Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

[Serious]

Al Jazeera America started today, lo and behold these *#?!% deleted the channel. Current TV was on Channel 189, but when I got home, it was no longer there .

I wanted to see REAL news, not a bunch of puff pieces.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

TestBoy
Premium
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC
kudos:1
Yes, this REALLY pissed me off.
I intend to let AT&T know it too.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Boricua
It's about the Money: The Suits probably fear a decline in already low viewership because the American public associates Al Jazeera with Islamic propaganda.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to TestBoy
said by TestBoy:

Yes, this REALLY pissed me off.
I intend to let AT&T know it too.

»www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···=twitter

It's a contract dispute... Basically AT&T feels the contract for Current was breached with the format change... and AJA feels otherwise and is suing AT&T...

This is no different than other carriers (TWC, Dish, DirecTV) all fighting over channel carriage rights.

I have nothing against AJA .. but I side with ATT on this.. If the channel is no longer programming what it was in the contract.. then the contract is invalid and ATT has a right not to carry the new channel taking it's place.

This seems like a case of AJA is upset because no one is wanting to carry their new venture into American media.. I believe they also still have not worked out a deal with Time Warner and DirecTV yet... I think the only "Major" player on board so far is Dish Network. [I could be wrong - I haven't followed this one closely].

atcotr

@rr.com
I don't think this is a simple contract dispute. Why? Because Current TV/AJ America got sniped at the last second, just like on Time Warner's lineup. Whether it's because AT&T thinks AJ is a stigmatized brand or because News Corp. (FOX News) and Time Warner (CNN) don't want competition, it's a sad day in which corporations think they know better than their customers. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

This is the core problem with the TV market. Too many rent seeking middlemen between the content and the viewer. Media conglomerates who force bundling to keep prices up and use vertical integration to control every aspect from the newsroom, studio, or stadium, to the wires on your street, to the box hooked up to your TV. Not only is this whole setup anti-consumer because it limits choice, but it is anticompetitive. Is there an overbuilder threatening your turf? Keep your subsidiary channels from them. New channel threatening yours? Yank theirs from your CATV system. Is indie content becoming a threat? Drag your feet on upload speeds so publishing from home remains a pipe dream.

The top down media model has extracted a handsome profit for such a long time that it feels entitled to protection from new business models. But such a guarantee is not part of the law (at least not yet).

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to Boricua
Meh

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to atcotr
said by atcotr :

I don't think this is a simple contract dispute. Why? Because Current TV/AJ America got sniped at the last second, just like on Time Warner's lineup. Whether it's because AT&T thinks AJ is a stigmatized brand or because News Corp. (FOX News) and Time Warner (CNN) don't want competition, it's a sad day in which corporations think they know better than their customers. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I am pretty confident that if AJA wanted to PAY TWC/ATT etc to be carried on their systems there would be a spot for them (like some of the religious and shopping channels that pay to be on Dish Network)...

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Boricua
This was announced back on Aug 6:

quote:
AT&T's contracts with the programmers for the following channels are set to expire or may be terminated. In the interim, these channels will continue to be available to U-verse members, although AT&T may modify the channel location for the programming by moving the following channels from their current channel location to a channel between 9501 – 9599. However, AT&T may lose the rights to carry, or may otherwise cease to carry, the following channels (listed in alphabetical order) on U-verse TV in August 2013: Current TV (channel 189), GMA Pinoy (channel 3683), MBC America (channel 3643), TVBe (channel 3638), TVBv (channel 3664), Zee TV (channel 3702).
Current TV had abysmal viewership and sold itself to avoid bankruptcy. Low demand channels are dropped by TV providers all the time, just like underperforming TV shows with low ratings are cancelled by the networks.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
said by Wily_One:

Current TV had abysmal viewership and sold itself to avoid bankruptcy. Low demand channels are dropped by TV providers all the time, just like underperforming TV shows with low ratings are cancelled by the networks.

Except for this channel just started broadcasting for the first time yesterday. There are no ratings to speak of.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

This was announced back on Aug 6:

quote:
AT&T's contracts with the programmers for the following channels are set to expire or may be terminated. In the interim, these channels will continue to be available to U-verse members, although AT&T may modify the channel location for the programming by moving the following channels from their current channel location to a channel between 9501 – 9599. However, AT&T may lose the rights to carry, or may otherwise cease to carry, the following channels (listed in alphabetical order) on U-verse TV in August 2013: Current TV (channel 189), GMA Pinoy (channel 3683), MBC America (channel 3643), TVBe (channel 3638), TVBv (channel 3664), Zee TV (channel 3702).

Oh, look, a bunch of channels I have literally never watched. Definitely a major loss.