how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lintball

join:2008-05-22
Nashville, TN

Proper DNS setup?

I thought I had this figured out, but this morning a win7 PC on LAN2 could not browse the internet and the team viewer session would not show up as 'ready' for this PC. I went to the PC, set manual DNS to 8.8.8.8, and it works.

I have my USG 20 DNS settings, system, DNS as below:

Address/PTR record -- nothing
Domain Zone Forwarder -- user defined 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

Is it also required to set settings, network, interface lan1 & lan2 to user-defined DNS? Or should 'from zywall' pick up the above system, settings, DNS, Domain Zone Forwarder settings?

I simply want to know where/how to enter google's DNS so that all devices on lan1/2 will get them.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

There are two ways. On the USG series, if you want the router to assign the devices on your network the direct addresses for the DNS server(s):
Configuration -> Network -> Interface -> Ethernet. From here EDIT the object (lan1 in my case) you're using. Scroll down to the DHCP Setting area and fill in the appropriate areas. For me I use "DHCP Server" in the DHCP box. I then fill out First DNS server as Custom Defined, 8.8.8.8; the second as Custom Defined, 8.8.4.4; and the third as From ISP, wan 1st DNS server.

The second way is to have the address for the router assigned as the DHCP server to your network devices and tell your router where the DHCP servers are. The devices on your network are then told to connect to the router for DHCP information which in turn connects to the DHCP servers and passes the information on. I've never set it up this way, so this is just my guess:
Configuration -> Network -> Interface -> Ethernet. From here EDIT the object (lan1 in my case) you're using. Scroll down to the DHCP Setting area and fill in the appropriate areas. In the DHCP box choose DHCP relay. In the Server Relay 1 and Server Relay 2 boxes enter your 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 information.