Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

2 edits

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Use of CAT 5 cable for telephone

I have more CAT 5 cable than phone cable, so I'm hoping to use CAT 5 in place of phone cable...
(The plan is to have the unused wires be available for an intercom system at a later date).

Question... If this is a known acceptable useage.... What wire colors of the CAT 5 should be used for the 2 phone wires....

Normally the phone wires are Red and Green. which CAT 5 wires go with which phone colors?

Granted, the color of the wire means nothing with regard to the connection, but if a 'standard' exists, I guess I should learn it ---- and use it !

All Ethernet being done with CAT 6 cable... so CAT 5 cable will never be used for data...
Plans are to use CAT5 for phone, possible intercom, and/or GPI wiring.
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Would like confirmation that this is correct....

CAT 5-----------Telephone
Blue-------------Red
Blue/White------Green

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

PeeWee

Premium Member

said by Jan Janowski:

Blue-------------Red
Blue/White------Green

Yes
second line for same phone would be the green pair assuming 568b.

imanonok
@comcast.net

imanonok to Jan Janowski

Anon

to Jan Janowski
I have found this picture very helpful: »jpelectron.com/sample/El ··· nout.png
VanDivX
join:2003-07-22
Toronto, ON

2 edits

VanDivX to Jan Janowski

to Jan Janowski
I have a question regarding this idea of phone over the same CAT5 wire that carries internet. I take it, there cannot be a point where the cable goes through a switch before the phone connects to it, right?

Meaning if I would use the brown pair and split it out in the basement and feed phone line into it, if that wire goes upstairs into a switch, I have to split out that brown pair there, where the wire goes into the switch, or anywhere before that, right?

Using the blue pair seems so smart, that means you can plug a phone or PC into the same RJ45 socket but you still have to hack the blue pair out at the source end of the wire to feed the phone line in, right?

I got the idea on this job from here.
»www.instructables.com/id ··· -a-pair/
but pulling wires out from before RJ45 Jack is probably more difficult than from the socket...

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

It will work with 10/100 but it's Not Recommended. It will NOT work with gigabit (10/100/1000) as gigabit requires all 4 pairs.

/M

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to VanDivX

Premium Member

to VanDivX
said by VanDivX:

I have a question regarding this idea of phone over the same CAT5 wire that carries internet. I take it, there cannot be a point where the cable goes through a switch before the phone connects to it, right?

I believe that is correct. The switch would terminate the signal on the pair used by POTS and it won't do anything with those pins.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to VanDivX

MVM

to VanDivX
10/100 Mbps Ethernet only use 2 of the four pair but Gig and faster use all four. If you split out one of the pairs you will not be able to run Gig Ethernet.

If possible it is better not to get creative with wiring and wire your residence to be standards compatible.

/tom
VanDivX
join:2003-07-22
Toronto, ON

VanDivX

I'll do just one time job to one location in the house. It is all wired with CAT5e and I might pull new wires for gigabit ethernet sometimes in future.

As I thought I will have to get creative and bypass one switch that gets in the way where the phone should be located. I will split out the brown pair from the uplink and splice it to the outgoing wire brown pair.

Thanks all for input.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to Jan Janowski

to Jan Janowski
said by Jan Janowski:

Blue-------------Red
Blue/White------Green

that's the commonly accepted standard, yes

realistically, if the wire in only going to be used for telephone, and that's it, as long as you pick the same 2 wires at each end, you're fine
Expand your moderator at work

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity
join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

DigitalXeron to Jan Janowski

to Jan Janowski

Re: Use of CAT 5 cable for telephone

Also in conjunction with the above colour information, be extremely careful with the twisted pairs. CAT5/6 is designed to have the twisted pairs going right up to the very end before they terminate at the connector/jack. The twists are not primarily for making the cable look fancy, they're in place to introduce a specific calculated amount of crosstalk among the conductors (that ethernet transceivers (network cards) are able to filter out). Removing this twisting unnecessarily can interfere with this calculation and cause packet loss.

As long as on at least the data pins, you keep the twists in place, you'll be fine running a 10/100 Mbit system.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to Jan Janowski

to Jan Janowski
I understand what you want to do. I have used these with great success:

QuickTreX® Voice/Data Splitter (Pair)

»www.lanshack.com/QuickTr ··· 560.aspx