@scansafe.net

gbarb

Anon

Grandma's RCA Victor (Victrola)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm have my grandma's old floor model RCA Victor stereo/record player. As you can see from the pictures it has some water damage from being in an old garage. I'm trying to find out what it's worth. I would also like to know if I can get parts anywhere to fix it. It will turn on but the volume knob is real sensitive. The knob to change the channel sticks and wont move. Any information on this model would be great. As you can see in the pictures it is a: VICTROLA RCA VICTOR Model VJT40L.

Please help if you can.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 edit

TheMG

Premium Member

said by gbarb :

I'm trying to find out what it's worth.

In its current condition, I don't think it's worth much. Once restored, maybe a few hundred, IF you can find the right buyer, which could be a challenge.

Those water stains might be a death sentence though if it actually soaked into the wood. If that's the case I don't think there's much that can be done, besides painting it (as opposed to stain or varnish, through which the stain will show).
said by gbarb :

It will turn on but the volume knob is real sensitive.

Potentiometers will need to be cleaned. Cleaning products exist specifically for this purpose. Often called contact cleaner, tuner control cleaner, etc. You should be able to find some at Radio Shack or most other electronics parts/supply stores.
said by gbarb :

The knob to change the channel sticks and wont move.

More than likely the grease/lubricant in the knob and the rest of the mechanism had turned to sticky gunk. Very common problem with things that old.

Turntable mechanism will likely also need to be cleaned and re-lubricated.

Capacitors may need to be replaced.

It's all (mostly) fixable with minimal expense, but you'll definitely need to put several hours work into it.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

The cabinet in something that "new" most likely has veneer over some cheaper wood. If the you can't clean the stains off, then you can always replace the veneer.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

1 recommendation

iknow_t to gbarb

to gbarb
here's a guy with the same model, wondering the same thing. »www.antiqueradios.com/fo ··· t=129092 the replies say since it's made in the late 60's it's only worth about $10 to $20 IF you can find a buyer..
neonturbo
join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI

1 recommendation

neonturbo to gbarb

to gbarb
A few years ago my Aunt thew away a mint condition Victrola very similar to this because she couldn't even give it away. At this point there is probably more nostalgic value than actual value in one of these.

I actually like old electronics, but I am not sure that particular unit is the one I would try to restore especially since I have seen many nicer ones that don't need any work for cheap, if not free.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to gbarb

Premium Member

to gbarb
I had one restored very similar to this one. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who still does these. They are not old enough for most people (not tube).

You can probably get the parts on ebay fairly easily. That is where many radio parts end up.

hurfy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

hurfy to neonturbo

Premium Member

to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

A few years ago my Aunt thew away a mint condition Victrola very similar to this because she couldn't even give it away. At this point there is probably more nostalgic value than actual value in one of these.

I actually like old electronics, but I am not sure that particular unit is the one I would try to restore especially since I have seen many nicer ones that don't need any work for cheap, if not free.

Spot on.

My parents didn't have a scratch on it, looked 10x more impressive than that one.... and still got tossed a few years ago
With the damage on top AND on the front probably not the best choice to restore. Especially since you asked about value...not enough would be the answer

A bad rubber belt (or similar) on the tuner, and the touchy volume control (prob all controls) needing cleaning are a given on these. Hopefully not a rubber wheel that turned completely back to goe like my vintage projector

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to gbarb

Premium Member

to gbarb
My grandmother had the same type of radio