Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jblues

join:2001-04-28
Allen Park, MI

1 edit

[Content] Al Jazeera America Debut

I saw an article that Al Jazeera America starts broadcasting at 3pm ET tomorrow (Tuesday) in the location that Current TV is located.

Will Comcast continue to carry the channel? I heard Time Warner dropped the channel.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

Re: Al Jazeera America Debut

Hey ya man long time no see...

Anyway this was on last months bill....so I would say yes Comcast will carry it.
News from Comcast

Effective 8/24/2013, Current TV on ch. 107 will change its name to Al Jazzera America.

rej4sl

join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN
reply to jblues
Our guide has Al Jazeera America programing listed from 2PM CT tomorrow on 107 which was current t.v. So yup Comcast is carrying it here in the Twin Cities.
Expand your moderator at work

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to jblues

Finally, some actual international news instead of the "All Kardashian All The Time" and "Libruls sux" and "Teabaggers have boogers" crap from CNN/FOX/MSNBC and the rest. Getting some BBC, PBS and now AlJazeera will at least provide a broader scope to make an informed opinion.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

rej4sl

Minneapolis, MN
reply to jblues
Yup love tuning into BBC World, and Al Jazeera America is a nice alternative to see as well.
Expand your moderator at work

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jblues

The misinformation regarding Al Jazeera among the uninformed is really sad to see. But then again, it shows how certain classes of Americans feel about the Middle East.

The channel is anything but blatant propaganda, it's hard news. Some are suggesting a network that makes Fox News actually look fair and balanced.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

This!

I used to think it was a terrorist sponsored outlet too but I have opened my eyes.

They are closer to news than anything on the big US networks.

Blob
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

rej4sl

Minneapolis, MN
reply to jblues
The misinformation about Al Jazeera is the same misinformation that calls BBC a communist network. Seeing news from different points of view opens your eyes and lets you see what the rest of the world is already seeing. The main news networks in the US Fox, CNN, MSNBC are just fall of talking head and entertainment value. American need to see real new.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
al Jazeera in the middle east is different from al Jazeera in the us.

BrianMINN

@comcast.net
reply to jblues
Yes, it's being carried now, but you need to subscribe to the Digital Preferred package, which costs more than the Basic stuff.

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to jblues
Just checked Channel 107 in Colorado Springs, and indeed it's Al Jazeera America. Would like to see it in HD. Been following it on my Nexus 7 using Flipboard and find it to be very good. Take a look; you might be surprised.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rej4sl
+1

I am fortunate that I am able to watch news broadcasts from all the networks you mention, plus daily broadcasts from NHK (Japan) and DW Journal (Germany) are also carried on local PBS stations. (France and Poland news are also broadcast, but not in English.)

The various views of the same news story allows me to understand better what is really going on. I've also seen news stories from NHK that I have not seen elsewhere; having a source of news from the Far East is important nowadays.

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to fuziwuzi
It's actually quite good (watched a few segments already) and as you point out is a welcome relief from the Rightie and Leftie "entertainment" spin from CNN/Fox/MSNBC. People should actually watch and not presume anything based upon the middle-Eastern name. (Now if only BBC America would give us more news ..)

rej4sl

Minneapolis, MN
reply to jblues
It is good - you actually get to see news reports like on BBC World too. Instead of talking heads. Wish it was all rolling news but I can check the schedule easily enough to find a news bulletin.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
I'm watching their morning program right now as well. It's actually excellent news - not some BS crap with pop music, or concerts, or something else to make it more appealing...
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
reply to jblues
In our Comcast system, we get a lot of choice when it comes to news. Not just the usual CNN/Fox/MSNBC drivel.

We get CCTV, RT, Al-Jazerra International, NHK, Aririang (S. Kor) and occasionally some African television.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
reply to jblues
quote:
It won’t be carried by Time Warner Cable or Cablevision, although Verizon FiOS offers it in the tri-state area.
No TV for me.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to jblues
quote:
It won’t be carried by Time Warner Cable or Cablevision, although Verizon FiOS offers it in the tri-state area.
No TV for me.

Al Jazeera has blocked their live stream to the US of A.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcPTkg5VIAc

gwilliam

join:2010-03-20
reply to jblues
Are there any plans for an Al Jazeera America HD channel in the near future?

pmayo

join:2001-10-22
Port Saint Lucie, FL
reply to jblues
Just another biased station with a bunch of has been reporters. The station reports 16 hous per day and the remaining time (at night) is their normal Qatari based (and biased) English language news.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
Just saying but you don't have to watch it if you don't like it. There are a lot of stations I don't usually watch but occasionally when flipping through the guide or stations I find something I like and watch it on one of those stations.
Then again there are stations I used to watch all of the time that I hardly watch anymore because they aren't what they used to be.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to jblues
there goes the Al Jazeera network. Dam is there any news stations our government will actually allow to broadcast real news stories

SoJersySteve

join:2013-07-25
Mount Laurel, NJ
reply to jblues
I watched a couple of news shows over a few days and found that Ali Babba news is just as biased as Fox and Friends...

U.S. news was bland and without editorials (which I liked) BUT... when they switched to Middle East news, they had their reporters in "Palestine" interview some guy who blamed Israel for the atrocities in the West Bank AND Syria. Now, I saw the same story earlier that day on BBC America, and knew it was Hezbollah who fired rockets into Israel, not the other way around. However, you wouldn't know it from Al Jazzera. I guess Qatar is just as anti-Israel as all the other countries over there with more oil than people.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to jblues
I'm uncomfortable seeing this channel on our system and apparently a lot of advertisers fee the same way.

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
Don't watch it then, no more discomfort.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Acct101
said by Acct101:

I'm uncomfortable seeing this channel on our system and apparently a lot of advertisers fee the same way.

Yeah, I can understand your view. I don't necessarily agree with it, though.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with the amount I have to pay each month in order to pay for the sports networks that are forced upon me in the bundled packages. I am uncomfortable with my local news being pre-empted when the business of NFL football runs over its allotted time.

It is not that I do not like sports. It is that I do not like the required purchase of overly-commercialized "sports" (that are really corporate entities more than sports) that are prevalent on cable TV. (please note that I do understand that ESPN creates jobs in my state)

I think one channel of alternative viewpoints is worthwhile in light of the nearly dozen sports channels that I am required to pay for.

Kudo to Comcast for carrying this new news channel.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
espn probably creates thousands of jobs in Connecticut. Doesn't make it better that they charge your first born for carriage.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mikedz4:

espn probably creates thousands of jobs in Connecticut. Doesn't make it better that they charge your first born for carriage.

Agreement is abundant.