how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eday_20106

join:2010-02-25

1 edit

[DSL] DSL light on modem off, sometimes flashes

Bell came by today to finally get the DSL activated; it's only ben two months. The Bell technician checked everything, got DSL signal on his equipment, and said everything was good to go. The DSL light on the modem (Thomson speedtouch 516) is off, and every now and then blinks as though it is trying to connect. Bell Tech said this is normal and would stay it once the activation was in Teksavv's system.

Second tech came later, from Telecon. He said that the DSL light should be green as soon as Bell activated the DSL. He went through his thing, got a DSL signal on his stuff, and said that it might mean there is a problem with the modem.

Who is right? My modem worked fine before we moved; we had 6/1 mbps service. We upgraded to 15/1 at the new house. I was told that my modem was still good for the 15/1 service. I know I can wait until the morning to see if it is working, but after two months and missing more than one day of work to deal with this I am impatient.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Re: [DSL] DSL lighton modem off, sometimes flashes

Hello,

Just to be clear, Bell tech said he was getting signal, and the Telecom tech also confirmed he was getting signal.
But when your modem is plugged in, you don't get any.

Can you double check the phone cable & if possible, test the modem. Not to say at this time the modem is the issue, but it kind of looks like that.

See if you know anyone that has 15/1 or lower & try your modem there to ensure the modem is working properly.

If it is, then let us know & we can look at getting your line checked once again.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

eday_20106

This is correct. The Telecom tech said his dry loop signal was getting through, and the Bell tech sad he was getting a signal.

I tried a different phone cable with no luck. It still stays off and then flashes quickly for a few seconds every minute or less. I assume midnight isn't going to fix this.

So is the modem not compatible with 15/1? I was told that it was (both on the phone with tech support an on here.

So if I need a new modem, that means I could get faster service. If I were to go to 15/10, would that require more than just flicking a switch? Or would it require more techs and more hassle? The only thing that stopped me from getting 15/10 over 15/1 was the need for a new modem. Would I be subject to a speed change fee?

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

Since installation date is today, would be wise to at least wait and see if anything changed by midnight.

The ST516 is compatible with the 15/1 service. To get 15/10 or higher would required a VDSL modem. At this time the only option would be for $130 or rent to own ($150), plus activation fee as it's considered a new service.

If you stick with 15/1 & you are looking for a new modem, you can get good ones for 20-30 dollars.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

eday_20106

Can you tell me which modems are compatible on case I need to buy one locally? It would be something I would buy tomorrow if needed.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

Anyone that says ADSL2+ & you'll be fine.

Popular models are tp-links 8616/8816, Dlink DSL-502, Speedtouch, even some older Bell devices such as 2wires.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

Just to be clear, Bell tech said he was getting signal, and the Telecom tech also confirmed he was getting signal.
But when your modem is plugged in, you don't get any.

I had sort of the same problem on my install day.

Bell tech came, asked me to check if I could get sync on my modem, couldn't hold sync for more than 30-40 seconds at a time and the Bell tech blamed my non-Bell modem. My modem (ST516) was still holding sync for months at a time at my previous address so I strongly doub.

Bell's modem sync'd after a minute or so of waiting and after a few minutes, just when the Bell tech was about to tell me his job was done, the Bell modem started cutting out as well with the test-center tech confirming that error rate on the DSLAM shot up so he instructed the install tech to try a different DSLAM port.

My old ST516 hasn't lost sync since - apart from the time I shut down power to replace worn power outlets.

eday_20106

Is the DSLAM port something I could change/check myself?

Checked this morning, and am having the same issue. So midnight coming along did nothing. I don't think my modem even syncs. The DSL light flashes for about 5 seconds as though it is trying to connect. Then it stays off for 30-60 seconds before flashing again.

I will be picking up a TP-LINK TD-8816 modem and try that. If that fails, I will be calling Teksavvy to see if they can figure out the problem.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by eday_20106:

Is the DSLAM port something I could change/check myself?

No. The DSLAMs and JWIs they are attached to are usually locked and for authorized personnel only so don't mess with them.

eday_20106

I can't mess with them if they are locked

eday_20106

reply to TSI Martin

It is not the modem. I bought a D-link ADSL2+ modem and it's the same issue. No DSL Light. I am calling teksavvy support right now.

eday_20106

So Bell has to come out to do everything again as a "warranty" check. Thankfully they are supposed to come out tomorrow. Hopefully it's something like the DSLAM port since they were getting signals and my modems are not. I will make sure to mention this post to the Bell tech.