spc
uniqs
benoitgphoto6
join:2013-08-13
Saint-Jerome, QC

benoitgphoto6 to btech805

to btech805

Re: Frequent disconnection of Fibe Intervet and TV

Yes there is a transformer on my property. I'll mention that to the support but the drops off occur at different time. I hope this is not the issue as this forces Bell to put an X on a lot of potential customers and me on Fibe TV and Internet.

Thanks for the answer...it is greatly appreciated.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

If there's a transformer on your property, do you have aerial or buried lines? And are you able to see when your services go out if you can stand near the transformer and hear it? Sounds like either the bell lune isn't properly bonded and grounded or the hydro services aren't properly grounded
benoitgphoto6
Saint-Jerome, QC

benoitgphoto6

Well...I just can't predict when it is gonna cut but when it happens, I can go out and check. Wiring is aerial. How can it be fixed?

Thanks for your help.
Ben
benoitgphoto6

benoitgphoto6

Another thing is coming to my mind. I do have an alarm system linked to the central. Usually, they are supposed to see when the phone line is coming back up in case of an interruption. I checked with them and even though they see arming and disarming events, they do not see anything about phone line interruptions or phone line coming back up. And when I got Fibe services, all tests have been done with the alarm company to make sure alarm system was taking the priority on the phone line.
btech805
Canada

btech805

2 things then:

1. I had a case a few days ago the customer was losing services but the alarm never lost contact which sounds like it could be your alarm in this case. If the alarm company isn't losing signal from your house but you are losing services then it is definitely the alarm system or the wiring from the alarm. Confirm with them that they aren't losing signal and if they aren't then get them out there asap. If there are gaps in when they're able to communicate with your house then im thinking it's a grounding issue which brings us to #2

2. Call bell, have the tech test the line for grounding problems and either change the aerial drop back to the house if that is picking up induction, or move to a buried line away from the hydro drop line to the house.

First thing would be to call the alarm company, and see how what they have to say.
benoitgphoto6
Saint-Jerome, QC

1 edit

benoitgphoto6

Hi...thanks for the info. I'll recheck with the alarm company when I'll have another drop off. BTW, I did not have any cuts yesterday which does not happen very often.

A Bell tech is scheduled for friday morning throught resolution department. They are supposed to check the wiring and line. I'll mention him possible grounding issues.

Do you happen to work in Montreal area by any chance ?
Thanks
Benoiit
btech805
Canada

btech805

No im in Ottawa unfortunately
benoitgphoto6
Saint-Jerome, QC

benoitgphoto6 to btech805

to btech805
Hi...just a couple of questions to make sure I'm following you correctly

1) In case of your customer that was loosing services but the alarm never lost contact, what was the cause of lost services ? Did it have anything to do with the alarm system or it was a separate issue ?

2) How can I test with the alarm company ? Can I just unplug the fiber optic cable ?

Thanks
Ben
btech805
Canada

btech805

1. The alarm system was the issue in my case, it was seizing the line as it is supposed to but there was an issue with the system and it wasnt releasing the line once tests were completed.

2. You can test by calling the company and ask if they're receiving consistent signal from your house, or if there are drops in when they're able to access it. Mind you the easiest way to tell if there's a problem with the system is normally the keypad will 'beep' constantly if there is no line detected.

When the tech comes Friday see if he can bypass your alarm for the time being and leave it unplugged (if you are comfortable with this) and have tour equipment plugged in without going through the alarm and see for a few days if you lose your service with the alarm not present.
benoitgphoto6
Saint-Jerome, QC

benoitgphoto6

said by btech805:

1. The alarm system was the issue in my case, it was seizing the line as it is supposed to but there was an issue with the system and it wasnt releasing the linethnce tests were completed.

Ok...I do not think this is the issue here as the cuts happens randomly and there is no coincidence with with any activity of the alarm system. But it bugs me that I loose the phone and the alarm central does not see it.

2. You can test by calling the company and ask if they're receiving consistent signal from your house, or if there are drops in when they're able to access it. Mind you the easiest way to tell if there's a problem with the system is normally the keypad will 'beep' constantly if there is no line detected.

This brings me a question : let's say as an hypothesis, there is a power fade which cause the ONT to go on the UPS. At the moment of the power fade, I should loose the TV and the Internet but the system is giving priority to the phone line. In that case, is there a lost of phone for a short time (let's say a minute or so) before going on the UPS ?

When the tech comes Friday see if he can bypass your alarm for the time being and leave it unplugged (if you are comfortable with this) and have tour equipment plugged in without going through the alarm and see for a few days if you lose your service with the alarm not present.

This is a good idea. However, will I be able to replug the alarm ?

btech805
Canada

btech805

If the alarm is taking priority, you would lose all services until the alarm releases the line.

If you can get the tech to bypass the alarm have him put in a simple way for you to reconnect it (if he seems like a nice guy/gal, as we really aren't supposed to do this...) such as putting a jack or device with the phone line connected to and another with the alarm wired into where it would be as simple as you plugging a phone cord from one jack to the other to reactivate the alarm, or on the other hand if youve gone a few days without losing service once they've bypassed the alarm, you're going to have to call the alarm company anyways and have them come service the system anyways and they can reconnect it then...
benoitgphoto6
Saint-Jerome, QC

benoitgphoto6

Thanks for the information...it's greatly appreciated.