spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ohhhhman
@myvzw.com

ohhhhman

Anon

broadband outage for berea oh

Cable modem is blinking on the cable connection light when it was just woking an hour ago. If this is an isolated case disregard but I would like to know why cable box is good for data and not my modem.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

1 edit

slyphoxj

said by ohhhhman :

Cable modem is blinking on the cable connection light when it was just woking an hour ago. If this is an isolated case disregard but I would like to know why cable box is good for data and not my modem.

(Posting from my phone)

Nope it's not just you. I've been down for about an hour now here just a bit north of you. My TV services all seem fine. I called WOW and I was told it would be another 2 to 3 hours before it would be back. I was told that equipment needed to be replaced to fix tonight's issue and that there would be a scheduled maintenance down the road (WOW_Dan, could you elaborate on this scheduled maintenance?).

I'm on the verge of going back to Time Warner tomorrow... I had fewer problems with my internet that I have with WOW... hopefully they're still decent in my 'hood. Or I might just grab that $19.99 (or was it $19.95) 6/0.7 DSL and keep my landline and just forget the whole VoIP thing.

UPDATE: It's back as of 3:22 am.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

said by slyphoxj:

I'm on the verge of going back to Time Warner tomorrow... I had fewer problems with my internet that I have with WOW... hopefully they're still decent in my 'hood.

Sure hope you don't watch anything on CBS.

afsdf
@wideopenwest.com

afsdf

Anon

Time Warner CBS battle does not effect the Greater Cleveland area.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to ohhhhman

Premium Member

to ohhhhman
said by ohhhhman :

There was an equipment upgrade done last night for the Berea area. This was a scheduled maintenance. 1am-5am is the typical maintenance window for work that needs to be done.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to afsdf

to afsdf
said by afsdf :

Time Warner CBS battle does not effect the Greater Cleveland area.

Sorry, not too up on it other than watching David Letterman bash Time Warner.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
said by Just_Dan:

said by ohhhhman :

There was an equipment upgrade done last night for the Berea area. This was a scheduled maintenance. 1am-5am is the typical maintenance window for work that needs to be done.

Yeah, so why did this equipment "upgrade" not address the 10-40% packet loss being observed every day starting at almost exactly 5:10PM?

Oh right. I should remember the source.

And how convenient he goes on vacation right when they break their infrastructure.
RootWyrm

RootWyrm to ohhhhman

to ohhhhman
Click for full size
First hop eopenwest.com)
I'm gonna bump this thread every day my monitoring and equipment shows packet loss starting at or around 18:15. That's 6:15PM local, or typical start of peak, and a very clear indicator that the infrastructure is overtaxed either due to insufficient equipment or incorrect configuration of the amplifiers or CMTSes.

I would look to my modem's signal levels, but Wide Open West is continuing to refuse to permit DPC2100 customers served out of Blaze Parkway to perform any diagnostics or external monitoring by blind blocking ports on the modem from the Ethernet interface and blocking all ICMP to customers for no reason other than to prevent monitoring or tests via BBR. Go ahead. Point your browser to 192.168.100.1 and watch the filter prevent you from accessing the webpage to check your signal levels. Oh, and don't pretend also blocking SNMP wasn't a big middle finger to me specifically as well.

So hey. Bump for August 23, average packet loss starting at or around 6:15PM of 20% and still continuing intermittently coupled to some SERIOUS latency jitter today - 20ms deviation ain't cool.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj

said by RootWyrm:

I'm gonna bump this thread every day my monitoring and equipment shows packet loss starting at or around 18:15. That's 6:15PM local, or typical start of peak, and a very clear indicator that the infrastructure is overtaxed either due to insufficient equipment or incorrect configuration of the amplifiers or CMTSes.

I would look to my modem's signal levels, but Wide Open West is continuing to refuse to permit DPC2100 customers served out of Blaze Parkway to perform any diagnostics or external monitoring by blind blocking ports on the modem from the Ethernet interface and blocking all ICMP to customers for no reason other than to prevent monitoring or tests via BBR. Go ahead. Point your browser to 192.168.100.1 and watch the filter prevent you from accessing the webpage to check your signal levels. Oh, and don't pretend also blocking SNMP wasn't a big middle finger to me specifically as well.

So hey. Bump for August 23, average packet loss starting at or around 6:15PM of 20% and still continuing intermittently coupled to some SERIOUS latency jitter today - 20ms deviation ain't cool.

I just went to »192.168.100.1 on my tablet and had no problem getting into all the pages of my DPC2100's web interface... maybe it's just you? I am in Brook Park and am served out of the Blaze Pkwy. location also.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm

said by slyphoxj:

I just went to »192.168.100.1 on my tablet and had no problem getting into all the pages of my DPC2100's web interface... maybe it's just you? I am in Brook Park and am served out of the Blaze Pkwy. location also.

That just makes it more blatant. Not that I would put it past Dan Della-Terza or Mike Doty in Corporate Network Engineering, whose LinkedIn is here:
»www.linkedin.com/profile ··· 60073832 (All the info shows if you search of course.)
Keeps adding more crap but still hasn't learned that it's a DSLAM - Digital Subscriber Line Access Module - not a "D slam." But hey, claiming a WRT54G as "Cisco," obsolete and irrelevant bottom-end gear and lying to customers and management has clearly served him and Dan both well so far.
And it's clearly worked quite well for Mister Kirk Zerkle; he's been promoted to VP and GM of Huntsville and Knoxville territories. How's his work going there after taking over early last year?
»Review of WOW Internet and Cable by cwcjr - pretty awful, I think the customers would say. Or rather: have been saying. Fixing the infrastructure out there? Yeah.. doesn't take a year. Hell, converting ALL the LANcity systems to DOCSIS didn't take a year and that involved ripping out both CPE and from the amps back at the head end.

You know, there sure are a lot of people with regulatory oversight who would like to know about the things WOW has done and continues to do wrong. The lax to non-existent security. Yah, I've reported many times through appropriate channels that WOW hasn't turned off SNMPv2c on critical devices including on routed IPs, the "stealthed" proxies are neither stealthed nor secure, they have multiple DNS servers fail open resolver checks and have no RRL, they filter ICMP traffic but don't filter correctly at CPE, list goes on. This is all stuff anybody with the most basic understanding of security can find out in 5 minutes and fix. Hell, IIRC Arris even put out an advisory regarding recursive open resolvers and CPE configs.
Here. I'll save them time I shouldn't be saving them yet again. I've offered to help multiple times, I've explained and pointed to fixes and advisories multiple times.
»openresolverproject.org/ ··· 33.207.2
»openresolverproject.org/ ··· 4.0%2F24
»openresolverproject.org/ ··· 9.0%2F24
And that's just three /24's checked - out of 63 prefixes (no IPv6 still, not smart enough to do that obviously, so block customers by blocking ICMP) with a total of 49,664 IPs originating.

But it's time for today's bump anyway. Hey look. It's even WORSE than yesterday's. Stars at about 17:20 today, with a nice long 5 HOURS of packet loss that suddenly mysteriously clears up when everyone goes to bed.
RootWyrm

RootWyrm

Click for full size
Click for full size
Time for another bump.

When you look up antonyms for improving, they use pictures like this to illustrate. I could MAYBE forgive the higher jitter since the weather is likely causing issues at the pole. (Welcome to operating RF plant in temperate climes. Nothing to be done there sometimes.)

Can't forgive when it's so obviously tied to usage patterns. Especially amusing: the jitter started at 9AM on Sunday, and the packetloss was around 90% constant starting at about 1:30PM and continuing till about 2:30PM.
And hey, as everyone tunes in to watch Breaking Bad, it goes through the roof. (Sarcasm) So cleaaarly it's not RF plant related, nope. (End Sarcasm)

It's shades of As-Originally-Built. "Hey, 3x T1's in a Cisco 3620 will be PLENTY for 15,000 customers." Except as originally built, it at least had enough to handle the RF plant traffic. And now it very obviously doesn't.
Maybe they pulled one of their Arris C4's to send to Knology in a futile attempt to avoid villagers with torches and pitchforks?
Expand your moderator at work