spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dennislv
join:2008-08-18
Las Vegas, NV

dennislv

Netgear CG3000D crippled features

I signed up a few months ago out here in vegas and they sold me the netgear cg3000d for like $85. This thing sucks! The admin interface is so crippled, it barely lets you do anything!

Is there a way to unlock the extended features, like NAT settings to put this modem into bridged mode? Or am I stuck with having to buy 'just a modem' instead of the integrated crap?

Thanks!

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

1 recommendation

CoxTech1

These devices are targeted primary towards novice customers that want something simple that just works out of the box. If you're wanting to put it in bridged mode or access to other features a separate modem/router solution may be more ideal.
dennislv
Las Vegas, NV

dennislv

Thanks for your response!

What would you recommend?

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Usually Cox Representatives aren't comfortable giving suggestions for your own equipment, because then you may hold them accountable if your not happy with it. It might be better to ask the question in general.

If you want what people suggest, I think the current trend is a Motorola SB6141(or Cisco DPC3010) and a Asus RT-N66U. Those are expensive though,about 240$ in total and kind of overkill for most users.

If your looking for something a little cheaper, a Zoom 5341-00-00J and a Asus RT-N56U will set you back about 169$ Anything lower then that and your either giving up 8 channel bonding or giving up the Wifi N 450Mbps speed. If all your devices are older N or even G, maybe go with a Dlink DIR-655 with DD-WRT. Anything less then about 50-60$ for a router though, you start going into the throw away range.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to dennislv

to dennislv
if you want a gateway then the Motorola sb6580 might be a better option but from the sound of it it might be better to get a stand alone modem and router which is always the best option
dennislv
Las Vegas, NV

dennislv

Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning more towards separating the modem from the router. This integrated device is giving me a headache!
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx to dennislv

to dennislv
I've had luck with the cisco dcp3010's. You lose access to any extended error messages and can only check the signal levels.. The two that I have running have been solid though. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap too.