graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

[Cable] 10 mbps up "Plus" packages

A friend of mine was telling me that start offers "plus" packages for cable that boosts upload speeds to 10 mbps for about $10 for cable (rogers territory). Would TSI consider something like this in the future? Perhaps something to think about once all the current speed chaos is figured out.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Re: [Cable] 10 mbps up "Plus" packages

Lets get the rest of the POI's moved to aggregated first, and let things level out before we start adding stuff like that eh? I mean for all we know rCable *could* be moving in that general direction anyways a month or two from now to come neck and neck with cCable you know.

Just my five cents.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
i think Marc has already said it could/might happen.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to graniterock
There was definitely some interest in this when we all noticed the announcement on Start's forum. The discussion here, »[Cable] Start's 10 upload add-on, hope TSI can do same ?, was quite positive about this being a future possibility.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to graniterock
What do you think start would do if rogers starts to offer the 10mbps up to every package for free like cogeco is doing, haha. just stop charging? i guess they would have to because everyone else would be giving it for "free"

awebber
Premium
join:2003-04-02
Gloucester, ON
reply to graniterock
Maybe, or like currently with 150/10 unlimited, just keep offering it and recognize you can't beat Rogers/Bell for every customer on every package.

(Rogers has reintroduced $30/mo for UL internet, so 150/10 becomes $153/mo; presuambly TSI won't feel they have to match just because it's there, especially if it means taking a loss).

=aw
--
Webber's occasional bargain blog: www.wwwebber.com

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to mikee
said by mikee:

What do you think start would do if rogers starts to offer the 10mbps up to every package for free like cogeco is doing, haha. just stop charging? i guess they would have to because everyone else would be giving it for "free"

Considering Rogers just upgraded everyone from 1Mbit to 2/3/4M upload I highly doubt it will happen any time soon. Especially since Rogers doesn't actually compete with Cogeco at all.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
Bell has 25/10 and 50/10... In the same footprint.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
said by TSI Marc:

of course, but they've had 10M for a while too and Rogers' response was to increase the upload just this year to 2/3/4M and 10M for the 150 package.

the person I responded to asked if Cogeco going to 10M upload would pressure Rogers. i guess reading his post again maybe he meant simply following Cogeco but I just don't see it happening this year or next with the new speeds being finally made available on the upload.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

Right and to do more than that it would have been very difficult without, say, changing all the RF frequencies and causing major problems everywhere and causing significant delays across the board... Sound familiar?

Either way.. Time will tell. We will be good to go either way..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to graniterock
The 10 meg upstream upgrade happened in Quebec pretty much province-wide without any major RF disruptions... or at least I haven't heard about issues similar to what Rogers has had...

The thing is that not everybody qualifies for VDSL2 (I can get 50/10, but a few blocks away, still in the downtown core, the highest speed is 15/1 ADSL2+)... but pretty much everybody who qualifies for cable qualifies for at least 20/10
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

Sure, Vidéotron its their primary business, they are generally the most progressive on their wireline.. Rogers theirs is wireless..

Either way, its just a gut feeling of mine. Totally speculative. I just know that Rogers doesn't like to be second at anything... If they could have done 10, I think they would have. They did major upgrades earlier this year just to offer the higher speeds on the download... Upload is more complicated.

It's hard to look at what's going on and not think that something is up...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Johnik

@teksavvy.com
Hi do you think rogers wants to take out tekSavvy? Why is it so hard to fix this problem Marc?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
The RF problems affect Rogers customers too, don't they?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Johnik
said by Johnik :

Hi do you think rogers wants to take out tekSavvy? Why is it so hard to fix this problem Marc?

I do not think they are trying to take out TekSavvy. I also don't think they are doing us any special favors...

The problems that exist right now are mostly due to delays in responding to tickets. We are now seeing 6 days of delays. I don't know why they are so delayed. I was told that things should have started to improve this week but I haven't seen that yet.

The slow speed problems, I will explain more once they figure out exactly what it is that caused the problem but I can say that it was not a capacity problem on their side or on ours... now that they have a fix implemented, everybody has plenty of capacity. The problem was on their side but it is not yet known exactly what it is.

past that, the types of problems we are hoping to solve are things like dynamic routing so that if there are fiber cuts and some of our links are cut that it should automatically fail over to the other links and not degrade everybody.

with regards to communication in general we are trying to improve the dialogue at all levels.

and with DHCP problems, we are hoping to improve the process so that these kinds of problems become rare if at all. There's no reason that this can not be achieved. We provide IPs within an hour of receiving requests yet we are seeing 4 days of outages on average right now when these occur.

In general, I think all TPIA are seeing the same problems but to different degrees generally related to size and generally with how transparent they are. So it may look like these things are not happening, but I can assure you that none of them are immune. Even from the slow speed problem. I think we happen to be very transparent and so it may look worse than it actually is at times. We may even change the way we show outages to be more specific in order to better represent the scale of various problems but that's not easy to do when you cover the majority of the country.

For our part, we continue to work hard and I hope that in the months ahead many of these problems will be a thing of the past.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

ry29

join:2010-05-12
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Hence my recent switch back to dsl. I figure rCable would never catch up anytime soon

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Unfortunately bell still only goes up to 6/1 for most of London. However start is advertising the 10 for London postal codes for cable.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
right, anywhere where 150/10 speeds are available...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

awebber
Premium
join:2003-04-02
Gloucester, ON
reply to graniterock
quote:
the person I responded to asked if Cogeco going to 10M upload would pressure Rogers. i guess reading his post again maybe he meant simply following Cogeco ...
I read it asking what Start would do if Rogers offered 10M upload (on packages with download 150M). My answer was that they'd probably not respond to it, as TSI doesn't rush to pricematch $153 for 150/10 UL.

=aw