spc
Search similar:

uniqs

maiki
@tmodns.net

maiki

Anon

[Fusion] Why can't I get Fusion?

Although I am writing this from my phone's broadband (T-Mobile) (not at home right now), my home connection is Verizon DSL, which sucks big time. (LA area)

I would really like to switch to the Fusion DSL started by the ISP Sonic in Northern California, and now also offered in Southern California by DSLX. It seems like a great deal--a much faster internet speed (especially for those of us that do not do cable TV), at a reasonable price.

Except-- I am unfortunate to live in a Verizon-monopoly-landline area, and Verizon does not allow Fusion in its area. Fusion is only allowed by ATT.

(What ever happened to the telecommunications act of decades ago that broke up Ma Bell and was supposed to lead to more consumer choice? I recall for a time we had a choice of landline providers. Why is it now a dual monopoly of either ATT or Verizon, and we have zero choice in the matter?)

In any case, a very important broadband choice (Fusion DSL) is being denied to all California citizens who live in the Verizon-monopolized landline areas. This seems to be totally unfair and anti-competitive.

The federal government seems to want to promote greater availability of faster broadband, at a lower price. Fusion would seen to fit that goal.

Perhaps the following has already been done, but I am not aware of it. Could the two ISPs in California that do Fusion--Sonic and DSLX, along with many of we users who want Fusion but live in Verizon-monopolized areas, file some kind of complaint with the FCC, or even file a case in federal court, about Verizon not allowing this important broadband choice in their monopolized areas, severely restricting consumer choice in broadband, in a large portion of the state?

Any ideas on this possibility? (If this is already being done, please reply with info about it, how I could help or join in, etc.) Thank you. (I think it might be a good idea if this post was also posted in the Verizon DSL forum, but I don't know if I would be allowed to post it twice. Perhaps someone else could post a similar post there, or a link to this one?) (If the issue is not already under discussion there.)

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Please do not cross-post this in the Verizon forum as it really has nothing to do with Verizon DSL. Thank you.

maiki
@tmodns.net

maiki

Anon

Thank you for the quick response, Sashwa.

OK, I will not cross-post the thread to the Verizon DSL forum. I thought that would likely be forbidden.

However, I must respectfully disagree with your statement that this issue has nothing to do with Verizon DSL. Because, there might (very likely) be many Verizon DSL customers who (like me) would like to get Fusion service, and are very unhappy that they cannot do so, due to the unfortunate fact that the location we live in is monopolized by Verizon.

There might be other Verizon DSL users who never heard of Fusion. Once they learned about it, they might also want it, and also be unhappy that they cannot get it.

In any case, I am still interested in hearing feedback on this forum about the issue in my OP.

By the way, I forgot to mention, that Verizon does not offer FIOS where I live. So the only option I and others where I live would have to get faster broadband than Verizon DSL, would be through another mega-monopoly, Time-Warner Cable. As i do not have TV service through them, and am not interested in getting it, that isn't a broadband choice for me.

I would very much like to get Fusion though.

(I guess if Google Fiber starts up in the Los Angeles area, that would provide another choice, but I don't know if that will ever happen, nor when?)

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Except Fusion is via Sonic not Verizon.

Edit: We do have a Sonic forum though:

»Sonic

maiki
@tmodns.net

maiki

Anon

Sashwa- I believe the ISP Sonic started the Fusion service. Sonic is only in Northern California though. In Southern California (where I live) Fusion is provided by the ISP DSLExtreme (perhaps licensed by Sonic), and that is why I wrote to the DSLX forum.

However, Fusion has to go through the landlines of the landline monopoly where one lives, which in this state means either ATT or Verizon. (With absolutely no choice in the matter by the user, it depends on your address.)

Fusion in this state (whether provided by Sonic in the North, or DSLX in the South) is only available in the ATT-monopolized areas. The reason for that is-the company Verizon does not allow it in their monopolized areas.

I consider that unjust, and I am sure that there are many other users of Verizon DSL who would like to have the choice of Fusion service, but cannot get it due to the unfortunate fact that Verizon monopolizes the landlines where they live, and does not allow Fusion service on their lines.

So certainly the subject would be of interest also to Verizon DSL users many of whom might not think of visiting this DSLX forum, nor the Sonic forum.

I am following your order not to cross-post though.

In any case, I am still eager to hear responses (includiing from DSLX management, and other users) to the topic of this thread.

Thank you.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
428.1 21.6

sashwa

Mod

I understand what you are saying but it also works in reverse with Vz FiOS here in the SF Bay Area. There are pockets of Verizon up here but no FiOS nor could we get FiOS if we were in ATT territory even if FiOS was offered up here in the Verizon areas.

DSLX use to be able to offer FiOS if a person was in a Verizon FiOS area but Verizon stopped selling FiOS to resellers.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to maiki

MVM

to maiki
said by maiki :

(What ever happened to the telecommunications act of decades ago that broke up Ma Bell and was supposed to lead to more consumer choice? I recall for a time we had a choice of landline providers. Why is it now a dual monopoly of either ATT or Verizon, and we have zero choice in the matter?)

I suspect (but do not know for certain) that the history of the breakup of AT&T plays a role. The USDoJ action would only have applied to the ex-Bell companies, but not to any non-Bell companies. Subsequent to the breakup of AT&T (Bell), but prior to the mergers of the early '90s, there were two major ILECs in California; General Telephone and Electric (GTE) and The Pacific Telesis Group (Pacific Bell). The competitive requirements of the DoJ antitrust judgment would only have applied to The Pacific Telesis Group, but not to non-Bell GTE. I believe Verizon does have to allow competitive access in their ex-Bell regions (former Bell Atlantic and NYNEX; U.S. Northeast). But Verizon, in California, is ex-GTE.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

We offer Fusion service through Sonic. In order for us to do so, Sonic needs to build and install equipment (DSLAMs, etc.) in the Central Offices of the resident ILEC. They have done so in certain areas of Southern California controlled by AT&T, but not all - coverage is still expanding (Orange County is the next slated target). Verizon isn't denying them access (no need to lobby against Verizon on that point), although I don't know if Sonic has entered negotiations with them for CO space, so even if/when Sonic does start expanding into Verizon territory, it may be a while until the expansion hits such areas. I'll be sure to post whenever I get more information regarding such (I'm in a Verizon area myself, so such is very pertinent to my own interests, as you can imagine).
NC37
join:2003-05-13

NC37 to maiki

to maiki
I'd actually really like it if Verizon would do something with their DSL networks. They are heavily pushing FiOS in this area. When I had problems on the phone lines in the area they sent out 5 FiOS techs who did little more than try to push FiOS on me as a solution, before finally sending out a copper line tech who in 15 mins, found the damaged lines and fixed it.

That doesn't show confidence at all. Which is pretty much the relationship we've had with Verizon ever since they took over. One of the worst Telcos I've ever had to deal with.

Friend of mine down in the OC area is getting over 1.5MB/sec downloads with DSL and is paying half the price I am for 3000/768. Its stupid and Verizon keeps getting away with it. For a time DSLx had a 7100/768 line listed for this area but now that is gone and the top speed is only a 5000/768 line for half the price of FiOS lines which offer much more speed.

It is blatant. Verizon doesn't like people staying with the older lines. They want everyone on FiOS and they want total control over that. How they have not been sued yet...sigh.

You know what would get me on FiOS in a heartbeat? If it was offered through DSLx again. I abstained when it first launched because I wanted to see how it would pan out, Verizon then took away the deal. But now, I want more speed and I don't want to pay a premium to get it when I know people getting it for a tiny fraction. Cable is one horror story after another so that option is out too.

Terrible to live in an area under Verizon's money grubbing claw.
maikii
join:2012-08-08
Pacific Palisades, CA

maikii to dslx_nick

to dslx_nick
Thanks for the info, DSLx-nick. However, every place in the whole state that has fusion is in an ATT area. Is that just that it has not expanded yet to Verizon areas? Are you sure there isn't some obstruction by Verizon going on?
maikii

maikii to NC37

to NC37
No FIOS available in my area. Just extremely crappy verizon DSL, with so many problems, and bad customer service. But this isn't the right forum to complain about Verizon. I sure wish I had the Fusion option though!
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

1 recommendation

PowerMac to maiki

to maiki
said by Anon80:So the only option I and others where I live would have to get faster broadband than Verizon DSL, would be through another mega-monopoly, Time-Warner Cable. As i do not have TV service through them, and am not interested in getting it, that isn't a broadband choice for me.
[/bquote :

You know.. You dont have to order cable TV to get internet. You can get cable internet installed without TV service.
Can you put Verizon DSL stat? There is a chance if DSL can go faster if signal is strong enough

ocjosh
join:2013-03-19
Anaheim, CA

ocjosh to dslx_nick

to dslx_nick
If Verizon doesn't have anything to do with blocking the competitions, why DSLX had offered through Verizon area before matching Verizon slower speeds?

DSLX is not signing up Verizon landline customers now as well as you mentioned about Sonic.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

I got your IM. Your location is a Verizon area, but it appears that we cannot offer DSL in that area; since you mentioned it's a FIOS area, I expect the DSLAMs, and perhaps even the copper wire itself, have been removed from that area to make room for the FIOS equipment and lines. Unfortunately, that means we are not able to provide service in that particular area. Sorry!