share rss forum feed

Reboot123

join:2012-07-05
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

teksavvy Static/Dynamic IP

Hi,

In a nutshell I was talking on skype with a friend who then added someone else and that person added 3 more persons and one of them DDoS me, I lost net until I close and reboot router and modem. Usually, as far as I recall if you have dynamic ip your ip changes upon router/modem reboot right? So that you can not get DDoS by the same person again, but when rebooted my ip stayed the same as before...

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Or... don't use skype or get into a call with people who are going to ddos you..

Reboot123

Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
...I was in a call with someone I knew that someone added 1 person who then added 3 others and one of them did that, it was by far 100% unexpected, no offense but what u just said is like saying do not take the train if you do not want to get into train accidents =_=

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to Reboot123
If you're on cablem unless you release the IP specifically, and even then there's no guarantee you won't get it back, you will virtually always get the same IP.

Reboot123

Montreal, QC
but according to command prompt I have dynamic ip, unless my understanding of dynamic ip is wrong, should it not change upon reboot of modem?

elitedev

join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON
Your understanding is incorrect.

It will only change if both these events are true. 1st your lease on that IP address has expired, and 2nd that same IP address has been leased to some other user (if not, it will likely just renew the same lease). You can guarantee a new IP address by changing the MAC address of the device the modem is connected too, very easy to do with most routers (see MAC cloning for more information).

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Reboot123
it is up to the DHCP server which provides you the ip. it has a lease for you and it may or may not care if you power cycle your modem or release/renew your ip.

if it holds that ip lease open for you, you will end up with the same ip back again.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
I'm not sure if it's still the same way on Rogers, but the DHCP lease was tied to your computer or router's MAC address (what device made the DHCP request). so if you need a new IP address you would have to spoof or change your MAC address, most routers let you do this and it's a simple terminal command on OSX and Linux, but I'm not sure the process for Windows.

DHCP leases can last several weeks usually unless node maintenance is happening where it drops to a few hours.

Reboot123

Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Reboot123
Hi, thank you for your answers everyone, on command prompt after I reset modem it says that my lease expires in 7 days, but it will probably give back the same ip even if I release it (cable modem)(had this ip for as long as I can remember) and Teksavvy says they cannot provide me a new ip (I lost connection again today ._. , 3 times now within 2 days...). I never tried it but I guess trying to change mac would be my only option...

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
i use raidcall instead of skype for this exact reason, no one can get ur ip on raidcall
--
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Reboot123
Not sure if it works the same in Canada but in the US if you unplug your modem/router and PC for 24 hours the modem does in fact get a new IP as chances are someone else would get that IP.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
not true, i have heard of shaw customers turning of there modem for months when on vacation coming back turning it back on and having the same ip, with my old telus dsl i would just turn of modem/wait 30 second reboot and have a new ip, with shaw cable i have to change the mac adress on my router (this only works if your in bridge mode and have your own router) then reboot my router and the shaw modem
--
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U