Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..

[Exede] What is Exede Evolution.

read about this somewhere......

5GB cap, but "unlimited" web browsing and email (but no embedded video).

so, if you go over your 5GB "everything" cap, you can still browse webpages and read email, but nothing else will work.

How could this possibly be controlled?

$64.99 a month?

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA
From a post on WBW:

Exede Evolution is a new package option we launched yesterday. It allows for unlimited access to web pages and email, and has a 5 GB data allowance for all other activity. The page you linked to has a great illustration of what counts towards the 5 GB allowance, and what doesn't count, i.e. unlimited. If you do NOT watch a lot - or don't watch any - streaming video and audio like Netflix, Hulu, Internet radio stations, etc., then it may be a good plan for you. If your online activity consists of surfing web pages, checking email, doing things like ebay, online shopping, facebook, blogging, reading the news, etc, then it may be a good plan for you. On the other hand, if you do much streaming video or audio at all, it probably isn't a good plan option for you.

Again, this link has a lot of great info about Exede Evolution, along with a link to some FAQ's at the bottom of the page: »www.exede.com/evolution

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
said by viasatguy:

From a post on WBW:

...not my cup of tea...better off with normal package, for most folks, without kids.

But, for households with internet kids, or "clueless adults," it might be worthwhile to have...once they consume the 5 gig video/download bucket, at least they will have email/web access.

If that's the way it is...not a bad idea...an idea that should have been introduced, years ago....

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to compuguybna
This honestly sounds like a poorly thought out plan. You would have to do almost solely web browsing and email to get by with only 5GB "everything" data. If that is the case, you would almost certainly get by fine with the $50 10GB basic plan with LNFZ. It takes a lot of web browsing and email to equal any sizable amount of data.

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to compuguybna
Plan definitely sounds like crap. But they can sell it to the stupid and misinformed. I can do "unlimited" "static" web browsing on satellite internet! Yea!!!!

Of course, most mainstream websites now have multimedia content that will count against your usage unless blocked (which most average users won't do). Like another poster said, you can already do a ton of static web browsing for 10GB/month, and save money.

Sometimes Viasat appears to make some pretty smart decisions (LNFZ, increasing the lowest package from 7.5GB to 10GB for instance).

Then they do some of the dumbest things. Exede "Voice" costing more than competitor products that support VOIP (oh but it is "tuned" for satellite and doesn't count against usage...oh boy).

Exede Evolution definitely sounds like it belongs in the "dumbest" category. And I can just see people getting it and wondering why they are capped after a couple days. And Viasat thinks it has trouble explaining the usage meter to users now...

DrStrangLov

reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

This honestly sounds like a poorly thought out plan.

Since beginning of "bucket usage" policies...when the "that's all" experience comes...people are upset.

CSRs have heard this story, over and over....and customers are "hot."

So, how do you resolve this situation? Its an attempt to eradicate this issue.

DrStrangLov

reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

5GB "everything" data.

"
Early Bird Free Zone (3 a.m.-8 a.m.), when all Internet activity is full speed and unmetered."

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to compuguybna
So after you use your 5GB, you won't be able to use streaming video, audio, etc. How is it that you simply can't use those elements? Are they blocked? Most websites will have some sort of an element that falls under that 5GB. Will those websites simply be broken?

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

1 edit
reply to compuguybna
You can avoid viewing multimedia in websites by using various ad and flashblocking programs. But then...all you have left is text.

You will be able to still use the system after you hit the 5GB cap...but your speed will be throttled. Hence, users on the plan will then call in and complain "why is my internet so slow" as they won't understand all the plan particulars.

As we have said before. It is just a stupid way for Exede to say it offers "unlimited" satellite internet usage. But as they say, the devil is in the details!

silbaco
Premium
USA
said by OldSatUser:

You can avoid viewing multimedia in websites by using various ad and flashblocking programs. But then...all you have left is text.

You will be able to still use the system after you hit the 5GB cap...but your speed will be throttled. Hence, users on the plan will then call in and complain "why is my internet so slow" as they won't understand all the plan particulars.

As we have said before. It is just a stupid way for Exede to say it offers "unlimited" satellite internet usage. But as they say, the devil is in the details!

It doesn't sound like you will be throttled. "With Exede Evolution, if you reach your monthly 5 GB data allowance, you're never slowed or restricted when accessing email or web pages. However, you won't be able to do anything else on the Internet, including video or music streaming." It sounds like you are cut off from everything not deemed web/email entirely.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to compuguybna
I know what they say. But can that be done? Can that even legally be done by denying certain content that web providers expect to be delivered to users that visit their sites? For example, there is a video ad embedded in a website. Now I know most of us would like to avoid having that ad delivered in the first place, and we as users have options to prevent that ad from displaying. But the advertiser expects that content to at least be delivered to the user when somebody accesses the webpage, and pays that website for that ad to be displayed on it.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to compuguybna
Amazing that today, Karl posts an article on this......(after I asked yesterday).

Obviously, this has been out before today.

DrStrangLov

reply to OldSatUser
said by OldSatUser:

But the advertiser expects that content to at least be delivered to the user when somebody accesses the webpage, and pays that website for that ad to be displayed on it.

Word for the day - Text-based web browser - A text-based web browser is a web browser that renders only the text of web pages, and ignores graphic content.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_web_browser

Exede Zac

join:2013-03-06
Davenport, IA
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

This honestly sounds like a poorly thought out plan. You would have to do almost solely web browsing and email to get by with only 5GB "everything" data. If that is the case, you would almost certainly get by fine with the $50 10GB basic plan with LNFZ. It takes a lot of web browsing and email to equal any sizable amount of data.

silbaco,

When mentioning web browsing, it doesn't just include viewing websites. Customers can shop and purchase items online, check their stock portfolios, gain access to unlimited Facebook (doesn't include video/games), check the news & weather.
If the customer’s household watches less than 2-3 Netflix movies a month or less than 200 typical YouTube videos, Evolution is the BEST VALUE for that customer.
--
Exede Zac
Exede Internet Social Media Escalations

Exede Zac

join:2013-03-06
Davenport, IA
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

So after you use your 5GB, you won't be able to use streaming video, audio, etc. How is it that you simply can't use those elements? Are they blocked? Most websites will have some sort of an element that falls under that 5GB. Will those websites simply be broken?

This kind of content consumes a lot of bandwidth, since we have a fixed amoutn of bandwidth available for customers, it's currently not possible for us to provide our customers with unlimited video or music streaming without it having a negative affect on all customers.
Email and web browsing uses little bandwidth so we are still able to offer that as unlimited compared to the other kind of Internet activities. Also, with web browsing/email being unlimited on Evolution, that will always be unlimited, it's the other data usage that gets restricted that falls within the 5GB monthly bucket. But remember, when and if that happens, we do provide all customers with the Early Bird Free Zone on Evolution which is now between 3-8AM compared to the LNFZ's 12-5AM. So these customers get a different free zone time slot for all unmetered data!
--
Exede Zac
Exede Internet Social Media Escalations

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

1 edit
reply to Exede Zac
said by Exede Zac:

When mentioning web browsing, it doesn't just include viewing websites. Customers can shop and purchase items online, check their stock portfolios, gain access to unlimited Facebook (doesn't include video/games), check the news & weather.
If the customer’s household watches less than 2-3 Netflix movies a month or less than 200 typical YouTube videos, Evolution is the BEST VALUE for that customer.

How in the world would this be the BEST VALUE for a customer that doesn't watch YouTube videos and Netflix??? I can get a 10GB plan for less money, and if I do not do the videos and Netflix in the first place, I can do a ton with 10GB of data. I fail to see this at all. Want to offer the best value? Instead of 5GB provide 10GB like the basic plan PLUS unlimited static browsing. I think people would pay a premium for that, but not this.

DrStrangLov

reply to Exede Zac
said by Exede Zac:

unlimited on Evolution

In the beginning Exede days, the overzealous marketing folks screwed the pooch...what was that for the basic Exede plan...7.5 Gbytes vs NRTC's 10 Gigs...

Make it fair, and drop the price to same as basic plans (Exede/NRTC/DISH/etc).

Its clear those marketing folks missed the target, on more than one occasion...just examine previous plans before Exede went live.

Drop the price...and fire those marketing folks...

Abyss1992

join:2012-08-18
Walton, WV
reply to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

So, how do you resolve this situation? Its an attempt to eradicate this issue.

Get rid of the usage meter altogether.

Abyss1992

Walton, WV

1 edit
reply to Exede Zac
said by Exede Zac:

This kind of content consumes a lot of bandwidth, since we have a fixed amount of bandwidth available for customers, it's currently not possible for us to provide our customers with unlimited video or music streaming without it having a negative affect on all customers.

I heard no complaints during the 5 months where there where no meters and the 3 months the meters where down. I could get a constant 2.5MB/s down at any time of day during those times. The bird has 126GB of bandwidth a "day" to be used notice the word day.

Abyss1992

Walton, WV

2 edits
reply to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov :

basic Exede plan...7.5 Gbytes vs NRTC's 10 Gigs...

Not much of an upgrade, 2.5GB the basic package should be 20GB then 30GB and the final package should be 40GB.

Abyss1992

Walton, WV
reply to compuguybna
I love how when I comment on anything I kill the thread as nobody seems to have a counterpoint to what I say in these matters.

DrStrangLov

said by Abyss1992:

I love how when I comment on anything I kill the thread as nobody seems to have a counterpoint...

Next time you get petro, just tell the clerk its overpriced, and you will only give 25 cents per gallon, like it was in the 1960s.

Oh companies offer services....pick-n-choose...but let them have feedback, like this service is overpriced, and explain why, like because user would be using less usage than if on a 10 Gig plan, but paying more for this "Gee Whiz" service.

With constructive criticism, a company may LISTEN...of course, when Exede offered the 7.5 Gig plan, it took a "club" for a wakeup call

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to compuguybna
I fail to see the value in this. It would be pretty hard to use 5 gigs a month solely on web browsing. You would have to be browsing the web literally 24/7 for this plan to be worth it.

Shonya

@ashlandfiber.net
reply to compuguybna
I'm a newbee and am confused by this thread. I get that the web browsing theoretically doesn't draw from the 5GB allowance, but I am confused as to whether this "unlimited" web browsing has to be static, text only web browsing or not. Can someone clarify?

I am not sophisticated enough to know how to block all the ads and unwanted embedded videos. What about desired embedded videos while browsing? Will these draw from the 5GB?

Finally, if anyone, perhaps by private email so as not to get off-topic for the forum, can refer me to how to block embedded videos ads, etc. (I'm Mac if that matters), I'd be grateful...

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to compuguybna
They are saying embedded audio and video will count against your 5GB allowance.

As far as blocking all that, there are programs out there to do that, but not sure which ones would be needed for the Mac.

My advice, just take the 10GB plan. It is cheaper, and if you are not going to watch videos or stream music in the first place, 10GB/month should be fine for your needs.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to Abyss1992
said by Abyss1992:

I love how when I comment on anything I kill the thread as nobody seems to have a counterpoint to what I say in these matters.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

ViaSat is charging you for your bytes because:

1) They can, it's more profitable to do so, and they need to money to build and launch ViaSat-2.

2) They have to in order to keep their speeds near the advertised "up to" level. ViaSat's goal is to get around 1 million customers onto ViaSat-1. 1 million customers all trying to watch Netflix and YouTube at once isn't going to work.

If you feel that unlimited Internet usage is some sort of basic human right, then feel free to petition your government to finance unlimited usage (with debt). I'm sure that ViaSat and Echostar would happily go along with such a plan. That would be fine with me too.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to Shonya
said by Shonya :

can refer me to how to block embedded videos ads, etc. (I'm Mac if that matters)

I'm using OS X too, but this is browser specific, not OS related. With Opera, "Preferences->Advanced->Enable plug-ins only on demand" will make it so that embedded videos don't load unless you demand (by clicking on them). With Firefox, I use »adblockplus.org/ . I also have »www.ghostery.com/ installed on all of my browsers. (Don't enable "Ghost Rank" as it sends back a lot of anonymous tracking information which will slow down browsing, and it used to count against my usage on Exede-12.) There is also an extension called "Flashblock", but I haven't found a need to even try it out. Ghostery can break some websites, so if you install it and experience "weirdness", try whitelisting the site. (For example, when I tried to change the password on my Yahoo account, Yahoo's software rejected every password that I tried as being "insecure". When I reported the problem, I got a scripted response from Yahoo support. I eventually figured out that Ghostery was causing the problem.) Even if you choose the Evolution plan, browsing will be faster without ads and tracking and analytics.

Most of your questions are answered in the link which viasatguy posted. The Evolution plan doesn't appeal to me. It might appeal to someone who views lots of images regularly, or has been mentioned, to a family with children who don't "understand" the concept of metered Internet.

Abyss1992

Walton, WV
reply to james1979
said by james1979:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

ViaSat is charging you for your bytes because:

1) They can, it's more profitable to do so, and they need to money to build and launch ViaSat-2.

2) They have to in order to keep their speeds near the advertised "up to" level. ViaSat's goal is to get around 1 million customers onto ViaSat-1. 1 million customers all trying to watch Netflix and YouTube at once isn't going to work.

If you feel that unlimited Internet usage is some sort of basic human right, then feel free to petition your government to finance unlimited usage (with debt). I'm sure that ViaSat and Echostar would happily go along with such a plan. That would be fine with me too.

1. More profitable yes but they also have to think about customer satisfaction.

2. Then they should have have enforced the DAP during the first few months of service and not show that they could handle none metered. I doupt 1 million people would be watching Netflix at once.

And unlimited usage is a basic human right, Suddenlink said 2 years ago that bandwidth is like water. This usage cap thing is recent and unneeded, Google Fiber is testament to that. We don't need the government to finance a thing.

Also with all those people with Dish Network or Directv that are watching those HD movies and TV shows how have they not used up all the bandwidth of the satellite? Heck normal shows would take tons of data itself.

BasilAR
WildBlue

join:2006-07-20
Parks, AR
said by Abyss1992:

Also with all those people with Dish Network or Directv that are watching those HD movies and TV shows how have they not used up all the bandwidth of the satellite? Heck normal shows would take tons of data itself.

This statement shows that you do not understand satellite internet.
--
WildBlue - Beam 35 - value

DrStrangLov

reply to Abyss1992
said by Abyss1992:

And unlimited usage is a basic human right,

Verizon FiOS - "They say I have to bring my usage down by 80-90% by 9/15 or they will disconnect me on 9/18 so we are talking a bandwidth limit of 2-4 TB/month," claims houkouonchi

»Verizon Cracks Down on 'Excessive' FiOS Users