Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Can't all be...

cordcutters.
-unemployed
-relocated
-switched to another source (OTA, Dsat...)
-other
cpumodem
Premium Member
join:2003-09-28
Spokane, WA

cpumodem

Premium Member

Heck the FCC couldn't accurately count how many employees the agency has. Do you really think this number is correct?

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
When you talk to yourself about "I'm paying over $100 a month for this.." it all becomes more clear.

The more people spend on services the more wealth they throw away.

rrm
@tresourcegroup.com

rrm

Anon

So true, its too expensive and they make it like its a drop in the bucket.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to cpumodem

to cpumodem
said by cpumodem:

Heck the FCC couldn't accurately count how many employees the agency has. Do you really think this number is correct?

Considering nearly all these companies have quarterly reports that specifically state how many customers they have I'd say it would be fairly easy to come up with the number.

88615298 (banned) to firephoto

to firephoto
said by firephoto:

When you talk to yourself about "I'm paying over $100 a month for this.." it all becomes more clear.

Yes better to hoard money and never spend it because that makes sense. If you died with a million in the bank whatever you going to do with it then?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Quality vs value (or perceived value) is at issue..
The QUALITY of cable-tv is unarguably the biggest deflator of value today than in it's 45 year history. From commercials that spanned from 10 minutes of every hour (in the beginning) to 25 minutes of every hour. You pay more and get less these days, whereas voice communications and internet values have almost consistently gone up (despite 10+ years of dysfunctional monopoly and duopoly malfeasance flattening the curve every day).

So the objective of the game is to spend the money wisely on something that gives you value & satisfaction. These days, cable-tv industry can't make that argument as much as they could in the past when we had a common culture & great economy.

Many consumers used to spend $15+ on compact disc music.. guess what happened to that market value proposition? Sure consumers are hoarding their music money.. BAAAD CONSUMERS!! When consumers an buy hydrogen cars.. BAD consumers, hoarding that gasoline money. It's called the transition of culture & technology and market share.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

cordcutters.
-unemployed
-relocated
-switched to another source (OTA, Dsat...)
-other

I'm not sure. I live on a street with about 22 houses and I know of three that don't get cable. One is a religious family who claims programming is all pretty much evil. Ok probably discount them as out of the norm. I cut the cord because I just like to do things like that and I don't watch that much TV. An older couple who lives down the street was checking out my set up and decided to cut the cord once they saw things like Netflix and Pandora in action. Add an antenna, all the local channels for news etc. $100 a month cable bill verses a couple of hundred in equipment and a $9 a month Netflix subscription, can't go wrong.

3 out of 22 is a significant number even if you get rid of the religious family that's 2 cord cutters out of 22.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by firephoto:

Yes better to hoard money and never spend it because that makes sense. If you died with a million in the bank whatever you going to do with it then?

See, you try to spin in it a way to justify spending money on "services" as it's just something to spend money on, but the reality is that real goods can be bought and sold or invested into. People can even save money to put towards real things, they can slowly accumulate real things and sell the lot to acquire more valuable real things.

Digital music you rent, smart phone data, the phone itself, pay television, the list goes on.. they all just piss money away that you will have no chance of seeing again, with the exception being if you use those services to make money so it's more of an operating cost.

People's income is being preyed on by those who wish to see it spent on services rather than investments and real things that can appreciate in value.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to cableties

to cableties
One of the problems with how the industry was collecting their data was they were only looking at how many existing customers dropped.

The problem is that many 20-something people moving out of their parents do not get TV, so the industry was not keeping track of how the new generation was purchasing services.

Effectively, the industry was saying "people 40 and older don't seem to be cutting the cord", but what about the other half of the adult population?

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

said by Bengie25:

The problem is that many 20-something people moving out of their parents do not get TV, so the industry was not keeping track of how the new generation was purchasing services.

Actually the stats say the present 20 something generation is in bad shape, they live at home with their parents and can't afford anything. Student loans are huge and there is a worry in the business world that this generation simply won't be buying starter homes, cars or anything for many years to come. That's a really problem when you have the baby boomers wanting to down size homes and cut expenses so they can retire.
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

ShellMMG to Bengie25

to Bengie25
When we cut the cord nearly three years ago (well...it was a satellite dish) we were in our mid 40's. The price kept going up, we had no premium services like HD, and programming was appalling.

We have a love/hate relationship with OTA. I'm sure if we got a better antenna we'd get more than 6 channels (and four of them are PBS. Puhleese!), but we are slowly being teased to get DISH because of one channel. Cable isn't an option.