how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ChicagoChris

@heitmanfinancial.de

2 edits

[TiVo] Roamio - Chicago

I just read about the new Tivo Roamio and wanted to know if RCN has any plans on eventually offering this instead of or in addition to the Premiere. It sounds like in the future you will be able to stream to your device while away from the home, which I assume will only work on the Roamio and not the Premiere/Stream combo.

Jason - can you provide any insight to whether this is being considered at RCN? If so, would Netflix still not be included?

I'm thinking that the Roamio might be a compelling option to switch back away from the RCN Tivo, depending on if they can display On Demand, which I couldn't find anywhere.

hytekj

join:2001-02-05
New York, NY

Re: (TiVO) Roamio - Chicago

Looks awesome if they would also make an app for Android and PC.

leddith

join:2012-07-31
Allentown, PA
reply to ChicagoChris
I wrote RCN about numerous things lately, (New Tivo, FXX, Fox Sports 1, IPv6) and it seems the answer always is "At this time we don't have any updates on this" it seems they don't know anything about it until the day before it launches.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA
kudos:11

1 recommendation

We have them in the lab. The MSO version has not been released. Only retail. We are looking at next generation STB solutions between TiVo / PACE and are working on formulating a position and plan. Again, the MSO version has not been released..
--
Jason Nealis,
V.P. Engineering and Operations

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA
Also , The Cable version is called the T6.. so as we discuss this I'll be referring to it as the T6..

And no it's not the pending next Terminator model
--
Jason Nealis,

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to rcnman
An article to read

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···s/145036
quote:
By: Jeff Baumgartner Aug 19 2013
RCN, one of TiVo's pay TV partners, is testing both the TiVo/Pace and next-gen TiVo boxes in the lab, Jason Nealis, RCN's vice president of engineering, told Multichannel News via email. He said the new class of device, with six tuners, a larger hard drive and built-in transcoding, will present a more expensive starting point. Nealis said packaging and pricing are among the items RCN is evaluating with respect to a next-gen product.
Mod note: Edited to add source.
Please see: »Site FAQ »Quoting and Attribution

machpost

join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC
reply to ChicagoChris

Re: [TiVo] Roamio - Chicago

Does the Preview work with the next-gen boxes for multi-room streaming, or just the Mini?

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA
All Legacy premieres will work with the next gen...
--
Jason Nealis,

hytekj

New York, NY
reply to ChicagoChris
The way I've been reading everything, the existing stream product will be able to stream outside of the home eventually. That is exciting so long as they build an Android and PC app.

machpost

Washington, DC
said by hytekj:

The way I've been reading everything, the existing stream product will be able to stream outside of the home eventually.

That is VERY exciting. I've been wishing for Slingbox-like functionality for the TiVo for a long time, but I would imagine that there are some enormous, possibly insurmountable hurdles for cable provider-issued TiVos to overcome, if they are ever to offer this sort of functionality. We're already denied a lot of services on the TiVo, like Hulu Plus, Netflix, MLB.tv, Spotify, etc. I can't imagine how complicated it must be.

hytekj

New York, NY
I guess the question is RCN going to block the stream/and or specific outside-of-the-home functionality of the stream when Tivo updates the software to allow it?

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA
reply to machpost
You couldn't have summed it up better. and remember we are NOT against any of these..

BTW Spotify is moving forward nicely...
--
Jason Nealis,

hjdiet

join:2004-02-12
Bethlehem, PA
reply to ChicagoChris
So... If I buy a retail Tivo Roamio and pair up a RCN cablecard - that would be supported?

hytekj

New York, NY
said by hjdiet:

So... If I buy a retail Tivo Roamio and pair up a RCN cablecard - that would be supported?

Or what about a RCN Tivo Quad + retail stream?

ChicagoChris

@heitmanfinancial.de
I have an RCN Quad (Premiere) and a retail Stream, and they work great together. I had some issues with my first Stream, but after sending it back and getting a new one, everything is great.

hytekj

New York, NY
said by ChicagoChris :

I have an RCN Quad (Premiere) and a retail Stream, and they work great together. I had some issues with my first Stream, but after sending it back and getting a new one, everything is great.

I'm specifically curious if the external stream function will work...

robgraves

join:2010-07-23
Chicago, IL
It is designed to, that is if RCN doesn't have to lock it down for some reason. I assume the copyrighted material would still be enforced as well.

ChicagoChris

@heitmanfinancial.de
If it is just streaming and not downloading, I could see them not enforcing the copyright protection. When you stream to the ipad when connected to your own wifi network, you can stream everything. It's only when you download that the copyright protection comes into play. Hopefully you would be able to stream everything.

But the real question, as was mentioned, is whether that feature will be available on retail Stream units at all!

lart

join:2002-08-19
united state
reply to hjdiet
said by hjdiet:

The down sides with a retail tivo is you don't get VOD and you need to pay for a cable card + the tivo service. At the same time the rcn tivo does not have a few of the apps for various reasons but that's not a big deal for me because that's what my ps3 is for.

last I looked owning your own would be 14.99(tivo)+1.50(cable card)/month in addition to the cost of buying the tivo. You can cut back the monthly cost of a tivo by paying the service as a lump sum of $499.99.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA
reply to hjdiet
Yes of course.. But it's a lot of $

robgraves

join:2010-07-23
Chicago, IL
reply to ChicagoChris
TiVo"s fine print on the out-of-home streaming feature notes that "[d]ue to content provider restrictions, not all content can be streamed out of home' while other content will only be accessible from a mobile device that"s on the same local network as the subscriber"s DVR.

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···s/145036

machpost

Washington, DC
reply to ChicagoChris
So, any news as to whether or not RCN will offer the T6?

New Tron

@rcn.com
I spoke to tech support to find out of the Mcard cable card would support 6 tuners. They said that RCN would NOT be proving an MSO version on the Roameo (T6) box. She seemed very adamant on that point. And it does appear that the RCN Motorola Mcard will support 6 tuners.

machpost

Washington, DC
said by New Tron :

They said that RCN would NOT be proving an MSO version on the Roameo (T6) box. She seemed very adamant on that point.

That may very well be true, but from my experience on asking questions about future products or channels, if you call five times, you'll get five different answers from customer support.