share rss forum feed

djbrettb0

join:2008-07-09
West Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit

FXX?

FX will be branching off a sister channel called FXX on Sept 4th, where shows such as "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "Louie" will be moved beginning that date. From what I've read, they are simply discontinuing their Fox Soccer channel and rebranding it as FXX, so for Mediacom it would be as simple as moving that channel out of the Sports package and into the Family Cable package.

Does anyone know if we will have this channel on launch date? I'd really like to be able to watch the Always Sunny season premiere.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
The channel should be available on launch date. The sports package does also contain other channels not related to sports. At this time I am unaware of whether the channel will be removed from that package or not.

Bierboy

join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to djbrettb0
said by djbrettb0:

FX will be branching off a sister channel called FXX on Sept 4th, where shows such as "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "Louie" will be moved beginning that date. From what I've read, they are simply discontinuing their Fox Soccer channel and rebranding it as FXX, so for Mediacom it would be as simple as moving that channel out of the Sports package and into the Family Cable package.

Does anyone know if we will have this channel on launch date? I'd really like to be able to watch the Always Sunny season premiere.

Nothing is that simple....unfortunately. From this channel lineup on Mediacom's Web site (effective Sept. 2), it appears we, in the Quad Cities, are getting screwed. FXX will be in the "Sports and Information" tier which costs extra. Really sucks....I love "The League"...but I'm not paying extra to get it.

»www.mediacomtoday-lineup.com/lin···y_c.aspx

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN
reply to djbrettb0
Knowing Mediacom's history, I'm sure most, if not all of us will have to subscribe to the sports tier to get FXX.

djbrettb0

West Des Moines, IA
reply to MediacomChad
Wait... seriously? Does Mediacom not realize that FXX is not a sports channel at all?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
The package name as listed above by Bierboy is "Sports and Information" that digital tier contains more than just sports channels and always has. However, at this time I do not have knowledge whether it will be moved out of it or not.

djbrettb0

West Des Moines, IA
But it's neither sports nor information. FXX is a purely comedy/entertainment channel.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by djbrettb0:

But it's neither sports nor information. FXX is a purely comedy/entertainment channel.

Excellent point....it makes no sense for it to be in a "premium-sports & information" tier...except to Mediacom so they can theoretically make more money.

djbrettb0

West Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
If I were a producer or anyone else invested in shows like "Always Sunny" or "Louie", I'd be pissed. This is going to be a ratings nightmare. Way to screw over people who are already fans of these shows, Mediacom.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that FX doesn't have some kind of requirement that these channels are carried in the same package, as they're basically sister channels. It's no different than TBS/TNT. Just makes logical sense to put them next to each other.

Barnstormer

join:2007-12-12
Waverly, IA
Better solution would be for FX not to make yet another stupid channel. How many Two and a Half Men and How I Met Your Mother reruns do we need in a day anyway?

said by djbrettb0:

If I were a producer or anyone else invested in shows like "Always Sunny" or "Louie", I'd be pissed. This is going to be a ratings nightmare. Way to screw over people who are already fans of these shows, Mediacom.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that FX doesn't have some kind of requirement that these channels are carried in the same package, as they're basically sister channels. It's no different than TBS/TNT. Just makes logical sense to put them next to each other.

desti

@qwest.net
The official website lists FXX as a basic cable network; paying premium rates for something that should be in a basic package is ridiculous.

djbrettb0

West Des Moines, IA
Indeed. Can we please get an official explanation from Mediacom on why they are putting a basic cable channel in a premium package? This needs to be fixed.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to desti
said by desti :

The official website lists FXX as a basic cable network; paying premium rates for something that should be in a basic package is ridiculous.

Whose official Web site? FX or Mediacom?

And, either way, I agree...

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
At this time I cannot find information as to whether this will be in family cable or in a premium package. Once I do get more information I will be happy to post it here.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by MediacomChad:

At this time I cannot find information as to whether this will be in family cable or in a premium package. Once I do get more information I will be happy to post it here.

Chad - As I posted earlier in this thread, I think this confirms what it will be here in the Quad Cities....premium....and it sucks.

»www.mediacomtoday-lineup.com/lin···y_c.aspx

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

Walkerton, IN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Comfirmed on "Sports & Information" on our lineup as well. Maybe we need to let FX know that Mediacom is not putting them on the same tier as FX. I'm sure they'll really appreciate the loss in ratings and advertising revenue.

»www.mediacomtoday-lineup.com/lin···lle.aspx

djbrettb0

West Des Moines, IA
I have no problem voicing my concerns to FX in order to get this resolved.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I haven't seen the channel show up on the list for changes coming up yet. Usually that's where I get the info. It's possible that just because FXX is replacing Fox Soccer it was put in that way on the channel listing. I'll keep looking around and once I get a definitive answer I'll let you know.

desti

@qwest.net
reply to Bierboy
@Bierboy

The FXX website:

»www.getfxx.com/

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
reply to djbrettb0
To move FXX to the Extended Basic tier (i.e., Family TV) could possibly mean yet another increase to that package's cost. I'd rather say enough is enough and prefer it stay as an extra premium channel somehow. The Family package is already too bloody expensive for the average TV subscriber. Channel providers can't keep expecting their new channels be available to everyone by requirement.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

2 edits
reply to desti
said by desti :

@Bierboy

The FXX website:

»www.getfxx.com/

Yeah that shows ch 401 which is SD and still in a premium tier (Sports and Information). It doesn't even list the HD channel. Unfortunately they don't list anything about contacting them to lobby for inclusion on a cableco's basic package. But I see your point about them listing it as a basic cable channel -- "FXX is the new basic cable entertainment network launching on September 2, 2013." -- Is Mediacom reading that?!

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to k9iua6
said by k9iua6:

To move FXX to the Extended Basic tier (i.e., Family TV) could possibly mean yet another increase to that package's cost. I'd rather say enough is enough and prefer it stay as an extra premium channel somehow. The Family package is already too bloody expensive for the average TV subscriber. Channel providers can't keep expecting their new channels be available to everyone by requirement.

Oh baloney....they'll increase rates if they want to whether or not FXX is on the Family or Premium tiers. It makes no difference.

djbrettb0

West Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to djbrettb0
Alright, so, Always Sunny premieres tomorrow. Is Mediacom going to do the right thing and put FXX (a completely non-sports channel!) in the HD Family TV package? Or will I have to switch to DirecTV? DirecTV offers FXX in the Choice Extra package (about the same as I'm paying for Mediacom). Please let me know so I can make the right decision.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Unfortunately, there are no plans at this time to move any of the new additions/ changes that have been made recently.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by MediacomChad:

Unfortunately, there are no plans at this time to move any of the new additions/ changes that have been made recently.

As much as I hate this news, I appreciate you sharing it with us, Chad.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

Walkerton, IN
reply to djbrettb0
This stinks. Guess we can get as pissed as we want, rant and rave, but we already know that Mediacom does not care one bit. And people wonder why piracy is so rampant.

Chalk up another one for the "Should I Cancel" column.

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
I don't think it's exactly angelic of Fox, either, to just decide a new channel should be considered basic cable and then move their best shows to it within a week of its launch.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by jpatton:

I don't think it's exactly angelic of Fox, either, to just decide a new channel should be considered basic cable and then move their best shows to it within a week of its launch.

What does that mean? "Best shows"? "Within a week"? It's been clear from the beginning that "The League" and "Always Sunny..." would be on FXX; it wasn't a last minute decision at Fox by any stretch of the imagination. This has been months in the planning by Fox (if not longer). I think this sucks, but I lay it all at the feet of Mediacom.

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
said by Bierboy:

It's been clear from the beginning that "The League" and "Always Sunny..." would be on FXX; it wasn't a last minute decision at Fox by any stretch of the imagination. This has been months in the planning by Fox (if not longer).

This is fair enough (I didn't know much about the backstory behind FXX other than Soccer went kaput), but I still see it as Fox claiming that a channel should be basic cable (through words AND content) and then expecting the cable cos to either create space on their basic lineups and instantly funnel more money their way, or they shall face the wrath of customers, like this thread has shown. Just to be clear, depending on the expense (which of course we can argue about whether we're really paying for increased subscriber fees or to merely line CEOs' pockets), I would like to see FXX put on family cable. But I also think it's a little lame for Fox to expand by taking a premium sports cable channel and rebranding it to make a basic cable channel. There was bound to be push back.

Bierboy

East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by jpatton:

said by Bierboy:

It's been clear from the beginning that "The League" and "Always Sunny..." would be on FXX; it wasn't a last minute decision at Fox by any stretch of the imagination. This has been months in the planning by Fox (if not longer).

This is fair enough (I didn't know much about the backstory behind FXX other than Soccer went kaput), but I still see it as Fox claiming that a channel should be basic cable (through words AND content) and then expecting the cable cos to either create space on their basic lineups and instantly funnel more money their way, or they shall face the wrath of customers, like this thread has shown. Just to be clear, depending on the expense (which of course we can argue about whether we're really paying for increased subscriber fees or to merely line CEOs' pockets), I would like to see FXX put on family cable. But I also think it's a little lame for Fox to expand by taking a premium sports cable channel and rebranding it to make a basic cable channel. There was bound to be push back.

Yes, I see what you're saying and agree with that last statement. I know on the FXX Web site they labeled it a "basic cable" channel, but it's anything BUT that (at least in the eyes of Mediacom). To me, it just looks like a money-grabbing effort by the cable companies when they get a "new" channel like this (not really new since it's same but re-named) then drop it into a premium tier...