Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stavro

join:2013-08-17
reply to jlester

Re: Town ordinances violate OTARD, need advice

said by jlester:

Screw that put up your APs and tell them to shove it!

When the town takes down Dish and DirecTV dishes, they just yank them out of the roof, shingles and all, and toss it in the dumpster.

So when my customers have the same thing happen to them, who pays for the damage? I can't keep putting up a new CPE once a week while letting the homeowner rack up $5k in fines for each installation.

If I go into the town at all, I'll have to have the law sorted out before the first installation, otherwise the town will scare people away from my service by making a show of damaging people's homes, just as they did when they ripped the satellite dishes off of people's homes.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by Stavro:

When the town takes down Dish and DirecTV dishes, they just yank them out of the roof, shingles and all, and toss it in the dumpster.

I don't see any way that can be legal. Ordinance violations need hearings. They can't just trespass on someone's property and steal shit. If there is imminent danger to residents, it becomes a public safety issue, and then exceptions are made, but for a simple antenna, I don't see how any town could legally step foot onto the property and then cause excessive damage without a public hearing process.

I get the feeling that this town is either breaking the law big time, or you're simply exaggerating beyond anything believable. Unless the residents are just too scared to stand up for themselves, I have a hard time imagining that what you're saying is really true.

jlester

join:2005-02-07
N. Calif.

1 edit
reply to Stavro

Poppycock! What is the name of the town? I may come set up some APs to prove my point. There is no way they can trespass and take down private property, no way! What is the town and state? Either tell us or stop this nonsense. No town can take down someones antennas, especially for TV but the OTARD rules have been changed to include antennas used for internet access, as well commercial repeaters in a point to point to point system as long as the homeowner is an end user.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

I do also find this hard to believe.

Stavro

reply to jcremin

said by jcremin:

Ordinance violations need hearings. They can't just trespass on someone's property and steal shit.

They do have hearings. The problem is that if someone doesn't show up for the hearing due to the notice being lost in the mail, the town wins by default unless the homeowner goes to court.

»www.risingsunmd.org/department/?fDD=16-0

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Stavro

If they are really as bad as you say, why would you want to attempt to provide service there? They may give you the green light, and then change their minds a month later.

If what you say is really happening, I can't image Dish and DirecTV not getting their legal people involved.

Stavro

I'm only planning to do business within the town limits if I can reasonably stop the town form taking down the equipment. If not, then I'll just provide service to the edge of town and let the locals vote to overturn the law.

funkyfelty
Armament For Peace

join:2002-10-01
Lebanon, PA

1 edit
reply to Stavro

I say put them up. I work for a wireless company, and let me tell you, we have put up stuff all over MD. Go look at the local govt & school buildings. You will find antennas on top of a lot of them.

That whole county was once connected by all wireless. Some of the sites are still on wireless because the fiber has not been completed yet.

Also, here is the FCC Consumer Guide for OTARD
»transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerf···dish.pdf

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Stavro

A shot gun would fix them for coming on the property. that and an electrified fence.