Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ram1220

join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX
reply to vengance01

Re: U-Verse Picture seems better than I last had it

No they have not increased the bitrate. The HD picture looks a bit better on a still or slowly moving picture. But it still looks horrible watching sports or any fast moving scene. I was flipping through the channels last night and Forrest Gump was on. During one of his running scenes the picture was horrible.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Hopefully that's something that they have planned as a fix with the coming Project VIP, since that has been one of the biggest gripes that people have had with uVerse for some time.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ram1220

said by ram1220:

...it still looks horrible watching sports or any fast moving scene.

I do not have this problem.
Expand your moderator at work

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
reply to ram1220

Re: U-Verse Picture seems better than I last had it

That's why I switched to satellite (Dish.) Not only so that watching TV wouldn't slow down my Internet, not only because of the four-stream limit (I can record up to 19 shows at the same time on my Dish setup,) but because YouTube HD looks better than U-verse HD. I'll never forget a comment my friend made while we were trying to watch a football game on U-verse, when they threw the ball it literally looked like a brown square instead of a football. Not to mention how the green grass was always morphing.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net

said by WhyMe420:

YouTube HD looks better than U-verse HD.

When was the last time you watched U-verse HD?

WhyMe420
Premium

said by Anon80:

said by WhyMe420:

YouTube HD looks better than U-verse HD.

When was the last time you watched U-verse HD?

It's been a while, but since they haven't upped the bitrate from 5.39Mbps/Stream it's not looking good for U-verse HD. Satellite can have much higher bitrates.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

said by WhyMe420:

It's been a while, but since they haven't upped the bitrate from 5.39Mbps/Stream it's not looking good for U-verse HD. Satellite can have much higher bitrates.

You would probably be surprised by how much better it is. In the case I was complaining about above it turned out to be the local broadcaster. They look as bad now as Uverse used to look. DirectTV still has an advantage on PQ.

It's still not an A+ picture but much better.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to WhyMe420

said by WhyMe420:

Since it has been a while, perhaps you should stop making the same comment based on old information. It's not all about bitrates.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to WhyMe420

said by WhyMe420:

By the way, the bitrate for a U-verse HD stream is not 5.39 Mbps.

WhyMe420
Premium

said by Anon80:

said by WhyMe420:

Since it has been a while, perhaps you should stop making the same comment based on old information. It's not all about bitrates.

If a feed is starved of bitrate, it doesn't matter how much they've "improved" things. It's smoke and mirrors. For your information, this is the first time I've commented on U-verse's bad PQ in a long time. I'll say it again, seeing as you're not a mod and can't tell me what and what not to say.

said by Anon80:

said by WhyMe420:

Since you're so sure that it's not 5.39Mbps, then what is it? I guarantee you it's not over 6Mbps.

WhyMe420
Premium
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

said by WhyMe420:

You would probably be surprised by how much better it is. In the case I was complaining about above it turned out to be the local broadcaster. They look as bad now as Uverse used to look. DirectTV still has an advantage on PQ.

It's still not an A+ picture but much better.

Good to hear that it's getting better. Now if they'd up the bitrate and allow more than a measly 4 streams and a single DVR I might consider their TV service again. It would also be nice if they supported external hard drives.

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

I hear that. I think they need to add more bandwidth to existing streams before adding additional ones. My 1 TB internal drive is plenty for storage and yes the quality has gotten better but it's still not up to par with competitors yet.

Merlin

join:2012-06-08
Dallas, TX
reply to WhyMe420

said by WhyMe420 See Profile
If a feed is starved of bitrate, it doesn't matter how much they've "improved" things. It's smoke and mirrors. For your information, this is the first time I've commented on U-verse's bad PQ in a long time. I'll say it again, seeing as you're not a mod and can't tell me what and what not to say.

There is much more to the equation than just bitrate. The latest generation of transcoders are 50% more efficient than the last generation which makes PQ significantly better without raising the bitrate one byte.

WhyMe420
Premium

As I said, smoke and mirrors. Can't reproduce data that's not there.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to Merlin

said by Merlin:

The latest generation of transcoders are 50% more efficient than the last generation

I'm sure that helps but it's definitely not solving the issue. I was over at a neighbors last night watching a game and compression artifacts were clearly visible. During a break there was a commercial for the miss america pageant and apparently all the damn sparkles on a girls dress confused the hell out of the transcoder. It looked like early 2000's compression for a couple of seconds.

said by Anon80:

What is it then? If they're varying the bitrate by channel based on popularity then I'd be curious to know what the max bitrate is for the most popular channels.