spc
uniqs
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

1 recommendation

JBear to Gone Fishing

to Gone Fishing

Re: [Info] The Risk of Running Windows XP After Support Ends...

I'm going to re-iterate what I mentioned in a previous XP end of life thread...

I'm just going to keep a rig in the basement for legacy games that I enjoy playing i.e. Simcity 4, Civ 4 and be a workhorse for projects such as ripping our CD's and movies though it'll take longer. It will be connected to the network but won't have internet access unless it is needed for trouble shooting or some other task that I choose not to do on a newer rig.

Now on saying that, if I disable internet access but have the XP computer able to access other computers on my home network it should be fine, right?

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by JBear:

Now on saying that, if I disable internet access but have the XP computer able to access other computers on my home network it should be fine, right?

You can't have a machine connect to a home and it not being able to access the Internet. Of course, if you disable the NIC, then yes the machine is protected since there is no Internet access but you won't be to access your home network. Do you see what I'm trying to say? Also, even if you take out Internet Explorer (which you can't as it is tied to the OS), when you open My Computer you can type a website address in the address bar and it WILL connect to the web.
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear

Thanks for the reply and yes I see what you're saying. I know as long as it's connected to my home network it will always be vulnerable to the outside world in some way. But if I disconnect internet access through the router would that lower it's risk to minimal levels?
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

psloss to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

You can't have a machine connect to a home and it not being able to access the Internet.

Sure you can, but very few consumers in 2013 have any use for such a configuration. (It's also inconvenient.)
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

You can't have a machine connect to a home and it not being able to access the Internet.

It all depends on what you mean by "the Internet" and where you consider "the Internet" to begin. But assuming the Internet is outside the house, all it takes is filtering at the gateway node. Or suitable configuration on the computer itself (no gateway, maybe - it's been a while since I cared about routing).
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

3 recommendations

Shootist to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

said by JBear:

You can't have a machine connect to a home and it not being able to access the Internet. Of course, if you disable the NIC, then yes the machine is protected since there is no Internet access but you won't be to access your home network. Do you see what I'm trying to say? Also, even if you take out Internet Explorer (which you can't as it is tied to the OS), when you open My Computer you can type a website address in the address bar and it WILL connect to the web.

That is completely false. Sure you can have a home network and not have any of the computers connected to the net or have internet access and restrict that access to only select systems. Just where do you get this blatantly false information?