share rss forum feed

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

Suggest Sci-fi Summer Readings to me

I got myself a new kindle so I may read more again.

I'm looking for suggestions within the sci-fi genre. Either space opera or sci-fi dramas or thrillers.

I prefer novels with well defined characters that concentrate on plot over form. I'm not big on high flowery prose like GRRM.

I'm open to series as well.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

In Conquest Born a stunning first novel.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord

The Light of Other Days by Stephen Baxter (based on an idea by Arthur C. Clarke).

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord

A couple of the top of my head...

»www.goodreads.com/series/43762-otherland
Otherland series: Sci-fi (with a lot of fantasy thrown in)
Pretty cool series about a virtual reality game.

»www.goodreads.com/series/44634-t···i-kovacs
Takeshi Kovacs series is one of my favourites. A bit of a mix between a thriller and a detective novel.

»www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=%E···+rifters
Peter Watts does some very dark sci-fi and he loves to use some unusual main characters (most of them are outcasts, psychopaths, sociopaths, and all other sort of crazies.) But this has been by far my favourite read in a long time. A lot of the story happens under the ocean.

»www.goodreads.com/book/show/48484.Blindsight
A book in the same universe as the Rifters series, but way into the future and it happens in space. And the style is pretty similar to the rifters series.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to TigerLord

An overlooked trilogy, first book Sword of the Lamb, Amazon reviews are right on. I've worn out my paperback version over the years and at $5/ebook, I'm getting that version. »www.goodreads.com/book/show/1228···amb?ac=1

Re: my post/recommendation above: just saw there's an audio (unabridged!) version that I just might have to get...
--

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Manville, NJ
reply to TigerLord

A couple for you by Hugh Howey...

Wool - get the omnibus
Shift - same
Dust - end book

Read in that order...nice story line and good characters.

»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_···ilo+saga

Nia

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to TigerLord

In Her Name series by Michael R. Hicks is quite good, I've just finished the prequels (The Last War trilogy) : First Contact, Legend of the Sword, and Dead Soul.
If you like those there's also the Redemption trilogy Empire, Confederation, and Final Battle. Lots of space/land battles with likeable characters and good stories.

There's also The Harvest Trilogy: Season of the Harvest, Bitter Harvest, and Reaping the Harvest, also by Hicks. (although Reaping is not out yet). More of a earth based/thriller type.

The first book in each series is free, so you can check 'em out risk free.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to TigerLord

Speaking of free, a lot of public libraries (even ones in Canada) offer ebooks and audiobooks for loan/free. Definitely worth checking into at your public library (or on their website).
--

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord

Another vote for the WOOL omnibus on Kindle. It's cheap, it's good, and there's additional series if you get hooked.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to TigerLord

I read this trilogy:
»www.goodreads.com/book/show/4332···of-earth

quote:
The first intelligent species to Earth attacked without warning, and only three colony ships escaped. 150 years later, planet Darien hosts humans at peace with indigenous scholarly Uvovo. Buried on the forest moon are secrets of an epic battle between ancient races. In a galactic war, what will Uvovo choose, when their nature is revealed, and the enemy comes?

I felt it was an ok trilogy, but not as good as John Ringo's series:
Posleen Wars.
Troy Rising [Interesting premise about Maple syrup in the 1st book]
Empire of Man

David Weber, the Honor Harrington series

David Drake, the Hammer's slammers series.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord

"Tales of the Star Wolf" by David Gerrold

What Star Trek [should] have been....!

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Seeing "Star Wolf" made me recall this omnibus: Star Wolf.

»www.amazon.com/Starwolf-Edmond-H···tar+wolf

quote:
"Starwolf" is actually a collection of three novels from the late 1960s: "The Weapon from Beyond," "The Closed Worlds," and "World of the Starwolves".

The Starwolves are Viking-like space pirates whose world's harsh gravity imparts to them a superhuman strength and musculature. Morgan Chane was almost one of them...though his family had come from earth. Finding himself an outcast after killing a fellow Starwolf in a feud over their plunder, Chane joins a band of tough interstellar mercenaries to survive. However, his troubles are not over--if any but Dilullo, the aging Merc in charge of the mercenary band, learns his secret, his life could be forfeit, for Starwolves are considered such a menace that they are usually shot on sight.

These books owe a lot to "Conan: The Barbarian," some to the pulp SF books of the 30s and 40s, and a bit to "The Stainless Steel Rat". Though somewhat derivative, they are nonetheless competantly and entertainingly written, with sufficiently interesting characterization, that they are well worth the time they take to read.

Quoted from a review which is spot on to what the book was like.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord

If you're up for a few extra daily emails, I can recommend a few blogs that send free/discounted books available on Amazon for Kindle.

Pixel of Ink
BookBub (this one you can specify what kind of genre you want)
eReaderNation

As far as space opera/sci-fi dramas, the husband has been hitting David Weber pretty hard. He just dropped about $30 on some Honor Harrington books.
--
Luffy, Zoro and Usopp: Chopper's a doctor?!?!
Nami: Why did you think we made Chopper join our crew?
Luffy: Seven Level transformation... Cool Reindeer...
Sanji: Emergency food supply...

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I've read one or two of those books. I need to get the earlier ones to see where it started.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to TigerLord

I just recalled this series:
The Clone Republic [not based in Star Wars].

The wiki gives a lot of spoilers, just for a heads up:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clone_Republic

»www.amazon.com/The-Clone-Republi···41013937
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

An overlooked trilogy, first book Sword of the Lamb, Amazon reviews are right on.

This trilogy "The Phoenix Legacy" (Sword of the Lamb, Shadow of the Swan, and House of Wolf, by M.K. Wren) is available in ebook format for $5/each, DRM-free from the ebook publisher: »www.scribd.com/tag/the%20phoenix%20legacy
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mareastrum

said by mareastrum:

As far as space opera/sci-fi dramas, the husband has been hitting David Weber pretty hard. ...

One of my favorite space opera novels was written by Weber and Steve White, I read it at least once a year. It's called In Death Ground.
Also read at least once a year is a David Drake novel called Redliners which can be downloaded for free, in different formats, here: »www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-libr···lterID=0
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to TigerLord

You might also want to try out Nexus.

quote:
In the near future, the experimental nano-drug Nexus can link humans together, mind to mind. There are some who want to improve it. There are some who want to eradicate it. And there are others who just want to exploit it.

When a young scientist is caught improving Nexus, he's thrust over his head into a world of danger and international espionage - for there is far more at stake than anyone realizes.
I really enjoyed it. I think his follow up just came out this week.

»www.amazon.com/Nexus-ebook/dp/B0···ds=Nexus