how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

[INTERNET] email being returned

I have tried to email a friend who is also on and in same area as us (Kingston). His messages come to me OK, but when I reply, I get a message saying message was undelivered:

Recipient address: @ms02.int.cogeco.net:353975@lmtpcs-daemon
Original address: xxxxxxx@cogeco.ca
Reason: transmission failure has occurred
Diagnostic code: ;550 4.2.2 Delivery failed: Over quota
Remote system: dns;ms02.int.cogeco.net (TCP|192.168.201.172|34096|192.168.201.181|225)

I tried this several times and always same or similar message.
Over Quota? We have only used 6% of our quota.

Anyone know what is going on?

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
If you get this when you send HIM an email, it's a problem on his side.

99.9% of times I've seen this problem, the person had his email client set to leave a copy of all emails on the server. Considering that Cogeco only gives 10mb space, it doesn't take very long for things to pile up.

Tell him to uncheck that option, do a Send/Receive, and the problem will go away.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Farchord:

If you get this when you send HIM an email, it's a problem on his side.

Yep, what you said. Sometimes people have their email clients or all their portable devices leaving email on the server and it works for ages... until they get enough emails or a large attachment that block the service from functioning.

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON
OK Thanks. That makes sense. I will give him a call in the morning.

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON
If he needs some of them left on his webmail, he can also set a number of days to save. I have mine set to delete after 30 days on the server. That way if I need to save something important I have 30 days to work within to move it over to my personal folder on the webmail site. Any emails I don't want get deleted 30 days from the date received. I do this in case I have to access my emails from a different computer than my home one that uses Outlook.
--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
reply to Dingaan
What's the mailbox size limit for Cogeco's mail servers these days?

Asawulf
Ignorance is bliss
VIP
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC
kudos:4

1 recommendation

100MB

edit : the 10MB that was mentionned is for the ftp (web site)

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON
reply to urbanriot
I just checked my Webmail on the web site and it says it is 100MB.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
reply to Asawulf
said by Asawulf:

100MB

edit : the 10MB that was mentionned is for the ftp (web site)

Sorry, my bad.

Asawulf
Ignorance is bliss
VIP
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC
kudos:4
Hehe no problem at all, I won't get into an argument over a 0 although I admit I'd like to see one added to the 100MB I mentionned

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by Asawulf:

I won't get into an argument over a 0 although I admit I'd like to see one added to the 100MB

No kidding. 100meg is so.... 1997.
By today's standards, 25 photos from a bad day at the Ex.

I'll spare the "never use an ISP email address" rant this go 'round.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by dillyhammer:

I'll spare the "never use an ISP email address" rant this go 'round.

That's a good idea since it would be bad advice depending on the usage model of the person in question. Everyone has different usage models, experiences and expectations, and some people are quite happy using Microsoft Outlook to pop their ISP email onto their computer while other people prefer leaving their email on a web based email provider's service.

Lately some people want to get off the Gmail / Hotmail services for privacy reasons...

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
urbanriot, it doesn't matter who's service for email you are on for "privacy" reasons. Even so called "encrypted" email services are NOT encrypted when sending from one address to another. And with the way the NSA is gathering the information (literally splitting the light signal in the fiber optic lines outside major players) they can still catch and read it.

If you want a good rundown on all this stuff, go check out Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast.

Also, using your ISP's email service (especially Cogeco's) since they are typically very limited and especially with services like Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo, etc being EASILY accessable anywhere. True that everyone has their preferences and usage habits, but in this day and age, 100MB of email storage is laughable and a waste of time.