Search similar:

uniqs

TilhasBB
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

[TV] Can I order FibeTV on a different phone line than internet?

My house had 3 phonelines and now has been reduced to two. Until recently one was Bell Fibe 15/10 and other was Teksavvy 7/1. The technician ran two separate wires to my house so the two Internets do not interfere and I've never had a problem.

I would like to know if it is possible to order Bell FibeTV on my 2nd phone line. I've called Bell and they said its up to the technitian and they can't specify on the order where it gets installed just the address...?!?!

joeybee
Joey
Premium Member
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON

joeybee

Premium Member

Re: [TV] Can I order FibeTV on a different phone line than inter

I'm assuming it would have to be on the Fibe line.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to TilhasBB

Premium Member

to TilhasBB
You will only be able to order Fibe TV on the line that has Bell Fibe Internet, the technician has no say in the matter and will follow the ticket.

TilhasBB
Premium Member
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

Is there anyway I could have them install it on my 2nd line?

What if I order Fibe 5/1 (or Fibe 15/10) with FibeTV on my 2nd line then cancel the Fibe Internet after 1-2 months?
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to TilhasBB

to TilhasBB
Why would you do that, why not have everything on one line ? Unless you're looking for the zero rate internet ?

TilhasBB
Premium Member
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

I'll let the cat out of the Box.
Ever since I've gotten Fibe Internet my line has been sycned at 25/10 while I'm paying for 15/10. If I get FibeTV I'll get put down to 15/10... I'd rather keep my speed.

Plus right now the modem is next to my server in the electric room and at the demarc point (in the basement). If I get FibeTV and they use the current modem, the Wireless Router for the wireless TV the signal will never reach the upstairs bedrooms. Heck barely any signal on the first floor. I don't want to have my server connected Wifi, i like it hardwired and stable.
So they would force me to move the modem upstairs or drill holes to get a coaxial into my house.... While I have a Cat5E from the demarc to upstairs bedroom where I had my 2nd line internet. I wouldn't want my modem moved up there either because my sever and NAS server won't be connected directly to the modem but via an ethernet cable and switch...

Best solution is to have TWO modems one for tv and one for internet.

jappy
join:2011-10-23
Quebec, QC

jappy to TilhasBB

to TilhasBB
fibeTV run on FTTH , the optic fiber is install beside your two cooper line

so it doesnt care about first or second line ... you may have to move your phone on fibe if they decide to ...

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by jappy:

fibeTV run on FTTH , the optic fiber is install beside your two cooper line

so it doesnt care about first or second line ... you may have to move your phone on fibe if they decide to ...

Fibe TV does not exclusively ran on FTTH, it runs on both copper (FTTN) and FTTH networks.
JC_

JC_ to TilhasBB

Premium Member

to TilhasBB
said by TilhasBB:

I'll let the cat out of the Box.
Ever since I've gotten Fibe Internet my line has been sycned at 25/10 while I'm paying for 15/10. If I get FibeTV I'll get put down to 15/10... I'd rather keep my speed.

Plus right now the modem is next to my server in the electric room and at the demarc point (in the basement). If I get FibeTV and they use the current modem, the Wireless Router for the wireless TV the signal will never reach the upstairs bedrooms. Heck barely any signal on the first floor. I don't want to have my server connected Wifi, i like it hardwired and stable.
So they would force me to move the modem upstairs or drill holes to get a coaxial into my house.... While I have a Cat5E from the demarc to upstairs bedroom where I had my 2nd line internet. I wouldn't want my modem moved up there either because my sever and NAS server won't be connected directly to the modem but via an ethernet cable and switch...

Best solution is to have TWO modems one for tv and one for internet.

Do already have coax running to each of your TVs? If so yo don't need to get wireless boxes as we still carry the wired STB.

The wireless STBs use a separate wireless access point so since you already have cat5 going upstairs the wireless access point can go upstairs.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to TilhasBB

to TilhasBB
You are mistaken. If you get fibeTV, you'll most likely get provisioned to ~ 35 / 10 , allowing you to record 3 x 6mbit HD streams plus one SD stream at 2mbits, while maintaining a 15/10 internet connection.

Here's the math:

15mbits internet
6 mbits HD stream #1
6mbits HD stream #2
6mbits HD stream #3
2mbits SD stream

= 35Mbits download speed.

Technically, bell should not allow you to use the excess speed when your TV's aren't working, but they do, lol.

Since I don't record much, I take it for granted that connection runs at 29/10 at any point in time (which it does).

When my modem reboots I've seen it occasionally operate at 15/10, but as soon as I use my television for a few minutes I can immediately download at 29/10 for weeks at a time.

When the TV is off you get the full 35mbit, which is more like 33mbit because of Sagemcrap's limitations.

TilhasBB
Premium Member
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

I think they fixed that issue a while ago, »[Internet] Speed doesn't increase when Fibe TV is off?
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

Well maybe I'm just lucky. I'm on stinger or whatever the lesser stable equipment is, if that makes any difference.its the reason I'm sticking to fibetv.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to Cloneman

Premium Member

to Cloneman
> If you get fibeTV, you'll most likely get provisioned to ~ 35 / 10

Why is so much channel-capacity allocated to uploading? Isin't that wasted in the vast majority of use-cases? Why not shift the ratio to be more in favor of the download direction?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by sm5w2:

Why is so much channel-capacity allocated to uploading? Isin't that wasted in the vast majority of use-cases? Why not shift the ratio to be more in favor of the download direction?

I can't speak regarding the technical aspects, but from a marketing aspect it allows them to one up Rogers. Also a while back, Bell claimed in their marketing that they had the fastest speeds in Ontario and then they put a disclaimer in the fine print stating that they were simply referring to the upstream.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

There's no such ratio in play when it comes to determining the speeds on downstream and upstream. You're implying (for example on 35/10) that there's some global cap on speed at 45Mbps and it has to be split between the two streams. That's not the case. Decreasing the upload doesn't allow the download to be increase.

They physically operate in different frequency bands. What determines speeds on either stream is frequency allocated, modulation and encapsulation. Why do you think ADSL~ADSL2+ was stuck at 800kbps~1Mbps for so long despite the downlooad kept increasing to 24Mbps?

The ratio of frequency allocated to download compared to upload on either DSL or Cable as always been heavily tilted to download.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

1 edit

sm5w2

Premium Member

> There's no such ratio in play when it comes to determining the speeds on downstream and upstream.

I thought that there is a finite number of tones that you can have on a line, and that you have to allocate some of them in a ratio for downloading vs uploading - meaning that some that are used for uploading could be re-assigned for downloading, thereby increasing the data-rate in the download direction.

>The ratio of frequency allocated to download compared to upload on either DSL
> or Cable has always been heavily tilted to download.

I wouldn't call a ratio of 35:10 to be "heavily" in favor of downloading. Look at my profile (7040:800) - that ratio favors downloading more than twice as much as 35:10 does.

TilhasBB
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

TilhasBB

Premium Member

Bell is Ridiculous...

I decided to get FibeTV.
I called the agent and they said they can't have the Student Plan Fibe Internet 15/10 with 325G and FibeTV on the same line so they told me NO PROBLEM, you have a second line can we connect it there..... PERFECT!

2 Days later, I get an email from Bell with modification.
They put the FibeTV on my main line and kicked me off the student internet and put me on the regular plan with 75G.

?!?!@!? How can someone do this without my authorization?

I'm on the phone now trying to resolve this.... What a joke...
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

The student plan doesn't apply to tv customers, and if you were to order fibe tv on a second line to keep the student internet usage you'd have to order a second internet line as well, you're better off paying the 10 bucks/month for unlimited usage...

TilhasBB
Premium Member
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

What bothered me is that they ignored the order and gotten something else completely without my consent.

It's all resolved. The agent even put in the notes that they had called me and I agreed to the change.... a nice complaint was filled.