spc
uniqs
planiwa
join:2009-02-19
Toronto M5S

planiwa to btech805

to btech805

Re: [Internet] Bell Internet keeps disconnecting

I'm interested in this sort of problem because of what we can learn from it about problem solving. When I get a chance I will post a summary of what is known about this condition.

I understand that Bell is aware of the problem and is waiting for Ikanos (aka "Stinger"?) to correct it. (deja-vu again? )

(While I acknowledge that most people touched by this are users who just want the problem to go away, I am someone else who wants to study, diagnose, and understand the problem, because my bias prefers solutions that are based on understanding.

So, for now I have a way of detecting the problem and "fixing" it within 15 minutes (if it persists that long). That way the "damage" is limited, while we can continue to study the condition.)
lowping
join:2013-08-04

3 edits

lowping

said by planiwa:

I'm interested in this sort of problem because of what we can learn from it about problem solving. When I get a chance I will post a summary of what is known about this condition.

I understand that Bell is aware of the problem and is waiting for Ikanos (aka "Stinger"?) to correct it. (deja-vu again? )

(While I acknowledge that most people touched by this are users who just want the problem to go away, I am someone else who wants to study, diagnose, and understand the problem, because my bias prefers solutions that are based on understanding.

So, for now I have a way of detecting the problem and "fixing" it within 15 minutes (if it persists that long). That way the "damage" is limited, while we can continue to study the condition.)

It's a MTU issue.

»[DSL] Sagemcom sync-no-surf fix/workaround

At one point, the sagemcom and the stinger aren't able to fragment pass a certain packet size. If you change the MTU settings in the sagemcom to the limit (do a few ping test to see what it is), everything should be working.

People with IPTV don't suffer from this because they're on a different profile and this doesn't happen for some reason.
planiwa
join:2009-02-19
Toronto M5S

planiwa

Thanks for that link. This is consistent with my findings, but it seems more complex than that. For example, I found that Bell's name-servers, as well as google.ca, google.com, www.google.com all respond erratically to ping, wget, and curl. Even teksavvy, cisco, and akamai have their own erraticisms.

I monitored packet length limits for about a week and found periods of max ping length of 84, for typically 3 minutes, many times a day, but without any other apparent failure.

This is definitely a work in progress.