neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

[Tech] Flashability of Jeep JTEC/PCM

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ the 4.0 I6. I need a PCM. All of the local junkyard don't seem to have one. However, I have a friend of mine who has a JTEC out of a 97, but his has security on it, where mine does not.

Here's the question. Can this PCM be reflashed to my application, and can it be done on the bench? My JTEC reports a part # of 04886945 (as reported by my SnapOn MT-2500), but I think I remember seeing somewhere that this controller wasn't flashable. I don't have the part # for the 97 JTEC.

I can get a reman PCM from the parts place, but from what I have been reading, those things are a crap shoot.... Sometimes you get lucky. I don't have the money to buy a PCM from the dealer.

pmohr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

pmohr

Premium Member

FWIW when I swapped a 318 into my Dakota ('98, JTEC PCM, 3 plug) the Durango I got the PCM from had security enabled (my original didn't).

I disabled the immobilizer by replacing my CTM with a keyless entry/security optioned CTM (I used one out of a different Durango, so it doesn't have to be from the same vehicle), and permanently grounded the unlock wire. Not sure how different your GC would be in that regard.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I can ground a wire in the door to disable the alarm, but I would prefer not to.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ the 4.0 I6. I need a PCM.
[snip]
I can get a reman PCM from the parts place, but from what I have been reading, those things are a crap shoot.... Sometimes you get lucky. I don't have the money to buy a PCM from the dealer.

How is a Re-Manufactured PCM (that comes with a warranty) a crap shoot when it is actually better than a new PCM (with the same flaws yours currently has that show up with age). Logic will tell you that it is not a crap shoot. A crap shoot is getting a used PCM out of a junk yard or from the wrong year vehicle and trying to hack it to work.

You might even have the ability to fix the PCM yourself. How are your direction following skills?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 2r-rtvls

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I've seen that video over on Jeepforums.... And tried it... My connections on my regulator board are all solid.

From what I have read on Jeepforums, and from other sites, the reman'd PCMs are a gamble. People have bought them, installed them, and they are DOA. Granted they have a warranty, but that is more downtime, more hassles. Yeah a PCM from the junkyard is more of a gamble.

As for the flashability, I talked to a Jeep service dept. They have to be flashed in the vehicle, at least by the dealer. A repair depot may have a setup for flashing on the bench...