Search similar:

uniqs
kpow
join:2011-04-20
Natick, MA

1 edit

kpow

[Other] RCN Retention offers? Natick, MA

I have been am RCN customer for a very long time (got to be almost 15 years now) in the Boston market. I'm happy with my service and love RCN, but unfortunately the converter rentals are killing me. The current promotions offer new customers a whole home Tivo included in the 89.99, 3 service bundle. I called a representative, and was told there is nothing he could do to adjust my bill. I don't want to cancel, but I can get a better deal with no contract from Comcast and I'm sure Fios has something for us too, as both companies are constantly knocking on the door to get us to switch. I could very well just switch from company to company getting the best promotion available, but I really would rather not have to do that every year or two. In years past when I've had a problem and tried to cancel, the retention dept. has stepped up to the plate and kept us as customers. I don't want bells and whistles or new equipment, I'd just like to see if I could get at least the standard HD converter as a free rental, but am I going to have to cancel to get that far? I'd be willing to maybe adjust services, like upgrade internet if the numbers all worked out. Would RCN really lose a long time customer over this? Has anyone had any recent experience with RCN helping them with some kind of loyalty promo? Thanks.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

Re: [Other] RCN Retention offers?

said by kpow:

I'd just like to see if I could get at least the standard HD converter as a free rental, but am I going to have to cancel to get that far?

The package that you mentioned for $90/mo has 1 TiVo Premiere and 2 digital converters, PLUS Docsis cable modem rental and TiVo adaptor. You still would have to pay for extra set top boxes.

It might be helpful if you were more specific about the service you receive.

I know that my parents had 5 STD televisions hooked up back in 2009 when the service was still analog. They initially converted them all to Motorola set top boxes in Sept 2009 when RCN went all digital. Now they have TIVO QUAD and PREMIERE to take care of two HD televisions. But I turned in two of the Motorola boxes. For one TV I attached it to sources like DVD players or Roku box. The other spare TV was only being used for less than 4 hours per week as a distraction for physical therapy. I just bought a 50' component cable for $20 bucks and teed off the TIVO to two televisions. For only 4 hours per week I figure you can set the channel in one room, and walk to the other room.

RCN has been offering premium channels (STARZ, SHOWTIME/TMC, HBO/CINEMAX) on top of just basic over the air channels. For $50 you get one 50 mbps per second plus one HD converter and all the over the air channels. Then you can add premium channels for a modest increase.

You might want to make a determination about how you view TV. If one television with these stations is sufficient, maybe you can hook up a ROKU box or some other streaming device to the other televisions and use internet channels to replace the content that you see on A&E, TNT, TBS, FOXNEWS, etc.
kpow
join:2011-04-20
Natick, MA

kpow

Hi, we have Signature digital tv, 25 Mbps internet and home phone. 1 Tivo premier, 1 standard HD converter, 1 analog converter and an older Sci-ATL modem with our own router and with the 4.95 fee for private number the base is approx $132. I guess that's what's got me wanting some kind of adjustment, because after tax it's close to $35 monthly in converter rentals. I have no problem with the rates of the services, but I would like to know if there is any possibility or if anyone has had any recent success of having RCN fold the converter rentals into the base services price, instead of me considering canceling and taking a promotion from Comcast or Fios (who I've yet to call) - which is where we're at right now. It's just hard to swallow the rental fees when new customers are getting better equipment at much lower prices. Comcast offers a one year guaranteed rate that's slightly lower than my current base rate including 1 DVR, 1 HD converter and 1 analog box, with no contract and a 20$ increase thereafter, or a promo that offers all of that plus a $300 visa gift card and HBO with a 2 yr. agreement @ 79.99. If I took the one year rate, I'd save slightly on the converter rentals I'm paying for now and with no contract could then just re-sign with RCN and take whatever promo is offered next summer, which will most likely be even more attractive than the current one for new customers, offering the whole home Tivo. But I'd hate to have to do that, when all I really want is to get something worked out with the current equipment rentals. Thanks for the feedback.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by kpow:

Hi, we have Signature digital tv, 25 Mbps internet and home phone. 1 Tivo premier, 1 standard HD converter, 1 analog converter and an older Sci-ATL modem with our own router and with the 4.95 fee for private number the base is approx $132.

From what it looks like you are paying about $7 over the standard third year promotion price in Boston
Triple play for 3rd year $109.99 + HD converter box $9.95 + $4.95 fee for private number.

My best suggestion is not to switch to Comcast since their teaser rate won't last long. Switch you phone to one of those HOME CONNECT services like Plain Talk. They are $15 a month plus $99 for equipment. The phone is not VOIP, but is instead a permanent cell phone like piece of equipment that you plug into the wall and it activates all your phones. That way you will save your phone number and it will operate if the cable is out.

Cancel your RCN service for 30 days. Then buy the Digital TV with 50 Mbps High-Speed Internet (Channels 12 in HD) Tivo Character Package includes TiVo Premiere, 1 Digital Converter box, Docsis cable modem rental, Wireless Router, PLUS HBO for $59.99/mo.

Then get a ROKU box for your third TV and a Netflix service for $8 /month. You should save about $50 a month. This won't work if you need ESPN. The other cable channels can usually be replaced with online shows.