uniqs
share rss forum feed

potato

join:2012-12-13
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Net10 Unlimited on AT&T

RE: »www.phonenews.com/net10-removes-···d-23238/

1. Is Net10 on AT&T 3G or 4G? I seem to remember reading somewhere that AT&T MVNOs only get 3G, but I am hoping I am wrong.

2. What sort of speeds should I expect with Net10 on AT&T when I have full signal strength with a modern phone?

3. Are there other companies that use AT&T that might be better for me? I would only need text and data - I can't speak so unlimited voice is useless to me.

4. Is porting a number in (or out) simple enough? Anyone have any problems with that?

-----
Sorry for all the noob questions, I've never had a data plan before due to expense. However, $45 per month without a cap interests me.

I'm thinking about getting a new phone - a Note 2 or maybe a Note 3 when its available unlocked. I only have an old 3G Symbian phone without a data plan right now. AT&T is the only wireless provider that I get a strong signal with in my little town (AT&T's maps also show 4G here). It would be nice having access to my email, XMPP, and forums when my ISP craps out - happens a lot with Mediacom.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
AT&T calls HSPA+ 4G, but it is really 3G. AT&T also offers LTE which is also called 4G, or 4G-LTE

said by potato:

3. Are there other companies that use AT&T that might be better for me? I would only need text and data - I can't speak so unlimited voice is useless to me.

See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un···perators

said by potato:

4. Is porting a number in (or out) simple enough? Anyone have any problems with that?

Just make sure you leave the old account alone until after you have ported the number... if you cancel your current account before the port is started/complete you can loose the number.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to potato
I have similar physical limitations as you and I live in an a similar area as you so good connectivity and TEXT is very important to me. Your reception/signal is dependent upon the quality of the phone and how close you are to a cell tower. None of the cell phones work well in competitor areas.

I wanted a no-contract 3G/WiFi, Bluetooth, M3/T3 *with* a virtual keyboard to leverage my disabilities. The only phone I could find that fit my needs is a Tracfone LG840G - which indicates (G) it is an AT&T phone. I was pleasantly surprised to find Windows browser on it.

I believe this phone will meet or exceed your needs. It found my wireless network when I turned it on. It is very responsive. I was surprised at quickly it accessed the Windows brower.

This phone is sold with triple minutes. This means if you buy 60 minutes you receive 180. It does show how many minutes remain and the expire date. For instance I have 937 minutes and 131 service days before I need to add more minutes -- which is over 3 months.

If you have a speaking person help you order from Tracfone there is an advantage. When you order airtime thru Tracfone you will be offered the same amount of additional airtime/triple minutes at half price. Every time I add minutes it increases the minutes and service days.

But there is a caveat. If you buy a triple minute phone and then purchase double minutes airtime you WILL LOSE the triple minutes permanently. It is an either or, rather than both. I would rather have the extra 60 minutes.

There is another caveat. I chose the *no-contract* plan. I cannot use Straight Talk or Net10 airtime plans. It may have some limitations concerning Apps, games, etc., but if you do not need these things you will not be disappointed with web access, texting, photo, or the things you DO need. If you want the games, etc., you will need to take a monthly or pre-paid contract.

The LG840G does come with a 2MB SD card. I went to radio shack and maxed the SD card to 8 or 16 MB ($8) for more pictures. I also went to Walmart and purchased a hard rubber case with a clip on the back as I tend to drop things ($30). This has a slot at the bottom end where I can carge the phone without taking it out of the protective case.

It is a good phone for vision/hearing impaired. It has great quality pictures for its size. The 3G/WiFi and bluetooth offers extra connectivity options. It does very well in a 3G or WiFi situations.

AT&T is really good at talking about 4G. I travel a lot, but have yet to see a true 4G area from AT&T. It may be in NYC, but I can tell you it is not in rural America - which is why I do not worry over it. 3G/WiFi works well for me and it should for you too. I belive you have a 14 day window to test it. Good Luck!
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

potato

join:2012-12-13
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to potato
Thank you very much for the replies, dib22 and linicx.

dib22, that wikipedia link is a fantastic resource and it looks like it gets updated frequently.

linicx, that was quite a write-up on the 840G. I think, however, if I decide a data plan is right for me - assuming I can find one that I think is a good value - I will probably end up getting a "phablet". Something that is pretty large for ease of use, but just small enough to fit into a cargo pants pocket. I do thank you for taking the time to post such a well-written, thoughtful review.

-----
For curiosity's sake, I just switched off my GSM radio and switched on my 3G radio in my Nokia C7-00. It shows "3.5G" with full signal bars in the task pane. I didn't know there was a "3.5G". LOL, back to researching ...

Thanks again, guys!

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by potato:

I didn't know there was a "3.5G". LOL, back to researching ...

3.5G is another marketing thing... this time on nokias part... it is basically basically saying it's HSPA or better.

Gotta love marketing... did you know in fact that LTE isn't really even 4G? neat ehh?