Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to AMDdude

Premium Member

to AMDdude

Re: [INTERNET] Pro Cable vs Pro FTTN?

In all honesty, there probably wouldn't be much of a difference. Some people experience peak-time slowdowns on cable, but that is by no means universal - and just the same people in the past have experienced these kind of slowdowns on FTTN, too. (though I haven't heard of that happening for years) If it were me, I'd go with the FTTN option for no reason other than it being 5Mbit/s faster for the same price.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Gone:

In all honesty, there probably wouldn't be much of a difference. Some people experience peak-time slowdowns on cable, but that is by no means universal - and just the same people in the past have experienced these kind of slowdowns on FTTN, too. (though I haven't heard of that happening for years) If it were me, I'd go with the FTTN option for no reason other than it being 5Mbit/s faster for the same price.

FTTN congestion does occur... I had congetsion on 25meg plan for almost a year, where it would max out at 15-20meg in peak hours... not horrible, and there was no packet loss, but it was still slower than it should have been...

I had it checked out and the FTTN remote only had 1xGigE feed out of a possible 2. This also feeds FibeTV and I'm sure that was prioritized over internet users. I noticed around January this year that I could max out no problem at peak hours, and then i had it confirmed that the remote now has 2xGigE feeds. I am now on 50meg and can max out any time of day.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by HiVolt:

FTTN congestion does occur... I had congetsion on 25meg plan for almost a year, where it would max out at 15-20meg in peak hours... not horrible, and there was no packet loss, but it was still slower than it should have been...

I had it checked out and the FTTN remote only had 1xGigE feed out of a possible 2. This also feeds FibeTV and I'm sure that was prioritized over internet users. I noticed around January this year that I could max out no problem at peak hours, and then i had it confirmed that the remote now has 2xGigE feeds. I am now on 50meg and can max out any time of day.

was this on TSI about 8 months ago? They had congestion but it wasn't remote/node related but their capacity with Bell.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by jmck:

was this on TSI about 8 months ago? They had congestion but it wasn't remote/node related but their capacity with Bell.

Yeah it's on TSI, it was from March 2012 to January 2013 for me... TSI did have some capacity issues at some point as well, but i did tests with Bell and Primus logins and i had the same speed issues. So my area was FTTN congestion related, in addition to whatever AGAS capacity TSI may have had.