uniqs
share rss forum feed

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

Travel from California to Nova Scotia in that!!

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
On the weekend I took my 60 Corvette and Olympus dslr to the 50th Annual Halifax Antique Car Show in Bedford, NS...

And this car appeared. Apparently this Maxwell was purchased new in 1909 and driven across the USA from California to North Sydney, Nova Scotia... I can't imagine what the road conditions were like in the early 1900's but a trek like that must have been some endeavor...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS

2 edits
Click for full size
Pat & Bonnie's 59 Vette
Click for full size
So how many here have driven across the USA or Canada? And what was the make, model and year of the ride...

PS: Here's my 60 Vette and Pat & Bonnie's 59... That's my good buddie Lonnie behind the wheel. he own's a sweet 1973 Dodge Challenger that is receiving a crate engine...
Expand your moderator at work

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to vue666

Re: Travel from California to Nova Scotia in that!!

said by vue666:

And this car appeared. Apparently this Maxwell was purchased new in 1909 and driven across the USA from California to North Sydney, Nova Scotia... I can't imagine what the road conditions were like in the early 1900's but a trek like that must have been some endeavor...

Indeed:

On July 7, 1919, an extraordinary cavalcade of sixty-nine military motor vehicles set off from the White House on an epic journey.

Their goal was California, and ahead of them lay 3,250 miles of dirt, mud, rock, and sand.

Sixty-two days later they arrived in San Francisco, having averaged just five miles an hour. Known as the First Transcontinental Motor Train, this trip was an adventure, a circus, a public relations coup, and a war game all rolled into one. As road conditions worsened, it also became a daily battle of sweat and labor, of guts and determination....

»www.amazon.com/American-Road-Sto···0506883X

And that caravan was led by a young US Army officer named Dwight D. Eisenhower----who decades later as President would create the US Interstate Highway System.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

So how many here have driven across the USA or Canada? And what was the make, model and year of the ride...

I've personally driven (me behind the wheel) a "back and forth" 6 times since 1996... 3 times prior as a passenger in others - won't bother listing those. These were all Eastern Ontario -> San Diego, CA or San Francisco, CA and back again.

Trip 1 - 1992 Ford Tempo V6
Trip 2 - 1996 Ford Explorer
Trip 3 - 1996 Firebird Formula Convertible
Trip 4 - 1998 Chevy K1500 crew cab 4x4 1/2 ton pickup
Trip 5 - 2000 BMW 328 Ci
Trip 6 - 2003 Honda Accord V6

The drive is interesting the first day (Ontario - Illinois) and the last day (Colorado - California)... the day in between is quite bleh (Illinois - Colorado). I typically do the trip in 3 x 14 hour days.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
Ever drive the original Route 66?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

And that caravan was led by a young US Army officer named Dwight D. Eisenhower----who decades later as President would create the US Interstate Highway System.

Yup, and it was precisely because of that trek and his memories of what was endured that he created such an extensive system. Its original purpose wasn't to get travellers around the US, but rather to get military supplies and vehicles across the country quickly. That original purpose is included in the network's official name - the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. The logo for the network also includes five stairs laid out as what would be worn by a five star general.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to vue666
Click for full size
I got a kick out of the description... "Gentlemen's Speedster With Mother-In Law Seat" ...LOL

This Maxwell did 25 mph at 20 mpg. And in 1909 gas stations were few & far between... But still would have better range than the 1912 Woods Electric Brougham I saw last week at the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Owls Head, Maine...Here's a photo I took last week of it...

Hydraglass
Premium
Kingston, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Ever drive the original Route 66?

Sections of it - much of it no longer exists. In all honesty, many of the parts that do exist tend to be in the less scenic parts of the country.

I've taken the northern route - I-94 and then south on I-15 to LA. I've taken the middle route - I-80 the whole way to SF. I've taken the mid-southern route - I-81 down to I-40 across to I-15 in Barstow, and the very southern route - I-81 to I-59 to I-20 to I-10 to I-8 to San Diego. When traveling 8000 to 10,000 km round trip - the interstate system still gives plenty of chance to see whats out there across most of North America -- for how many people live in the US, there's a heck of a lot of thousands of Km's of nothing down there (New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa... while interesting to drive through, you can only appreciate it for so many hours!).

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to vue666
Maxwell was the 3rd largest US auto company in the early 19th century....Around 1920 it evolved into Chrysler Motor Company...as Maxwell experienced financial difficulty and Chrysler took over...

So this 1909 automobile is kind of an early Mopar....lol...

Hydraglass
Premium
Kingston, ON
said by vue666:

Maxwell was the 3rd largest US auto company in the early 19th century....Around 1920 it evolved into Chrysler Motor Company...as Maxwell experienced financial difficulty and Chrysler took over...

So this 1909 automobile is kind of an early Mopar....lol...

Wow and it made the trip.... *ba da bump* Nahh - it probably made the trip fine - just with a lot of strange rattles and clunks (ok.. ok... so I'm not a Mopar fan... don't hate on me!)

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

Maxwell was the 3rd largest US auto company in the early 19th century.

Wow, pretty damn good for 19th Century!

But methinks you meant the 20th.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
said by PX Eliezer:

said by vue666:

Maxwell was the 3rd largest US auto company in the early 19th century.

Wow, pretty damn good for 19th Century!

But methinks you meant the 20th.

Yup... I did...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Hydraglass
I'm insane, I drove to the Grand Canyon in about 2 days.
Slept in the back of the truck at truck stops/rest stops munched when I got gas.. otherwise go go go...

A rest stop in New Mexico actually had showers you could use.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to vue666
A few regulars on the Corvette Forum drove their Classic Corvettes down Route 66... I believe I posted a link to their trip in another thread...

»forums.corvetteforum.com/off-top···rip.html

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to vue666
Perhaps the requirement for the Mother-in-law seat was to fetch fuel and/or push... As I suspect gas stations in 1909 would be few and far between....

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to vue666
so, my boss ordered a new 2014 Audi RS5 Convertible in April and just got it last week (pretty sweet ride)...turns out, in North America, Audi disables the bluetooth handsfree button on the steering wheel, because too many people complained about the sound quality when driving with the top down (duh!)...my boss asked if it could be turned back on, so that he can use it when the top is up...they said no problem and asked him to bring it back in as that feature can be changed from the software...they said, "Hey, we'll get you set up with a loaner car"...he said not to worry about it as he wasn't going anywhere today anyway (other than coming here)...they said "You'll want to".

they were right..check out the sweet loaner car:

i think i could handle a cross country drive in one of those.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
This is his loaner car? wtf lol... I'm good, i'll keep this one. Thanks!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
yea...pretty sweet loaner...honestly, not really sure why they would use such a nice car as a loaner...i suppose it makes people "forget" about any possible negative feelings having their car in for service pretty damn quickly...but that's got to cost a fortune to use such a pricey vehicle as a loaner.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to vue666
r8's have been a favorite lately. Beautiful cars and sound amazing! I'd be taking the day off work lol.

No doubt that car i believe is $120k + MSRP or so if not much higher. Odd a londer is an R8.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
They gave him an R8 as a loaner?

As for costs, depends on the options, they run from about $120K all the way up to about 200.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to dirtyjeffer
Doesn't the R8 use as a Lamborghini engine?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

They gave him an R8 as a loaner?

As for costs, depends on the options, they run from about $120K all the way up to about 200.

yea...he also has a Mercedes SLK AMG, and when he drops it off for service (oil changes, etc) he always gets nice Mercedes loaners too (no, no SLS AMG models)...usually the Mercedes loaners are C-Class and E-Class sedans...likely typical of what you would expect (normal nice sedans)...the R8 is certainly an odd loaner car.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

Doesn't the R8 use as a Lamborghini engine?

yes, depending on the model...this one was "just" the V8 model...there is a V10 model, which is the one that uses the same engine as the Lambo (it is tuned differently though).

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
here's a video of it (he didn't do anything special, he was just leaving for the day)...one thing's for sure, she's got a fat ass.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv25bs48_SE

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

yea...he also has a Mercedes SLK AMG, and when he drops it off for service (oil changes, etc) he always gets nice Mercedes loaners too (no, no SLS AMG models)...usually the Mercedes loaners are C-Class and E-Class sedans...likely typical of what you would expect (normal nice sedans)...the R8 is certainly an odd loaner car.

If your boss is able to afford those cars, he's not paying you enough money.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
sure he is...i am paid very competitively, and get extra options like good benefits, DC pension and bonuses (2x year)...he (and the other partners who run the other division) took all the risk in creating the company...he is also very generous and actively involved in numerous local charities (he is also on the board of the LHSF)...he lives a great life, but honestly, he deserves every bit of it...he is a great boss.
--

- George Orwell

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by dirtyjeffer:

he lives a great life, but honestly, he deserves every bit of it...he is a great boss.

To carryover from the other thread, it sounds like your boss is indeed a great fellow.

He contributes more to the world than the Justin Biebers or the Cardassians.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to vue666
I did Ontario to Los Angeles, then into Mexico (down Baja), and back through Texas. From LA onwards the trip was interesting as didn't do the highways much. I forget the exact route down, although I know the cross country portion going out was mostly I40 (a few side trips along the way). Did it though in a 4WD though, so no real issues with any of the roads. The Mexico portion was fairly rough (and off roads at times).

It brings to mind the old Nissan ads about the Paris-Dakar rally... too bad you can't drive to Europe.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to vue666
I still wanna do the Route 66 trip in my 60 Vette o at least make the run to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky....

Canchatter Rifleman visited there a few years ago and was kind enough to purchase and mail me a patch from NCM which I treasure dearly...and am forever in his debt...