spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mrwood
join:2000-08-16
Wayne, NJ

mrwood

Assus RTN66-U as master and Netgear WNR834B as a repeater

I recently got a RTN66-U and the signal is great all over the house execpt the basement. Where I have a Samsung 6100 series smart TV. When I raised the power level to 100 on My RTN66-U I can connect buy the stream has hiccups. I have a WNR834B sitting around want to configure as a repeater. Once I configure the WNR834B as a repeater I lose the login page. I am wondering if there is a good step by step guide somebody could point me to.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

This should help you »Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Also be sure to remember what the new LAN IP of the AP/repeater is.
mrwood
Wayne, NJ

mrwood

Asus RTN66-U as master and Netgear WNR834B as a repeater

Thanks for the reply. I will try when I get home.
Two things I am confused about.
First I want to configure as a wireless access point which will only have wired clients attached to. In order for the routers to connect wirelessly to each other router instructions on the WNR834B implied they need to be on the same channel with same encryption and password. This guide states they should be on different channels.

Second when I configure the AP page on WNR834B I assign it an IP does this become the login server IP (changing the URL) for this router explaining why I had the issue connecting to it.

Mark

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by mrwood:

Second when I configure the AP page on WNR834B I assign it an IP does this become the login server IP (changing the URL) for this router explaining why I had the issue connecting to it.

More than likely, yes.
mrwood
Wayne, NJ

1 recommendation

mrwood

The two routers are failing to connect. I have successfully connected two WNR834B routers in the past I am failing here. Asus RTN66-U has bridge settings do I need to set anything here I order allow the WNR834B to connect as a client. I see a warning:The function only support [Open System/NONE, Open System/WEP] security authentication method. The WNR834B supported WPA-TKIP.

Another possibility is to increase the power setting on the router I upped from 80 to 100 and turned off the 5GHZ radio and saw improvement.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
mrwood

1 recommendation

mrwood

Hi All,

I read this in the FAQ:
Wireless Client Mode: A wireless client serves to wirelessly connect a LAN segment to another AP. The main AP is in access point mode, and the second AP is in client mode. The wireless client needs to have the same SSID, Channel, and Encryption settings as the main AP. The user may need to change the default IP to avoid IP conflicts. Wireless clients are often a proprietary solution, and may not work in a mixed brand, or even model, environment.

So I think that this topic can be closed.

Thanks,

Mark
switchman
join:1999-11-06
ARRIS SB6183
(Software) OPNsense

switchman to mrwood

to mrwood

Re: Assus RTN66-U as master and Netgear WNR834B as a repeater

I would try a couple of these vs wireless. »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33124500. You could also hang a wireless ap of of it in the basement if you need wireless there.