how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sparkyjimbo

@brunico.com

DSL config

Hi,

My son is subscribed to Electronic Box DSL. His internet was working, but then had to re-format his HD. Re-installed Windows 7, but now the internet is not working. He is using a Bell 2Wire modem, and the DSL light is flashing. Is there a config that needs to be done in the network settings? Thank you

ghost_face

@electronicbox.net

If his DSL light is blinking this usually means his modem is trying to establish DSL sync but does not have it. This is in no way controlled by your computer. I would call Electronic Box technical support line in order to get help with this matter.

Sparkyjimbo

@brunico.com

Thank you ghost_face. I just found it strange that it happened after re-formatting the HD. He's going to try another modem (just in case) before calling tech support. How does EB recognize the user name and password?

ghost_face

@electronicbox.net

it is done via a server they operate.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to Sparkyjimbo

Just be sure you did not put the modem thru a filter ... Re-check the psysical cord connections ...

Sparkyjimbo

@brunico.com

Thank you Ghost_face and MFido....so as long as it's a DSL modem, it should connect?

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to Sparkyjimbo

1st, be sure you have the wires ok and the DSL light strady green, not blinking.

Then, if the modem was set-up in bridge mode, it is possible you had a dialer who did the pppoe authentification (and by re-installing the Windows your internet will not work).

Otherwise you have to program the modem as routed pppoe and put there the username / passw you gor from ebox

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Sparkyjimbo

So his internet was working till he reinstalled windows 7. sounds like the proper drivers for the NIC wasnt installed. Im sure the modem is just fine, try installing the drivers for the NIC. Might have to go somewhere else to download the drivers.

ghost_face

@electronicbox.net

has nothing to do with the driver because the dsl light on his modem is not solid this mean the modem has no sync at the moment and is trying to establish it. The NIC has no control over this.

Sparkyjimbo

@brunico.com

Thank you all. This is all great info, and I'm finally learning how it actually connects. The modem was working before re-formatting. I logged into the modem, and it still has my old Bell username and password. This is why I'm confused as to how it actually connected in the first place.

ghost_face

@electronicbox.net

Did you press the little reset hole in the back of the modem? If so it could have fallen back to its default settings and if its a Bell modem this could be normal.

Sparkyjimbo

@brunico.com

I have not pressed the reset, although I have powered it down, wait a few seconds, and power up. I thought it required the username-password, so I entered my son's username and password in the logon fields.

ghost_face

@electronicbox.net

this is odd then. what kind of modem are you using?

Sparkyjimbo

@brunico.com

It is a Bell 2Wire. The white modem. It was working, without any changes to it, but when it stopped working, I thought maybe it had defaulted back to my username and password, so I entered my son's info. If it defaulted though, it would have left the username/password fields blank.

ghost_face

@electronicbox.net

not necessarily some modems will revert to a preconfigured username and password. I would strongly advise at this point calling support this way they will be able to let you know what the problem is

Sparkyjimbo

@brunico.com

Will do....thanks again for the great help. I'll post back when resolved.

ghost_face

@electronicbox.net

any time! glad I could of helped!