spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI

*MEXICO* has better internet than we do (Symmetrical FTTH)!

I'm in the US and in Canada often and its sad that except for a few areas of the US and Canada where there's FTTH, Mexico has better internet south of the border than we do!

It is expensive ($999 Pesos or 77USD) but includes 200Mbps symmetrical bandwidth and UNLIMITED calls to North America (USA & Canada).

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o3hrLGxDUI

My spanish is rusty but he does a speed test in both Mexico City on the same network (3ms) and to the USA (Dallas, Mexico international peering/IP transit point with 44ms).

While this is expensive for the average person in Mexico to get this bandwidth is SYMMETRICAL with FULL 200Mbps UP AND DOWN to both Mexico City and Dallas.

I see some high bandwidth bittorrent peers coming online from Mexico soon (free of DMCA for now). :P

»axtel.mx/residencial/internet/axtel-x-tremo

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
There are parts of Fort Erie where I can get symmetrical 175/175 FTTH from Bell. And?

willzzz

SE MI
reply to willzzz
There are NO bandwidth caps. Bell is limited to 300GB.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by willzzz:

Bell is limited to 300GB.

... not for $10/$30 more it isn't.

willzzz

SE MI
reply to willzzz
Totally forgot about the new limited-time Canadian unlimited offers. Canada has better latency anyways (much closer to major US cities).

willzzz

SE MI
reply to willzzz
Anyways it doesn't matter. I have no chance to get FTTH where I am (Metro Detroit) anyways. Unless I move... It's simply an AT&T and Brighthouse (cable monopoly) with unlimited 60Mbps. I'm paying for 30Mbps down/2Mbps up and getting 25Mbps and 1.5Mbps up on speedtest.net. The problem with cable is the upload speed. I wish I had better upload speed so I can upload to servers faster (cloud).

So in reality certain areas of Canada and certain areas of the US have better broadband speeds than where I am.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to willzzz
said by willzzz:

Totally forgot about the new limited-time Canadian unlimited offers. Canada has better latency anyways (much closer to major US cities).

Bell hasn't said anything about theirs being time limited. My cable upload speed is due to be upgraded to 10Mbit/s in the next few weeks, too.

Either way, there's plenty of good Internet in Canada, particularly in Atlantic Canada and in the Parries. It's only the Centre of the Universe that is stuck with the shit.

willzzz

SE MI
reply to willzzz
And the centre of the universe has the most bandwidth and the cheapest IP transit.

Sometimes economics and logic get in the way of bandwidth pricing for broadband and instead its profit maximization!

DigitalRain

join:2013-03-16
The real problem is that we treat Internet infrastructure as a consumer good rather than as essential infrastructure.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
said by DigitalRain:

The real problem is that we treat Internet infrastructure as a consumer good rather than as essential infrastructure.

you mean like hydro or water where's no competition? it's rather good these days with IISPs on Bell and TPIAs on cable.

Most of Mexico has really slow broadband, just because a few areas are getting FTTH which Canada already has had for a year from Bell and Rogers doesn't mean much.

Canada's "average" connection speed for 2013 according to Akamai is about 7.5Mbit/sec, meanwhile Mexico's is half that at 3.5Mbit/sec.

somrandomguy

@distributel.net

1 recommendation

reply to DigitalRain
said by DigitalRain:

Ok I'll bite. So let's assume Internet service is an essential service that every man, woman and child must have access to.

What essential services are required that wouldn't work on really ancient 1.5mbit down, 512k up dsl account or cell service that symmetrical ftth solves?

Your definition of essential might be different than mine but I think you are conflating NEEDs with WANTs.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by somrandomguy :

Your definition of essential might be different than mine but I think you are conflating NEEDs with WANTs.

Yup, a very common problem.

I cannot think of any genuinely essential consumer/governmental/financial online services that requires more than the slowest speeds currently available now that speeds below 5Mbps are nearly history. Nobody needs FTTH to file online taxes, do online banking, check weather forecasts, emails, job advertisements, shopping, etc.

vzm

join:2013-04-15
Ottawa, ON
video conferencing for distance education/health care is probably the most bandwidth intensive legitimate internet use, 5Mbps is ok for that, but symmetrical would be better, so people can see you as well as you can see them.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to willzzz
If Places Like the slums of Mazatlan end up getting better Internet then we do and for cheaper then we have some serious issues that need to be dealt wit.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
said by DanteX:

If Places Like the slums of Mazatlan end up getting better Internet then we do and for cheaper then we have some serious issues that need to be dealt wit.

Unions.
Expand your moderator at work

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to willzzz

Re: *MEXICO* has better internet than we do (Symmetrical FTTH)!

I want 200 megas too!

not anytime soon with my underground wires on this street...
--

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to willzzz
What is the difference? Its deployed much like Bell here. FTTH is not available everywhere, in fact, rather limited. My parents live down there, and I visit various states of Mexico often. Forget that many companies show its available, until they come to your door, and its not.

The population of the greater Mexico City is over 20 million people. All of Ontario doesn't even come close to those numbers. Forget that any utility upgrades are a PITA, and take forever down there. In Guadalajara, 5/1 is all my folks can get right now over pots. Cable has faster speeds, but, still not even in the hood of 200/200.