uniqs
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to justin

to justin

Re: Dance of the Forums Boxes

said by justin:

they move to take up the available horizontal space, mainly they move when you widen or shrink the browser.

I for one LOVE having to search for something everytime I go to a page. Keeps the mind sharp.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

The height of an expanded "box" varies with the topics listed--might take up only one line per, though usually splits over two. Other than that the source is always in the same order unless you select one to open/expand, which moves it to the top and collapses all of the others. But unless you often change the width of your window, they'll mostly show up in the same place each time.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to H_T_R_N

Mod

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

said by justin:

they move to take up the available horizontal space, mainly they move when you widen or shrink the browser.

I for one LOVE having to search for something everytime I go to a page. Keeps the mind sharp.

The problem is that any layout you can think of that makes full use of the available space will position things differently depending on the width of the page.

Even a fixed width narrow layout of two columns must respond on a narrower device like a tablet in portrait mode, and it will therefore change the location of things.

The only layout that doesn't do any surprise repositioning is a huge column, with lots of white space - either liquid white space or wasted white space on left and right (centered).

I can do two columns where column #2 always starts with the same group of forums, switching to one column on mobile, but it will be uber long, and on wide browsers will waste a lot of space. Unless I invent extra columns to show/hide on wide/narrow devices. (still will be very long though).

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

1 edit

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

The only good reason to ever go to that page--and its permutations--at all is to simply browse everything there... just to see what is there, to see what's going on in forums that you haven't added to your /forums/fav page. As such, its layout is fine the way it is--more than fine.

Edit: Well, it was fine.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

now what's the issue/bug with it? two columns instead of three on any average screens, three columns on super wide screen. One on tablets etc.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

The problem is that if you would like to look at what is in more than one forum, after looking at one the next one is in a different place than it was before you entered the first one. And the one you wanted to visit third has moved its original location 3 times from the time you entered the page. It really makes that page useless. I said this when the change was first made. this was the first time I went back, I wanted to see if it changed, nope.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

said by H_T_R_N:

The problem is that if you would like to look at what is in more than one forum, after looking at one the next one is in a different place than it was before you entered the first one.

Try it with the current layout, I don't think it re-arranges the way you think it does.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by justin:

said by H_T_R_N:

The problem is that if you would like to look at what is in more than one forum, after looking at one the next one is in a different place than it was before you entered the first one.

Try it with the current layout, I don't think it re-arranges the way you think it does.

OK so I visit all page and open Wireless / Mobile and I get the first image, If I want to go to Other Connectivity then to Hardware By Brand, it is not in the same place. Just one example.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

It's putting the focus (which you choose) at the top left.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by tmpchaos:

It's putting the focus (which you choose) at the top left.

I'm not disputing that?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to H_T_R_N

Mod

to H_T_R_N
1. That theme you pick to override everything has an unfortunate color choice, I can fix that IMO the words should be white
2, you are running an uber wide width 98% of people don't run. Position changes drop with normal widths
3. Most forums are actually in the same place
4. It's a reasonable compromise to lay out across any width a randomly sized large box and a lot of closed ones in a way that doesn't change the position of most (or in 1 or 2 column windows, any, other boxes)
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by justin:

1. That theme you pick to override everything has an unfortunate color choice, I can fix that IMO the words should be white
2, you are running an uber wide width 98% of people don't run. Position changes drop with normal widths
3. Most forums are actually in the same place
4. It's a reasonable compromise to lay out across any width a randomly sized large box and a lot of closed ones in a way that doesn't change the position of most (or in 1 or 2 column windows, any, other boxes)

I like colors!

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to justin

Premium Member

to justin
If all you're going to do is display columns, you might as well just get rid of masonry altogether and return it to the plain text it originally was. The original masonry looked good; this doesn't.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

columns work differently: it requires care to put what you want at the top of the second column when some things open up full width etc. But then on a narrow device all that effort has to be redone.

with this layout, whether one two or three columns form the same forums are at the top, and the same at the end.