MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

1 recommendation

Sweet Witch

MVM

[CritEditY] First try at this ;)

Hey guys,

Went out looking for some flowers today but only managed to find this on by the road. How'd I do?

Panasonic DMC-GH2
14mm 1/2500th F3.5 ISO640

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 edit

SueS

Premium Member

We all start someplace. Flowers are shot by lots of folks many different ways. You need to decide what kind of look you want. As an example I personally like flowers shot with some stem also in the photo, so the flowers are not floating (unless it is a water lily). There are many acceptable ways.

I might suggest shooting in softer light, harsh light is not fixable in post work. I would probably crop your image. Too much negative space makes the photo off balance unless it is composed in a different way. This is my opinion.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Yeah, I figured about the light. The cloud passed as I was setting up and my nice light was gone.

I was going to crop but decided to post as is. How's this?

Panasonic DMC-GH2

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch

Panasonic DMC-GH2

You are on the right track. Neither blossom will be in the center, so adding extra negative space on either side is not necessary, it can be the same on both sides. Flowers do not need extra breathing room like animals, birds, bees etc.

This is an example of what I was thinking.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

29886823 (banned) to Sweet Witch

to Sweet Witch
Aside from composition the most important thing (at least for me) is that you get texture in your petals. There is nothing worse that an expanse of a single color to ruin a flower image. Usually in difficult and not so difficult lighting you might take several exposures, and you might find that blending of one sort or another will save the day.
Why not look around the Gallery for some good examples to follow.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

And two more from this afternoon:

Panasonic DMC-GH2
14mm 1/640th F3.5 ISO640

Panasonic DMC-GH2
14mm 1/320th F3.5 ISO200

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 edit

1 recommendation

SueS to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch

Panasonic DMC-GH2
14mm 1/320th F3.5 ISO200

These are in much better light!

I can't help with the composition on the Blackeyed Susan. I played with the second one.

I have a question, why are you limiting your shots to 14mm? Some of the best flower shots are with 85mm and longer. Doesn't mean you can't use shorter, but it might be helpful to explore other options.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

1 recommendation

Sweet Witch

MVM

I'm teaching myself macro photography and have just moved from jewelry to flowers so I'm still learning. I have several lenses but only had the 14-45 with me today.
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

1 recommendation

29886823 (banned) to Sweet Witch

to Sweet Witch

Panasonic DMC-GH2
14mm 1/320th F3.5 ISO200

This is a bit different. I thought that the image as edited and composed by SueS was unbalanced, so I flipped it and added a copy.