Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

uscuba2

join:2013-08-19
Mokena, IL

1 edit

New to comcast HSI

I am about to order comcast internet (uverse sucks at my house). What type of modem and router should I buy?
So I have WIFI, I am assume that that I have to buy a modem amd a router separately from each other. I have not done t his set up before so if there is a FAQ that would be great.

Netkeys

join:2000-12-08
Fort Lauderdale, FL

You can get a modem router combo.

Here's the list of devices supported by Comcast

Comcast Supported Device List

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to uscuba2

I would strongly suggest to stay far away from their TROUBLESOME combo gateway devices. Go with separates, you'll be spared a lot of grief !!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

reply to uscuba2

I prefer a separate modem and router. I do it because if the router dies, I typically have a spare. If the modem dies, I have an extra one of those as well. As for what you should buy, there are a plethora of devices out there. I love the Motorola cable modems, and the ASUS routers such as the RT-N66U.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:3
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to uscuba2

You want the Motorola SB6141 modem.

For the router,

You want either one of these:

Good "Enough"
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33168133
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33168122 (If you want gigabit)
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33320168 (If you want external antennas)
Pretty Good:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33168123 (Cheaper, but good specs)
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33320062 (Among highest rated mid range device)
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33127496 (Newer AC wireless with higher speeds than N)
High End:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···k=RT-N66 (Not sure when it'll be back in stock)
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···RT-AC66U
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···pk=r6300 (You would want the v2 of this product if you can find it at Best Buy)

The one thing I liked about Asus routers with AiRadar is that it actually works unlike others.

DavidEBSmith
Premium
join:2005-12-23
Chicago, IL
reply to uscuba2

+1 on the separate modem & router. Let's you upgrade or replace one or the other separately, or get a router with features not offered on the Comcast combo gateways (like dual band wifi until recently, DLNA server, etc. ) Right now I've got the Comcast-rental Ubee 3515 modem and an Asus RT-N53 router. I had to upgrade to the latest and greatest Asus firmware to get it work right with Comcast, but now it's great.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to uscuba2

said by uscuba2:

I am about to order comcast internet (uverse sucks at my house). What type of modem and router should I buy?
So I have WIFI, I am assume that that I have to buy a modem amd a router separately from each other. I have not done t his set up before so if there is a FAQ that would be great.

Having separate devices would be a really good idea if something happens and you need to troubleshoot or replace.

Modems: »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-Su···ola+6141

OR

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable···om+5341j

Either of these modems are the current 8x4 standard and will leave you good to go for a few years, depending on how fast you wanna go at the start.

Routers:

»www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band···=rt-n66u

I have the N66U and have absolutely no problem at shoving everything my 50/10 connection can push.

If you wanna go better, there is a newer model out there:

»www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-Ban···=rt-n66u

That should get you golden and you can just sit back and forget about things for a while.

If you feel like buying in store, Best Buy price matches and I got the 100 dollar Motorola 6141 for 46.29 after everything was over.

It pays to do your research, eh?

Also, for the two routers I listed, you might wanna look here too:

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···d-part-1

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forum···php?f=37
»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···p?t=6714
»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forum···php?f=40
»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forum···php?f=39
»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forum···php?f=42

Hope that helps you. And if you need any more help or have other Qs, feel free to come back anytime.

uscuba2001

@usg.com

It seems that everyone is pushing ASUS RT-N66U but how is Linksys EA4500

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:3

Linksys quality went down a lot of the years.

My Linksys likes to reboot randomly at times(EA6400).

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

reply to uscuba2001

said by uscuba2001 :

It seems that everyone is pushing ASUS RT-N66U but how is Linksys EA4500

It's my personal belief that Asus is the new Linksys, back when they were the recommended router to buy with the WRT54G series of routers.

After that, as Darknessfall says, things just went down from there. I would have stuck with Linksys if I wasn't around to see a ton of decisions made that changed my choice, from monkeying around with the firmware in recent years to only just decent hardware for the price you pay.

Hell, as a testament to Linksys legacy, people are still selling WRT54GLs when for most providers those routers are really showing their age and can't keep up with the speed anymore.

For example. With the Motorola 6141 and Asus RT-N66U I have, I get 65/11 off my 50/10 connection. If I were to try that with my old 54GL, the most I'd have gotten out of it was 33/11

For further proof, ask around and see what people think of Belkin, the proud new owner of the Linksys brand. Yeah, there's a ton of confidence there, right?