Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

germ

join:2006-09-30
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

Al Jazeera channel is live

Ch. 114. Good on Verizon for carrying the channel and not dropping it like TWC. This new channel is based out of NYC and will have content tailored for the American audience.

The Al Jazeera website is one of the best news sources I've read in terms of their breadth and objectivity so I'm really looking forward to seeing this channel.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
Since it's not HD, I'll skip regardless.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to germ
Same as the only channels I will watch are HD in my favorite list...

charliewatts

join:2013-04-10
reply to germ
But if you are only watching HD channels, then you are missing H2, Ovation, HLN ....... channels that should be seen!

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
said by charliewatts:

But if you are only watching HD channels, then you are missing H2, Ovation, HLN ....... channels that should be seen!

HLN should not be seen! I do watch H2 on the kitchen TV, which is a 17" LCD.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to germ
I have already registered my complaint with Verizon about carrying the domestic offshoot of this anti-American propaganda channel and urge everyone to do the same.

Sure it's "tailored" for an American audience - they'll tone down the hate when broadcasting into our living rooms - but all the money goes right back to the same main channel that held an on-air birthday party for a terrorist that killed 4 people - including bashing the head of a 4 year old girl - and said Jewish people were told not to go to work at the WTC on 9/11.

No thanks.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
For those of us in the New York area, I noticed the WRNN local feed of Al Jazeera English on channel 481 is now a simulcast of the main WRNN feed. I thought Al Jazeera English was a different feed, but apparently they took it down. I wonder if WRNN intends on replacing that subchannel.

germ

Long Beach, CA
reply to knarf829
said by knarf829:

I have already registered my complaint with Verizon about carrying the domestic offshoot of this anti-American propaganda channel and urge everyone to do the same.

Sure it's "tailored" for an American audience - they'll tone down the hate when broadcasting into our living rooms - but all the money goes right back to the same main channel that held an on-air birthday party for a terrorist that killed 4 people - including bashing the head of a 4 year old girl - and said Jewish people were told not to go to work at the WTC on 9/11.

No thanks.

This is a channel that has angered pretty much everyone at one point or another. They've angered many conservatives in their home region.

oxfdblue

join:2007-04-15
Staten Island, NY

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to knarf829
Have you ever watched Al Jazeera English? Have you ever read anything on their website?

If you do not like the channel do not watch it but how dare you try to prevent me or other Americans from watching it. I believe Fox News has done more damage to the political knowledge and process in this country than anything else in our history, yet I would NEVER suggest that it should be taken off the air.

You wrap yourself in the flag, and then stomp all over our freedom of the press.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

1 edit
reply to knarf829
Unfortunately I don't see them dropping Fox News.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
reply to germ
said by germ:

It's funny you mention money because I doubt this channel will be too profitable. They hired 900 people and opened 12 bureaus in the US and have 16 investigative journalists(CNN recently shut down their investigative team). All of this for a channel that is only available in SD and is also the same channel that was previously home to a failed news channel(Current TV).

If they didn't think it was going to profitable, they wouldn't have done it.

Conversely, if they launched a channel with the expectation that it would be unprofitable, I'd have to ask what their ulterior motive in launching it was.

germ

Long Beach, CA
said by knarf829:

said by germ:

It's funny you mention money because I doubt this channel will be too profitable. They hired 900 people and opened 12 bureaus in the US and have 16 investigative journalists(CNN recently shut down their investigative team). All of this for a channel that is only available in SD and is also the same channel that was previously home to a failed news channel(Current TV).

If they didn't think it was going to profitable, they wouldn't have done it.

Conversely, if they launched a channel with the expectation that it would be unprofitable, I'd have to ask what their ulterior motive in launching it was.

I was mistaken attributing those numbers for the channel. They're for the entirety of the Al Jazeera news organization and not solely for the NYC-based Al Jazeera channel. I'm sure that the channel will benefit from those resources.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to germ
said by germ:

This is a channel that has angered pretty much everyone at one point or another.

Right down my alley.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to germ
Oh neat non HD channels.

/yawn

TimCo

join:2005-01-14
Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to germ
To be fair FIOS should add "The Blaze".

celticpride

@verizon.net
Thanks for the heads up! man i never watch sd channels ,but verizon continues to amaze me with how good this standard def channel looks. I will be watching this channel as i believe i can trust and believe the AL Jazeera channel more than fox news or even CNN!

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to germ
This channel is EXACTLY what is needed in the Middle East, a place to air opposing viewpoints. As someone wrote, the network and it's staff are viewed as anarchists by some regimes. They also own BeIN Sport, which is not political. Sort of like Fox News and Fox Sports.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

1 edit
reply to germ
I know the original Al Jazerra channel may put forth some views which may be offensive but what I've seen on AJA they're pretty unbiased. If we can have a channel viewable to both the FNC & MSNBC folks then I think it's a win. Common ground to have a nice picnic on.

My vote: I'm an FNC viewer, MSNBC hater and I like AJA and will add it to my viewing schedule. I'm watching a piece on marijuana as I type this sentence.

EDIT: the news piece on AJA is about Marijuana. Just to eliminate any ambiguity.
Expand your moderator at work

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to Andy from CA

Re: Al Jazeera channel is live

said by Andy from CA:

I'm watching a piece on marijuana as I type this sentence.

EDIT: the news piece on AJA is about Marijuana. Just to eliminate any ambiguity.

Glad you cleared that up!

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to germ
I haven't seen much of the Al Jazeera content, web or televised. But what I did see seemed rather unbiased and objective. I may not watch it but I'm glad Verizon did this.
--
There are 10 types of people that understand binary numbers. Those that do - and those that do not...

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to germ
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

I haven't watched Al Jazeera and probably won't...but it has as much a right to exist as any news channel. Don't watch it if you don't like it.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

this is no time for rational statements

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Drunkula
said by Drunkula:

I haven't seen much of the Al Jazeera content, web or televised. But what I did see seemed rather unbiased and objective. I may not watch it but I'm glad Verizon did this.

They have hired up to 1000 reporters all over the world, this is a massive operation designed to compete with CNN and BBC. I think they screwed up by not renaming the network from Al Jazeera, which has a negative connotation.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

this is no time for rational statements

"Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up"
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

jpradley

join:2002-02-03
New York, NY
AlJazeera appears on Channel 114 and also Channel 1750.

I find it impossible to add one or the other to Favorites. Adding one also adds the other.

Any workaround?
Expand your moderator at work

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to jpradley

Re: Al Jazeera channel is live

said by jpradley:

I find it impossible to add one or the other to Favorites. Adding one also adds the other.

Any workaround?

No. It's a single channel with two channel numbers. Adding the channel will add all associated channel numbers to your favorites. This is a good thing, as it means that if a channel on your favorites list changes numbers, you don't have to worry about it.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by UnnDunn:

said by jpradley:

Any workaround?

No. It's a single channel with two channel numbers. Adding the channel will add all associated channel numbers to your favorites. This is a good thing, as it means that if a channel on your favorites list changes numbers, you don't have to worry about it.

Wasn't this a bug a long time ago, where if you tried to add something to Favorites, it would also add the Spanish one also? It isn't supposed to work like that.