spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JonDoe

@cgocable.net

[INTERNET] Cogeco refuses to disconnect service of previous tena

I've been stuck in internet support hell the past few days. Here's the condensed story:

I'm moving into a new apartment at the end of August. I decided that I want to go with Teksavvy, but they've recently told me they cannot process my order because there is an EXISTING SERVICE already present at the apartment suite by the previous tenant who was with COGECO. Teksavvy informed me that Cogeco needs to disconnect the service for Teksavvy to install my internet services. I contact COGECO, politely explain this strange situation and they speak to some higher ups to come back and tell me they 'cannot do anything' as they continue to bill the previous tenant who has not lived in the apartment since July when I checked the place being renovated.

I feel like there's something wrong with what Cogeco is doing. I understand that they may be pleased at having the previous tenant on the billing cycle as they did not cancel their services, but the fact of the matter is that the previous tenant ISN'T living there anymore and is preventing me from installing with a third internet service provider. Cogeco was more than happy to install their services though, but I am just so fed up with them it just doesn't sit well with me.

What do I do? Please advise.

Note: I've been calling back and forth between Teksavvy and Cogeco and have just put down a summary of my findings.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Re: [INTERNET] Cogeco refuses to disconnect service of previous

This makes no sense. Cogeco has no issue with having a TPIA account and a retail account at the same address. I know that they will "red flag" addresses where a previous tenant hasn't paid, but that is - at worst - rectified by providing a copy of your rental agreement stating that you live there.

JonDoe

@cgocable.net

So do you think TekSavvy has something misunderstood?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Or Cogeco does. This is something that should be easily resolved, particularly if they're willing to sell you retail service.

JonDoe

@cgocable.net
I've called TekSavvy three different times to make sure I wasn't getting mixed messages. They cannot seem to put in my internet service unless the active service is disconnected. And Cogeco has been less than helpful that they 'can't do anything' and I agree, I feel like this should be easily resolved but just isn't happening @_@.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I've had Cogeco retail Internet and TPIA service simultaneously at the same address. Both accounts were under different names at the same address, too. What they're telling you, based on my own experience, doesn't make sense.

Wait for one of the Teksavvy guys to chime in, I'm sure there's got to be an explanation for all this.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to JonDoe
If somebody else is paying for Cogeco service, why not just use it for a while until they figure out what's going on?

JonDoe

@cgocable.net
@Steve: Knowingly using a service that doesn't belong to me sounds like a bad idea to me. I don't want trouble down the road, I just want to have my internet installed and get on with things.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
said by JonDoe :

@Steve: Knowingly using a service that doesn't belong to me sounds like a bad idea to me. I don't want trouble down the road, I just want to have my internet installed and get on with things.

Agreed, and how would you? Cogeco's services are locked to the modem's MAC, which I assume you don't have the old owner's modem right...?

Bleh1265

@bell.ca
Landlord can't step in? Maybe contact old tenant or something

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
The only thing the landlord can do is contact Cogeco and tell them that the tenant is no longer there and that the unit has been rented to someone else.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
reply to JonDoe

The cogeco account will likely be cancelled eventually due to non-payment.

You can also call cogeco and tell them you want their services and explain you have proof that you've moved in. Most MSOs will be motivated to just cancel the old customer and sign you up. If they do that, just have them schedule someone to install it a week later, then call back the next day and tell them you changed your mind and for them to cancel everything. Then call Teksavvy and see if they can process the order.

JonDoe

@cgocable.net
reply to Gone

I've asked my landlord to contact Cogeco and let them know, but she unfortunately isn't the most adept at navigating through the support and was having trouble even speaking to the rap. I've been only able to communicate with her sporadically.

I tried calling Cogeco again today and explained how ridiculous it is that I can't get the previous tenant's service cancelled. The lady rep this time told me something different this time, saying that the services that belonged to the previous tenant are not active (before, some other rep said they 'couldn't access the previous tenant's account' or something to that extent). I am HOPING that she told me the truth, and have relayed the information to TekSavvy to try processing the order again.
Expand your moderator at work

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to JonDoe

Try someone other than Teksavvy.

Mike