Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 recommendation

Computer destroyed to squelch NSA stories, Guardian says

In a blog post describing "one of the more bizarre moments in the Guardian's long history," editor Alan Rusbridger recounted how British government agents destroyed a computer containing information provided by National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden.
GCHQ security experts overseeing the destruction of hard drives in the Guardian's basement just to make sure there was nothing in the mangled bits of metal which could possibly be of any interest to passing Chinese agents.

»news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57599···an-says/

Wow you couldn't make this stuff up!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
I hope they have off-site secure backups.

Of course the US denies any involvement in this. "We know nothing!".
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
It was a Macbook, so maybe it's all on iCloud.

Make of that what you will.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

AnonyPeaker

@qwest.net
reply to Cartel
Another reason I am beginning to hate US government. I lost all my personal data in the whole lavabit fiasco now hearing this makes me think NSA has gone beyond what they should be allowed to do. More talks about China, but China isn't the one spying on everyone and got caught!

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
said by AnonyPeaker :

...More talks about China, but China isn't the one spying on everyone and got caught!

It's called projection...
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Cartel
It's all about intimidation of the media by officialdom, not about whether the computer actually contained the demanded data nor whether Glenn Greenwald actually was involved in "terrorism". For too long, the ordinary media has under-reported the abuses of the 3-letter world... now that their stories are starting to zero in on those abuses, the powers-that-be are yanking hard on the leash. Methinks this is only going to intensify...
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by Blackbird:

...the powers-that-be are yanking hard on the leash.

+1

said by Blackbird:

Methinks this is only going to intensify...

+2

Of course the Brits don't have a 1st Amendment (not that it'd matter much) so their gummint can pretty much do what it wants.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

On the other hand, it still seems to have functioning journalism.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
+1

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 recommendation

reply to Cartel
NSA paid millions to cover Prism compliance costs for tech companies

• Top-secret files show first evidence of financial relationship
• Prism companies include Google and Yahoo, says NSA
• Costs were incurred after 2011 Fisa court ruling

»www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a···ies-paid

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
So, what is with Google still claiming they have never joined Prism even though it is right there in the declassified NSA documents? And Microsoft's belated statement is also very puzzling and appears to contradict what the documents state. Both companies continue to state that they are being muzzled by our government. I know Google has sued over this issue but Microsoft hasn't. Both companies should just speak out and tell their side of it and release the statistics, etc on what NSA has collected.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit
said by Mele20:

So, what is with Google still claiming they have never joined Prism even though it is right there in the declassified NSA documents?

It could be multiple reasons. It could be that only a few within Google actually know and can't tell the truth. Or they could simply be lying to protect their business.

To my knowledge no-one has claimed that Snowden's leaked NSA documents are fake.

In short we have leaked documents that say what is going on and denials from some companies.

No-one, at this point. can know for sure 100% as all this stuff is Top Secret. That said I know which I believe. Others believe it's all FUD. Each to their own.
--

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

So, what is with Google still claiming they have never joined Prism even though it is right there in the declassified NSA documents?

It could be multiple reasons. It could be that only a few within Google actually know and can't tell the truth. Or they could simply be lying to protect their business.

Assuming your referring to what was published in the link posted by Cartel See Profile

1. Which of the Snowden released documents state that Google/Gmail is fully transitioned into Prism?

said by StuartMW:

To my knowledge no-one has claimed that Snowden's leaked NSA documents are fake.

That's my knowledge too.
Who besides you has brought up that possibility & why raise that question at all?

said by StuartMW:

In short we have leaked documents that say what is going on and denials from some companies.

This is an obvious reference to your claim that Google is fully transitioned into Prism along with Google's denial of same.
2. Which of Snowden's released documents make that claim?

said by StuartMW:

No-one, at this point. can know for sure 100% as all this stuff is Top Secret.
That said I know which I believe. Others believe it's all FUD. Each to their own.

You're saying you believe Google is fully transitioned into Prism because Snowden's released documents say so.
3. But which Snowden document(s) are you referring to?

The link
clearly states,
"An earlier newsletter, which is undated, states that the Prism providers were all given new certifications within days of the Fisa court ruling.
"All Prism providers, except Yahoo and Google,
were successfully transitioned to the new certifications. We expect Yahoo and Google to complete transitioning by Friday 6 October."

That's a direct quote from the Snowden documents that we both agree are genuine.
4. Which Snowden released document states Google is fully transitioned into Prism?

btw
said by StuartMW:

That said I know which I believe. Others believe it's all FUD. Each to their own.

No, it's not a matter of believing everything one reads or believing none of it.
There's a middle ground where the truth is often found.

Having been a vocal critic of certain Gmail policies I'm not comfortable in the role of Gmail defender but I do believe in fairness & honesty, even when dealing with the likes of Google.