Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LBL

join:2013-08-17
Panama City, FL

Comcast VS WOW speeds - just switched

With Comcast I was download 31.96mbps Upload 6.34mbps and ping 41ms
With Wow I am download 2.97mbps Upload 1.28mbps and ping 40ms.
(those are both to Jacksonville so the results are the same)

I accidentally posted this in the Knology forum before I found out there was a WOW forum. At Comcast I subscribed to the 25mbps or regular download speed. I have no idea what my Husband signed me up for here on WOW, but it's like going back to dial up!!!! I'm an unhappy camper right now to say the least. I already know I'm going to have to get them back out here (we've only had them 2 days) as the TV reception on the regular TV is very grainy on most of the channels. I noticed it on the main TV somewhat when the installer was here but he just said it was my imagination. I wish I'd checked the other TV's at the time.

LBL

Panama City, FL

Well. Unfortunately he signed me up for the lowest tier. Wow called and said it would $30.00 a month to upgrade to 25mbps a month (like I had). Which would mean I would have to pay $58 a month for Internet WOW.

cwcjr

join:2002-08-02
Huntsville, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

Be aware that with WOW you would be paying for a higher Throttling speed-limit WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC! During peak usage times, paying for the upgraded EDGE service DOES YOU NO GOOD. Data rates may drop as low as 0.500 Mbit during peak evening hours.

LBL

Panama City, FL

I can't believe there is no where on the Internet you can look at their packages to compare. You have to call and let them "sell" you on one. On the Knology page, it didn't even let me see what we had signed up for

They offered one for $10 extra a month (forgot how many extra mbps that one was) and then the 25mbps and the 50mbps package. I told him I didn't think the 50 was even available in my area, even though he was selling it. He kind of hedged on that and said "uh, I don't know." DH apologized though.

cwcjr

join:2002-08-02
Huntsville, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

Edge is generally $10 per month for 25 Mbit Down. Again, this is paying for an increased speed-limit (throttling) when there is no traffic. The money may just be wasted if you are looking for improved performance during peak traffic hours. You also have to have a DOCSIS 3 cable modem. That may require you to upgrade the one you are renting (if you are) or you can buy your own. Be careful, they historically ASSuME that you will be renting one even if you own your own, so check your bill closely.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
reply to LBL

WTF is everyone talking about here???

WTH is "upgraded EDGE service" with respect to WOW?

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology

Panama City is in a Knology area that WOW just took over. Edge is/was the Knology 25Mbps tier which was $15 a month more here. WOW is a hot mess here right now. They seem to offer speeds (50Mbps) that they don't have here yet. Comcast does. Speeds are varying wildly at times and one of the first things WOW did here is drop usenet but sent me a bill telling all my services were the same as I had with Knology - NOT!

We are still using the Knology portal to pay bills & check service. It has just been rebranded with the WOW logos and my bill still states the "edge" speed tier.

I hope that answers your WTF & WTH concerns... or you could have asked politely without the web cursing.
--
Certified Jenius!

LBL

Panama City, FL
reply to adam1991

Well I assumed it was a tier. 25Mbit didn't make any sense to me, nor did the $10 a month as I was told 25 was $30 today. I didn't ask if that was bits or mbps

Like I said - Wow seems to hide their information for some reason so I have little to go on. The Customer Service Rep didn't even agree with was is posted from the W.O.W. FAQ's Advertised Speeds here.

I can't even find out what the different tiers are for Wow.

Oh, I live in Panama City Beach if that makes any difference. It wouldn't recognize that when I registered.

AlgUSF

join:2013-05-06
Seminole, FL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to LBL

said by LBL:

Well. Unfortunately he signed me up for the lowest tier. Wow called and said it would $30.00 a month to upgrade to 25mbps a month (like I had). Which would mean I would have to pay $58 a month for Internet WOW.

Around here (Tampa Bay Area of Florida), we were paying brighthouse $58.xx for 10/1. And we switched to 15/2 for $25 with WOW. And we get the advertised speeds with any speed testing app around.

devolved

join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
reply to LBL

Here in Rapid City, I'm on the 30/5 package. I upgraded a couple a months ago from the 15/2 and upgraded from a DOCSIS 2.0 modem to a D3 modem.

The "advertised" speed is 30/5 but I'm getting anywhere on average from 45 to 50 down and for the most part, 5.25 Mb up.

The tech who swapped out my D2 modem for the D3 modem said that after I ran a speed test and got 52 down and 5.25 up, he said that they actually keep the download side higher than advertised so that I am assured my "advertised" bandwidth. The lowest I've ever seen is about 32 Mb/sec.

I had also thought I had some line issues and we looked at that, but it turned out that the old DOCSIS 2.0 modem I initially was installed by Knology in 2010 with went bad.

LBL

Panama City, FL
reply to LBL

Well DH upgraded me the $10 package. WOW said there are no other options = $10 for 4X faster or $30 for 25X faster. Or something like that. I can't wrap my head around paying $30 extra a month for Internet - but something HAD to be done about the crappy speed I was at.

With Comcast I was download 31.96mbps Upload 6.34mbps and ping 41ms
With Wow I am download 2.97mbps Upload 1.28mbps and ping 40ms.

Now I have 57 ping ms and 14.85Mpbs download 2.19Mpbs Upload @ 7 in the evening.

I'll check it again tomorrow during the day when it's not so busy and see if there is any difference.