Google in Kitchener/Waterloo, related to google fiber....

»www.google.com/about/jobs/search···d=45083&
»www.google.com/about/jobs/search···=552001&

said by Googlejobs :

Responsibilities

Develop an iPad tablet and an iOS application that acts as a client for a video delivery service.
Create robust implementations.
Demonstrate hands-on code contribution and shipping responsibility- libraries, APIs, documentation.
Coordinate with other product teams for integration into their products.

and

said by Googlejobs :

Responsibilities

Develop test strategies.
Automate tests using test frameworks
Write moderately complex code/scripts to test systems.
Take responsibility for monitoring product development and usage at all levels with an eye toward improving product quality.
Test native applications on Android or iOS: mobile devices and tablets.

doesn't sound like its related to fiber.

»globalnews.ca/news/476811/google···-canada/

Looks more like they are hiring canucks to deploy "over there..."

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Sandford
said by Sandford:

Anyone know if we will ever get this?

I'll let you know as soon as I get my crystal ball back from the shop. Who knew you shouldn't use ammonia-based cleaner on crystal?

Etobicoke, ON
reply to martyb
said by martyb:

doesn't sound like its related to fiber.

»globalnews.ca/news/476811/google···-canada/

Looks more like they are hiring canucks to deploy "over there..."

You know they can have software engineers elsewhere in the world that provide development and support for services provided in a different geographical region.. there is a lot more to the whole picture of Google Fiber other than just the physical installation of the fiber itself. There are thousands of employees within Google working on various aspects of Google Fiber.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to martyb
Pretty much, they just do the software side. Google has offices all over.

FTTHTechie

@pathcom.com

1 recommendation

reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by DanteX:

Its simple. The governments of the world are schizophrenic paranoids who want to control everything on a granular level plus it creates more jobs for the economic stability which in turns channels even more cash into overflowing coffers of treasury departments so they can buy even more control.

In the end its all about the all important corporate stranglehold on greed.

Hegalian Dialectic (Problem - Reaction - Solution). Paid for by the tax payer.

DanteX

reply to Sandford