Search similar:

uniqs
dialsoft
Premium Member
join:2009-05-25
Parsippany, NJ

dialsoft

Premium Member

FIOS Quantum 300/65 with 63 Static IPS - Support?

Hiya,

I have this service and they are doing something I am unfamiliar with. I have no router in house. It seems to be a virtual off premise router that Verizon is providing. I have .1 to .63 with .2 to .62 usable. Im assigning machines on my network statically and its all working but im confused as to why they told me to use a 255.255.255.0 as a netmask when It should be 255.255.255.192

Am I wrong? can anyone explain why?

also if I Mac scan my network I show all ips in use as Jupiter networks ( I assume that is the Verizon hardware) all with the same mac address. What are the downfalls to this type of config and should I be using my own router?

Marc
derekivey
join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA

1 edit

derekivey

That appears to be how Verizon does it. I found a few other threads describing the same setup. It seems they tell everyone to use a /24, even if they only have like 5 IP addresses. I've never gotten a static IP from them so I have never really seen this before.

»Problems setting up Static IPs
Edit: Found this FAQ too: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Does Verizon business FIOS (Static IP) use subnetting?

My guess is they just have static ARP entries for your assigned addresses that tie the IPs to your ONT.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by derekivey:

My guess is they just have static ARP entries for your assigned addresses that tie the IPs to your ONT.

Quite possibly. Our 5 IPs come with a /24 mask also. But what I don't understand about the OP's setup is why they made .63 not useable. That implies a /26.

Strange.
derekivey
join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA

1 edit

derekivey

Yeah that is strange. That's only 61 usable IPs and he's paying for 63? I'd be curious to see what he's being charged for... is it really 63 usable static IPs? I couldn't easily find Verizon's Static IP pricing. I know at work we have static IPs from Comcast and the most we can get on their Business Class HSI is 13 IPs (a /28). They bill us for the usable IPs.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

1 edit

rebus9

said by derekivey:

I couldn't easily find Verizon's Static IP pricing.

Here's the lastest I have. VZ holds static IPs up for ransom.

5 for $20
13 for $50
29 for $80
61 for $120
125 for $190

(This is in addition to the cost to upgrade from dynamic IP to 1 static IP. Note that the 15/5 plan is not eligible for static IP.)
mario44222
join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

mario44222

I have 150/65 with the block of 63 IPs unfortuntely Verizon FIOS doesn't use traditional subnetting and they use 255.255.255.0 for their subnets.

Also on certain routers you may need to enable Open ARP depending on the type of ONT they are providing you.

Also even though they say its 63 IPs one is the broadcast IP and the other is the network IP hence its really a block of 61.
dialsoft
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dialsoft

Premium Member

what is open ARP?
mario44222
join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

mario44222

Take a look at:

»Sonicwall TZ150 - Switch from T1 to Fios "No Internet"

If you are using a sonicwall router the ONT will provide a 0.0.0.0 address which doesn't correspond to an MAC address on your network, and therefore your FIOS connection drops because the router sees this as a ARP cache posioning. Like I said this may vary on the router you are using.
dialsoft
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dialsoft

Premium Member

Im not using a router. I have a switch directly plugged into the Verizon equipment and removed their router from the network as required in order to use the static IPs. Their router doesn't allow operation with static Ip or they don't recommend it.

I have 3 devices plugged into the switch with static ips.
dialsoft

dialsoft to derekivey

Premium Member

to derekivey
the 300/65 service with 61 usable ips Is 405 a month for me.